Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 09:34 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,193,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
TO THE OP:

I will reiterate: Make sure whomever works on your home is licensed, bonded & has adequate insurance, certifications, etc. You cannot be too careful. It may cost more, but, you really don't want to be where I am right now. This is your home, probably your biggest investment and someone who does not know what they are doing can ruin it. Please heed my advice or learn how to do it on your own. Beyond that, trust NOBODY without the presentation of documents FIRST.
It's a bathroom fixture, try to keep it in perspective. Handymen aren't going to have all that stuff, and requesting it for that type of work is silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 01:21 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,220,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
He's done good work but you won't do him the service of recommending him to others?!? Handymen thrive, nay LIVE off of referrals!

Don't be so sensitive. It's a message board, people offer their opinions. It was written in good fun, and whether or not you have an awesome handyman who works for cheap that you won't refer is your business. I can't help that it sounds rather odd to me.
I took your post as a slight towards he and I, which it definitely could be. I have recommended him to others on this board, but he's slammed right now. He's turned down work because of how busy he is.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:47 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,033,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
It's a bathroom fixture, try to keep it in perspective. Handymen aren't going to have all that stuff, and requesting it for that type of work is silly.
Well, I am telling you, NOBODY is going to get into my house to do anything...I don't care if it's cleaning the floors....without it.

A bathroom fixture is electrical. Electrical stuff that is not properly done can burn your house down. Just sayin'

Old 09-15-2012, 06:58 PM

441 posts, read 1,487,398 times
Really, it ain't hard.
Black to black
White to white
Copper to copper or green

Black= hot
White= neutral
Copper,green = ground

They wouldn't sell this crap at the big box do it yourself stores if it was quantum physics.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:11 PM

77 posts, read 137,343 times
Mom used Case Handyman for some stuff. They are expensive per hour, but did a good job and she saved a list of "to-do"s for them. Case Remodeling and Handyman Services | CASE

Old 09-17-2012, 09:35 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,804,815 times
Thanks for the recommendations. Did not mean to start a firestorm...Maybe installing a light fixture is simple for others and not for others. Personally i would just rather pay someone to to do it, as Im not all that handy when it comes to that sort or thing.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:57 AM

529 posts, read 1,203,132 times
Replacing light fixtures is sometimes easy, involving just a screwdriver, but that's not always the case. I had to cut the drywall and install a new electrical box when upgrading our "contractor special" bathroom fixtures.

On a related note: I would appreciate recommendations for a handyman who is skilled in repairing wood rot.
(Perhaps we can have an Official Handyman Recommendation thread?)

Old 09-18-2012, 08:42 AM

622 posts, read 1,782,377 times
I have been doing "handyman" services in addition to real estate. Currently I am considering focusing on the handyman services in lieu of real estate as I enjoy the hands-on aspect.

I am experienced (20+ years) in many areas and have the proper tools for any project I accept.

If anyone is interested, please DM me and I will provide my skill sets and rates. I did not put them on CD as it might violate the terms of service.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:11 AM

8 posts, read 25,638 times
Default Handyman Recommendations

IMHO, Angie's List takes the guesswork out of hiring a handyman. we've been using it for abut 10 years an never been steered wrong. It's worth every penny of the annual subscription price. I wouldn't consider using a handyman before checking him out on the List.
See Angie's List Charlotte, NC | Reviews, Ratings and Deals

Good luck,
D

Old 09-22-2012, 09:07 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,161,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
TO THE OP:

I will reiterate: Make sure whomever works on your home is licensed, bonded & has adequate insurance, certifications, etc. You cannot be too careful. It may cost more, but, you really don't want to be where I am right now. This is your home, probably your biggest investment and someone who does not know what they are doing can ruin it. Please heed my advice or learn how to do it on your own. Beyond that, trust NOBODY without the presentation of documents FIRST.
I agree that licensed/insured contractors should be only choice, but until most of us get to hear what could happen if the wrong contractors are involved, most would go for the less expensive option...

Do you mind to share your bad experience, so we can all learn from it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte