Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 05:47 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,971,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Thank you.....

The outdoor antenna I had incorrect. This is the one we have. http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Master...utdoor+antenna I don't know if it is any different in quality than the one I thought we had.

Given the above, would you still suggest the antennas you suggested?

We did go to AntennaFool before we bought the outdoor antenna, but they weren't really specific.

Dawn
Hi Dawn, that is a much better antenna than the one you posted before. My recommendation if you are looking to buy and there are some obstruction issues, is still to go with either a DB4 or DB8 configuration. That is a specific brand but there are several different manufacturers who make similar configuration.

The best antenna out there for what we are discussing is a Grey-Hoverman but I don't believe these are sold commercially due to licensing. They have to be constructed. Instructables.com is a good starting place for how to do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Every station from 2 - 12 is VHF, while all stations above it are UHF.
In the analog days this is true. In the digital days it has no meaning until you state what you mean by "channel". In Charlotte the only VHF station is WTVI transmitting on channel 11 and tuned on your TV as channel 42. They have it divided into subchannels so that 42.1 = PBS/CPCC, 42.2 = MHZ Worldview, 42.3 = CreateTV.

All of the remaining TV stations in Charlotte are UHF.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
You should run for office. Ignore the posts that get in the way of your agenda, and pretend what's left over is the entirety of the discussion. You've got the turnarounds and obfuscations down.
Yet your only participation in this topic like most, is to simply start fights. You haven't given one piece of advice on cord cutting or using an antenna in Charlotte. When asked about the practical use of what you said your only answer is... what was it again. oh yeah.... Guess. i.e. waste of time. This topic is about using a Digital TV Antenna in Charlotte. Since you have not done this, in fact think it's a waste of time since you said OTA tuners in TVs are unimportant, then one can conclude your only agenda here is to waste people's time.

-------------------------------

My recommendation to anyone that if you tire of this kind of banter, and since we can't mention it in the open forum, please DM me for a link to another forum that is specific to this sort of thing in Charlotte. There are plenty of people there who are interested in cord cutting and are glad to help with questions on Antennas. If I tell you anything there that is incorrect, I will be quickly corrected by ones who have actually done it. You certainly won't have to deal with the above.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:08 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,488,479 times
So far it is working ok, but we can only get the signal to two of our TVs at the moment, which is why we have an indoor one for the other TV.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Hi Dawn, that is a much better antenna than the one you posted before. My recommendation if you are looking to buy and there are some obstruction issues, is still to go with either a DB4 or DB8 configuration. That is a specific brand but there are several different manufacturers who make similar configuration.

The best antenna out there for what we are discussing is a Grey-Hoverman but I don't believe these are sold commercially due to licensing. They have to be constructed. Instructables.com is a good starting place for how to do this.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:16 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,220,377 times
Quote:
Yet your only participation in this topic like most, is to simply start fights. You haven't given one piece of advice on cord cutting or using an antenna in Charlotte. When asked about the practical use of what you said your only answer is... what was it again. oh yeah.... Guess. i.e. waste of time. This topic is about using a Digital TV Antenna in Charlotte. Since you have not done this, in fact think it's a waste of time since you said OTA tuners in TVs are unimportant, then one can conclude your only agenda here is to waste people's time.

-------------------------------

My recommendation to anyone that if you tire of this kind of banter, and since we can't mention it in the open forum, please DM me for a link to another forum that is specific to this sort of thing in Charlotte. There are plenty of people there who are interested in cord cutting and are glad to help with questions on Antennas. If I tell you anything there that is incorrect, I will be quickly corrected by ones who have actually done it. You certainly won't have to deal with the above.
OK. You win. You installed one antenna and it happened to work, so I guess that trumps 20 years of experience in the business. Yep, turning a few screws beats overseeing hundreds of installs. I certainly can't argue with someone who picks ~30 out-of-context words out of thousands I've said on the topics, and bases his entire dismissal of me on them. If you're just going to ignore 95% of what I post when it is convenient for you, there's no point in continuing a discussion with you.

BTW-one of the late night hosts has a segment in which they take random words from someone's speeches and puts them together to make up what ever that host wants that person to appear to have said. You may consider this for a side job. You've shown some talent for that in this thread.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
I guess that trumps 20 years of experience in the business.
What did you call this? Oh yes, anecdotal. Patting yourself on the back is pointless. Give people here some real advice on how to setup an antenna for Charlotte instead of telling them to guess.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
So far it is working ok, but we can only get the signal to two of our TVs at the moment, which is why we have an indoor one for the other TV.

Dawn
Dawn another solution would be to connect the antenna to a DVR and then stream it to the other TVs. It will require some sort of streaming device at each TV for this to work, but it minimizes the antenna connections that you need to run.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:29 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,220,377 times
Quote:
What did you call this? Oh yes, anecdotal. Patting yourself on the back is pointless. Give people here some real advice on how to setup an antenna for Charlotte instead of telling them to guess.
I can't have a discussion with a person who posts random statements that have no basis in the truth. Your responses have now been completely separated from anything that was actually said.

Have a good night.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:25 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,488,479 times
I doubt we will do that. Each DVR would also require a service I imagine (like Tivo).

What we are doing is using the outdoor antenna for many things and then using the Cable modem split to get local channels for those times when we can't be bothered. The only problem with the free cable is that we do not get NBC.

I might consider getting the $38 antenna you linked for the TV that can't get the outside antenna without more cords/wires run.

For the most part we are content with what we have. We are certainly content with not getting that $100 Directv bill every month!

Thank you for the help.

Dawn

Quote:
Dawn another solution would be to connect the antenna to a DVR and then stream it to the other TVs. It will require some sort of streaming device at each TV for this to work, but it minimizes the antenna connections that you need to run.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:31 PM

415 posts, read 1,150,212 times
Quote:
50% = 3 dB IF AND ONLY IF THE INCOMING SIGNAL IS 6 dB. If the incoming signal is anything but 6 dB, your rules of thumb are invalid. A 3dB loss is a 3dB loss whether the incoming signal was 10 dB or 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 dB. If the incoming signal is 15 dB, then 50% loss = 7.5 dB.
Actually, this is incorrect. ANY increase of 3 dB is a doubling of power, and ANY decrease of 3 dB is a 50% reduction, regardless of the starting point. this is because The decibel scale is logarithmic, not linear.

So, if you reduce the power of a 15 dB signal by 50%, you would now have a 12 dB signal. If you increase a 75 dB signal to 78 dB, you have doubled the power.

A change in power ratio by a factor of 10 is a 10 dB change. A change in power ratio by a factor of two is approximately a 3 dB change.

Decibel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not sure this helps the discussion of how to buy an antenna a whole lot, but facts is facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte