Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 12:12 PM

38 posts, read 57,787 times

Advertisements

Hi. I hope anyone can offer some advice. My dh dreams of living on a farm,and dilworth seems ideal to me. As a compromise, we are buying a house in twelve oaks. Big lots, trees, but still an actual neighborhood - with no amenities. We want good schools for 9 year old daughter, and access to drama, dance, sports etc for her. We are from phx not nyc, so 350k is a reasonable budget for us.
We originally looked in Matthews - most were too small or too $$ - we actually bought there but the lot/privacy is not okay for dh and I'm a little concerned with future of Butler High. Luckily its a great investment.
We still have up to 6-9 months before we move. Are we going to like it there? Is it too isolated? Too close to Monroe? Any feedback on the builder? Are there factors I'm not even thinking about?
I've been searching the threads to find info, but it never hurts to ask.
We currently live in a beautiful master planned community, have private pool (a must for phx) and are 1/3 mile to gym, movies, chain restaurants and shopping. We are comfortable in this environment but looking for a little more small town community feel. Thanks!

Old 08-30-2012, 12:41 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelbug71 View Post
Hi. I hope anyone can offer some advice. My dh dreams of living on a farm,and dilworth seems ideal to me. As a compromise, we are buying a house in twelve oaks. Big lots, trees, but still an actual neighborhood - with no amenities. We want good schools for 9 year old daughter, and access to drama, dance, sports etc for her. We are from phx not nyc, so 350k is a reasonable budget for us.
We originally looked in Matthews - most were too small or too $$ - we actually bought there but the lot/privacy is not okay for dh and I'm a little concerned with future of Butler High. Luckily its a great investment.
We still have up to 6-9 months before we move. Are we going to like it there? Is it too isolated? Too close to Monroe? Any feedback on the builder? Are there factors I'm not even thinking about?
I've been searching the threads to find info, but it never hurts to ask.
We currently live in a beautiful master planned community, have private pool (a must for phx) and are 1/3 mile to gym, movies, chain restaurants and shopping. We are comfortable in this environment but looking for a little more small town community feel. Thanks!
hmmm....I fail to see the point of asking about whether or not you are going to "like it there" or if it is "too isolated" when you have already bought the house It's basically too late now!

That's a nice area, very popular with transplants, but VERY far out there and completely different than the lifestyle in Dilworth. You'll find the retail, restaurants, sports and dance opportunities in south Charlotte and Matthews and I do hope you enjoy your new home.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:02 PM

Lovesmountains, you are somewhat right, but we could certainly sell if we decided its going to be wrong. Id rather figure that out before we move in than after. We made sure that we bought below market so we could (unless the market tanks re: the election) I know there are no guarantees anywhere. Conventional wisdom would be to rent for a year, but I want to give my daughter the chance to start making friends that she can keep through high school. Since her siblings are all grown, its hard enough to move her across the country away from family and friends.
We felt confident at the time. Dh still does. Maybe I just have the jitters but I still wonder if there is any insiders info we need...like huge hog farm going in next door or builder issues or major redistricting. Ive done my homework, but you guys on this forum are the real pros!

Old 08-30-2012, 06:39 PM

430 posts, read 804,457 times
Weirdly enough, I just heard about the neighborhood this evening from my spin instructor. She loves it there. I'd never heard of it before, but she made it sound great. Personally, I wouldn't like being without a pool in the neighborhood. It's one reason I left my first neighborhood down here. But if you're okay with it, then great! Good schools, lots of nice people in the area. I really don't feel out in the boonies down here, but I'm also more of a suburbs type than a city type.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:35 PM

Thanks Laura, I wondered about the pool as well. It would be a great way to meet and socialize. We also considered Lake Forest Preserve for that reason. I'm glad you like it in Wesley Chapel. Im sure I'll love it as well. Every time we come back to visit we are blown away with how nice and friendly everyone is.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:52 AM

430 posts, read 804,457 times
Is Lake Forest off of 84 in Weddington? I know someone who built there a year ago and raves about it. I guess it's very social as it's still being built up. I feel like I read on here there were a few builder issues though. Take that with a huge grain of salt as I'm not sure I remember correctly, but it might be worth it to do a quick search.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:24 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,184,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralaylin View Post
Is Lake Forest off of 84 in Weddington? I know someone who built there a year ago and raves about it. I guess it's very social as it's still being built up. I feel like I read on here there were a few builder issues though. Take that with a huge grain of salt as I'm not sure I remember correctly, but it might be worth it to do a quick search.
The issue was that the original builder, Orleans, stopped building at the height of the crash.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:25 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,184,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelbug71 View Post
Lovesmountains, you are somewhat right, but we could certainly sell if we decided its going to be wrong.
Not without taking an enormous bath.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:01 AM

Ex-LI, I really hope not. New builds are going up a little. LFP raised prices more than 10% since we looked in March. Twelve Oaks went up just about 1%. I see that resales are still dropping; and we really wanted an older home in an established neighborhood- we love providence plantation - even though the name makes me laugh. The problem with the resales is that they haven't been updated since the 70's or 80's - or they have, but in an awful way. We made an offer on a great house in PP, but between cosmetic and structural repairs it would have needed another $100k, then would have been priced above the neighborhood.
If you buy with your head, not your heart, you shouldn't take a bath. We've had providence so far...

Any thoughts on Essex anyone? I hear crickets.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:10 AM

5,457 posts, read 6,049,852 times
The first 4 or 5 homes as you enter the neighborhood were built before the market crash a few years ago. They stood vacant for quite some time. I noticed deterioration of their property at the time. Sink holes along the driveways, overgrown lots, the need of some minor cosmetic repairs on a couple of them. I haven't been back since the first few houses sold and the remainder of the streets opened up.

I particularly remember as you enter the neighborhood and proceed to the first right turn, the house immediately to the left after the turn had a very steep driveway. It was washed out on either side of the cement and large sinkholes extended under the drive.
If I were interested in the first few homes as I entered Essex I'd be sure I had a trusted inspector to check them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte