U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 11:12 AM

2,352 posts, read 4,033,501 times

Advertisements

If you've ridden by the area, you probably know this already. I've been housebound, so didn't see the banner -

Krispy Kreme to open in Charlotte's Cotswold in September - Charlotte Business Journal

I'm so glad Krispy Kreme is opening an in-town store! Right in Cotswold, where the Wendy's was located close to N. Sharon Amity & Randolph.

I bet they'll do well there! I've cut back on the KK's, but will sure be glad to get them "hot, now" when I do indulge.

I've missed the store at Independence & Hawthorne since it closed way back when. Very fond memories of getting a treat there when we'd go to events at the "old" Coliseum (circuses, Ice Capades, and high school graduations), or when we'd visit folks at the hospital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 11:24 AM

2,149 posts, read 2,621,986 times
I'm a little surprised by the lack of those stores around the area really given their corporate office location just up the road.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:25 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,953,446 times
Yeah, it's a mystery why they pulled out of Charlotte. At one time there were several big stand alone stores around Charlotte. There was even one inside the Lowes in Huntersville.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:32 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,141,087 times
Woot! Article says - 40 jobs will come along with that shop! I wish it were a bit closer to me but I have been known to drive a bit for a KK!

I remember the KK you are referring to but that has been a long time ago! I always stopped there when in that area of Independence . . . and the other one I stopped at regularly was in Salisbury, as my parents lived in Salisbury and I would visit them usually on Sundays . . . and always stop at that KK on my way back home.

Maybe it is just me, but the donuts do not seem exactly the same as they did "back then." Or maybe time makes some memories even fonder, lol. I keep thinking they were bigger . . . regardless, I love a fresh KK donut!

Old 09-08-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Maybe it is just me, but the donuts do not seem exactly the same as they did "back then." !
You are remembering correctly, they are different now. Krispy Kreme no longer uses the store boiled icing like they did back in those old stores. I think the store that you guys are referring to on Independence and it's twin on Wilkenson were the last ones to still make their own icing when they were closed. I remember those hot doughnuts would just dissolve (for lack of a better word) into flavor before you even chewed them.

That's the biggest reason they are different now.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Yeah, it's a mystery why they pulled out of Charlotte. At one time there were several big stand alone stores around Charlotte. There was even one inside the Lowes in Huntersville.
I'm not gonna google, but IIRC, they expanded too quickly after they first offered stock & had to close quite a few stores to stay viable. This was right when downtown businesses were closing, and suburban shops were doing well. Only their most profitable stores stayed.

That's not why the Independence store closed; that was due to the widening of Independence & creation of the Hawthorne bridge.

I'm glad to see them grow again. Hope it's being managed more realistically.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
You are remembering correctly, they are different now. Krispy Kreme no longer uses the store boiled icing like they did back in those old stores. I think the store that you guys are referring to on Independence and it's twin on Wilkenson were the last ones to still make their own icing when they were closed. I remember those hot doughnuts would just dissolve (for lack of a better word) into flavor before you even chewed them.

That's the biggest reason they are different now.
YES!!!! Exact!! That is what they did - dissolve!

And I have said over and over - the glazing is NOT the same - it is too thick for me now. I end up scraping part of it off. It was a thinner glaze!

I never had anyone explain about the icing being made differently. Thank you so much for that bit of info -- explains why I don't think I am eating exactly the same donut.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
YES!!!! Exact!! That is what they did - dissolve!

And I have said over and over - the glazing is NOT the same - it is too thick for me now. I end up scraping part of it off. It was a thinner glaze!

I never had anyone explain about the icing being made differently. Thank you so much for that bit of info -- explains why I don't think I am eating exactly the same donut.
I remember a short-lived store in Myers Park, at Queens & Providence. They had *frozen* pre made doughnuts brought in. They were, technically, "cooked" there, (proofed & fried) but they were nothing like the real KK. I think they must have stopped that practice.

I still get the thinner glaze occasionally (some of my mystery shops have been for Krispy Kreme!), but, yeah, usually it's too thick for me, too. Guess they feel they can't trust random employees to get it right.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
I remember a short-lived store in Myers Park, at Queens & Providence. They had *frozen* pre made doughnuts brought in. They were, technically, "cooked" there, (proofed & fried) but they were nothing like the real KK. I think they must have stopped that practice.

I still get the thinner glaze occasionally (some of my mystery shops have been for Krispy Kreme!), but, yeah, usually it's too thick for me, too. Guess they feel they can't trust random employees to get it right.
Now that I know you mystery shop, I am going to be asking for thumbs up or down on anything and everything!!!

Old 09-08-2012, 11:55 AM

It's cheaper to ship icing premade in a plastic bag that's squeezed out. Good boiled icing from scratch takes some skill to make. It's even more difficult, I'd imagine, in restaurant quantities. It's worth it though. It's like the difference between a good homemade cake and one of those greesy and too sweet grocery store cakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or