Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2012, 11:18 PM

34 posts, read 72,706 times

Advertisements

Planning on relocating to Charlotte in about a year. I realize that the economy is bad everywhere, but was wondering if anyone has any insight into Charlotte's (or the surrounding areas) legal market?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 07:14 AM

7,041 posts, read 14,953,207 times
If you are in reference to legal jobs...forgetaboutit! there were a lot of layoffs during the crisis and attorneys are working as paralegals. Paralegals are squeezed into entry level jobs that pay little. The job market as a whole is pretty bad here. Recommend having the job in hand before moving here.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:39 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,121,831 times
Agree! Personally know three licensed, experienced paralegals who are out of work after law firm downsizing. Just a realistic picture of the situation. As ChiCubs said, you will want job in hand b/f making relocation plans. Good luck!

Old 09-03-2012, 07:43 AM

378 posts, read 701,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Agree! Personally know three licensed, experienced paralegals who are out of work after law firm downsizing. Just a realistic picture of the situation. As ChiCubs said, you will want job in hand b/f making relocation plans. Good luck!
I 2nd/3rd both posts. I was one of those out-of-work paralegals for a year in 2008. I got another job working in a law firm for a year and that firm had money problems also. I'm now out of the law firm aspect of the profession, but am doing legal field-type work for a software company and I LOVE it and it has potential for a new paralegal career if I choose to ever go that route. But, like ani and chicago cubs said, the pickings are slim. Not even signing up with a recruiter will give you any edge. I started getting recruiter calls often about a year ago while I was working a 2nd shift legal proofreader job, about great potential jobs in the area, but when they would tell me what the actual firm wanted I would find that the firms now are looking for the golden candidate and their wishlist will make it hard for a paralegal, even with years of experience, to qualify for that certain job. It used to be very easy to wrangle a job interview through a recruiter or even online ads, but that's just not the case now. Even knowing people in the field isn't much of an advantage. Oh and the pay is a whole other story. When a firm wants a litigation paralegal with at least 5 years of specialized experience, a paralegal certificate and is NC certified, yet they only want to pay you $12.00 an hour and no benefits, that's when you realize how different the atmosphere is now than it was pre-2007ish.

This is all said not knowing the OP's actual legal background of course, but even admin assistant and attorney jobs are hard to come by. If you can parlay your background into another field it may work, if that kind of job is available.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:27 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,846,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikes View Post
Planning on relocating to Charlotte in about a year. I realize that the economy is bad everywhere, but was wondering if anyone has any insight into Charlotte's (or the surrounding areas) legal market?

Thanks in advance.
It all depends on your resume and specialty. Generally, it is tight, but fortunately for those in the legal system, crime is still blooming and getting bigger and bigger. But, it is wise to have a "very" good prospect before coming.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:33 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,121,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepchic View Post
I 2nd/3rd both posts. I was one of those out-of-work paralegals for a year in 2008. I got another job working in a law firm for a year and that firm had money problems also. I'm now out of the law firm aspect of the profession, but am doing legal field-type work for a software company and I LOVE it and it has potential for a new paralegal career if I choose to ever go that route. But, like ani and chicago cubs said, the pickings are slim. Not even signing up with a recruiter will give you any edge. I started getting recruiter calls often about a year ago while I was working a 2nd shift legal proofreader job, about great potential jobs in the area, but when they would tell me what the actual firm wanted I would find that the firms now are looking for the golden candidate and their wishlist will make it hard for a paralegal, even with years of experience, to qualify for that certain job. It used to be very easy to wrangle a job interview through a recruiter or even online ads, but that's just not the case now. Even knowing people in the field isn't much of an advantage. Oh and the pay is a whole other story. When a firm wants a litigation paralegal with at least 5 years of specialized experience, a paralegal certificate and is NC certified, yet they only want to pay you $12.00 an hour and no benefits, that's when you realize how different the atmosphere is now than it was pre-2007ish.

This is all said not knowing the OP's actual legal background of course, but even admin assistant and attorney jobs are hard to come by. If you can parlay your background into another field it may work, if that kind of job is available.
Superb info and great insight into the industry. Would rep ya but evidently, I must spread the love a bit more b/f I can give you rep!

Very astute move you made with switching to the software side of legal work. Wishing you much success!

Old 09-03-2012, 11:58 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,378,063 times
As a legal lady with too much experience, I would tell you the market is definitely open to those with litigation background. Otherwise this market is saturated with out-of-work attorneys who are doing paralegal work. Too many unemployed with a legal background who are working for pennies...feel sorry for real estate attorneys who are doing meaningless work with document review for $25 an hour. The darn secretaries make more than the attorneys. I am not saying it is impossible, but the market has changed tremendously since 2007.

Good luck!

Old 09-04-2012, 12:09 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,353,341 times
I would second everything here.

Most of my legal connections are in the Triad and Triangle, but the word I have gotten on Charlotte legal market is that after 2007 it basically "imploded".

Old 09-04-2012, 12:40 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,724,204 times
I can't understand why the OP wasn't more specific about what kind of job he's looking for and in what sector. "Legal market" is extremely broad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: