Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 07:33 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,596,925 times

Advertisements

another link to a gossip rag or blog to come to the same conclusion?

Old 09-07-2012, 07:34 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,678,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
All of the Charlotte weather stations show 0 rainfall in the last 24 hours. I know we have had none here and my $30 electronic weather station accurately predicted no rain for yesterday evening. There is a blogger from Lake Norman who said that at one of the hotels, that delegates were still trying to give away tickets to the event until Wednesday morning but there were no takers.

IMO, the DNC did a big disservice to Charlotte by switching the event. I don't think there was much of a risk of weather as the storms had pretty much ended before the event was called. But canceling the event did cause a lot of people to leave the city early or not come at all and hotels, who were promised a 4 night event ended up with a 2 night event given that the DNC had already downsized the event to just 3 days instead of 4. Second, Charlotte lost it's big night of national airtime with skyline views of the city and stadium like they had during Denver. There were a lot of promises here to the taxpayers and businesses that were not kept.

Anyone, doing just a little thinking, might have realized that holding an event in the SE in August comes with a weather risk. Yet there appear to have been no contingency plans put in place for holding the event anywhere else should the weather not comply. Thus, I conclude they intended to hold it in the arena come rain or shine (their words) and the only reason they didn't was because they couldn't find the bodies to sit in there. I notice that on the new this morning that alternative venues for watching the President downtown on live TV were close to empty leading credence to this along with all the other evidence.

We will never know for certain of course because that is the nature of "spin".

(before some of you blow a gasket, this is an opinion post, so get over it)
frewroad, get over it w/your "reporting 0 rain in the past 24 hours..."...my office is in south charlotte and we had thunder and a brief downpour yesterday afternoon so I'm calling bullsheet on your post. As there are others in the Charlotte metro that had rain.

I don't like Obama either, but enough already w/trying to prove a point that is total bullshizzle.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:03 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,813,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
frewroad, get over it w/your "reporting 0 rain in the past 24 hours..."...my office is in south charlotte and we had thunder and a brief downpour yesterday afternoon so I'm calling bullsheet on your post. As there are others in the Charlotte metro that had rain.

I don't like Obama either, but enough already w/trying to prove a point that is total bullshizzle.
I concur. I'm in the Lake Point area at Billy Graham and Tyvola and we had a down pour during the time frame you referenced with several lightning strikes in the area.

Additionally, I checked the radar during the time of the speech and there storms in the area with a small storm cell about 5 to 7 miles north east of the stadium. It seem to have died out before reaching it, but it would have been close enough to warrent consideration of moving people inside, or possibly providing a "bolt from the blue".

Old 09-07-2012, 08:04 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,951,260 times
Quote:
frewroad, get over it w/your "reporting 0 rain in the past 24 hours..."...my office is in south charlotte and we had thunder and a brief downpour yesterday afternoon so I'm calling bullsheet on your post. As there are others in the Charlotte metro that had rain..
Unless there is a weather station at your location it would not be online. You can can go to wunderground and list out dozens of weather stations in this area and they will give you the amount of rainfail registered. I didn't see any listed.

However even you described the rain as "brief". Seems like a whole lot about nothing.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:04 AM

6,150 posts, read 9,992,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
It's a complete lie that there was no rain in the last 24 hours. I was in downtown Charlotte yesterday afternoon and it absolutely poured rain. You are entitled to your pinion but not to make up facts!
Confirmed... Uptown was SOAKED yesterday afternoon. Flashes and Boomers. But, one would need to actually be there to know this.

Anyone sitting behind their computer quoting "facts" about the DNC crack me up... Be it the weather, levels of security, or really anything about the event in general - all you're doing is flinging poo fed to you by slanted "sources". In the case of weather - you have to be kidding if you think that it is always 100% accurate.

The event was HERE - in OUR city... Why couldn't you get up off your arses and get out to see for yourselves? Why do you need talking points and sounds bytes from OTHER PEOPLE to define this event when you LIVE HERE and were a quick trip away? It doesn't matter if you're not supporting the POTUS or the Dems - I saw equal amounts of support and negative on both sides in the city.

So it's laughable to me that natives and regulars on this board will continue to tear down the city, organizers, law enforcement - heck, everyone associated with this event because of a political agenda... It's the exact unproductive and negative attitude that is polarizing the country... You want the right to assemble and protest - on and on about the loss of your civil rights. Conspiracy theories... Rain... did you even move a pinky to try and see for yourself? Seriously?

Keep letting empty suits with deep pockets and the biggest financing tell you what to think. True patriotism right there.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Confirmed... Uptown was SOAKED yesterday afternoon. Flashes and Boomers. But, one would need to actually be there to know this.

Anyone sitting behind their computer quoting "facts" about the DNC crack me up... Be it the weather, levels of security, or really anything about the event in general - all you're doing is flinging poo fed to you by slanted "sources". In the case of weather - you have to be kidding if you think that it is always 100% accurate.

The event was HERE - in OUR city... Why couldn't you get up off your arses and get out to see for yourselves? Why do you need talking points and sounds bytes from OTHER PEOPLE to define this event when you LIVE HERE and were a quick trip away? It doesn't matter if you're not supporting the POTUS or the Dems - I saw equal amounts of support and negative on both sides in the city.

So it's laughable to me that natives and regulars on this board will continue to tear down the city, organizers, law enforcement - heck, everyone associated with this event because of a political agenda... It's the exact unproductive and negative attitude that is polarizing the country... You want the right to assemble and protest - on and on about the loss of your civil rights. Conspiracy theories... Rain... did you even move a pinky to try and see for yourself? Seriously?

Keep letting empty suits with deep pockets and the biggest financing tell you what to think. True patriotism right there.
"you must spread some reputation around.."

It's obvious someone is butthurt over the DNC being held in Charlotte. Make you go hmmm.. when a person spends links to russian media and UK media when they could see it with their own eyes.

..and then they turn around and call everyone else sheep? Unreal...

Old 09-07-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Never made that claim. However I assume you apply this same criticism to the DNC how obviously did not have ANY contingency plan for bad weather and had to make this ad hoc change at the 11th hour. A change that canceled bus trips, caused hoteliers to lose a night that was held by the DNC in the first place, etc etc. I said in the very post that you are referring to, that to believe that event in August outside in the SE wouldn't be affected by the unstable weather is folly at best. So please direct your criticism elsewhere.

I didn't come up with this event. I'm only reporting what I see.

In regards to sitting behind a computer, I've told you before that if you don't like what I post, then put me on ignore. You and my other detractors keep coming back for more so what you say doesn't matter. It's the actions that count.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:38 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,678,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Unless there is a weather station at your location it would not be online. You can can go to wunderground and list out dozens of weather stations in this area and they will give you the amount of rainfail registered. I didn't see any listed.

However even you described the rain as "brief". Seems like a whole lot about nothing.
It is a whole lot of nothing. You really hurt yourself in terms of believability w/these rediculous claims of zero rain in the past 24 hours (and knowing full well there were boomers and heavy rain storms around.)

I don't choose to put people on ignore here because that's a cop out in alot of cases...

Next time, cut your losses and admit when your wrong. The anti-DNC crap is very tiresome....

Old 09-07-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
It is a whole lot of nothing. You really hurt yourself in terms of believability w/these rediculous claims of zero rain in the past 24 hours (and knowing full well there were boomers and heavy rain storms around.)

I don't choose to put people on ignore here because that's a cop out in alot of cases...

Next time, cut your losses and admit when your wrong. The anti-DNC crap is very tiresome....
that will never happen...

zero rain, zero accountability

Old 09-07-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
It is a whole lot of nothing. You really hurt yourself in terms of believability w/these rediculous claims of zero rain in the past 24 hours (and knowing full well there were boomers and heavy rain storms around.)...
There was no rain where the event was to be held nor at any weather station making recordings around it. There isn't anything to believe beyond that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte