Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 01:49 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times

Advertisements

Former Democratic National Committee boss Terry McAuliffe gave high praise to the city of Charlotte for hosting this year's event.
"I think we should make Charlotte--I went up and saw your mayor for a little bit--and I said we ought to make this the permanent site," McAuliffe said smiling.

MSNBC "Morning Joe" co-host Willie Geist gave high praise, too.
"The energy in Charlotte has been incredible. We just came from Tampa. They had a great convention but the downtown area didn't have anywhere near this energy. You walk around, the streets are full of excitement," he said. "You can tell why people really like to live here in Charlotte."

We should pat each other on the back in sharing what we love about the Queen City.

What the next big event for Charlotte? Super Bowl, Olympics?
Atlanta had the Olympics ten years after it held a political convention.

read more here with video Former DNC chair: 'We ought to make this the permanent site' | Nation / World News - The News Tribune

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-08-2012 at 02:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 01:53 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,038,729 times
AWESOME!! And, that is a great response to all the naysayers both on this forum as well as within Charlotte itself!

Old 09-08-2012, 01:56 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,196,373 times
I would be ok with NOT hosting the olympics.

A superbowl would be sweet though.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:10 PM

85 posts, read 185,127 times
Very few of those energized even live in Charlotte. MSNBC interviewed tons of people behind the set at Epicentre, all were DNCers. The skyscrapers were empty, traffic was light and restaurants outside of downtown have said their business was off 50% or more and thought about closing.

Charlotte was brought to its knees worse than a 1/2 inch snowfall.
The DNC brought the party and the energy, not Charlotte.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:12 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Isn't it possible that we're being stroked a little? It's certainly not realistic that any city would be the permanent location for the DNC, so what's the harm in a former DNC official giving us some props?

A Super Bowl would be great, but I agree, the Olympics would leave us with too many facilities that we couldn't use effectively going forward. Plus I don't think we have nearly enough infrastructure to support it.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:16 PM

601 posts, read 964,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Former Democratic National Committee boss Terry McAuliffe gave high praise to the city of Charlotte for hosting this year's event.
"I think we should make Charlotte--I went up and saw your mayor for a little bit--and I said we ought to make this the permanent site," McAuliffe said smiling.

MSNBC "Morning Joe" co-host Willie Geist gave high praise, too.
"The energy in Charlotte has been incredible. We just came from Tampa. They had a great convention but the downtown area didn't have anywhere near this energy. You walk around, the streets are full of excitement," he said. "You can tell why people really like to live here in Charlotte."

We should pat each other on the back in sharing what we love about the Queen City.

read more here with video Former DNC chair: 'We ought to make this the permanent site' | Nation / World News - The News Tribune

[LEFT]

[/LEFT]
I think the next big event Charlotte should host, outside of the Superbowl, is the Pan American Games. It should be noted that the last city in the USA to host the PAG was Indianapolis, in 1987. They were also roughly the same size as Charlotte is today. If Charlotte applies for the next PAG, we could host one in the 2020s, giving us plenty of time to prepare. Many of the fields in Charlotte could be used for the events, like the BoA stadium, Memorial stadium, and the stadiums and fields at UNCC and Johnson C Smith. We should also have the Blue Line up and running by then, with possibly the Red and most of the Street Car lines as well.

Charlotte should put their hat in the ring for this one. I believe that if Charlotte can pull of the Pan American Games, then it shouldn't be too much of a problem to do the Olympics several years later.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:25 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Actually Sunny, I think Atlanta's DNC was in 1988 then the city hosted the Olympics 8 years later in 1996. I have my doubts about Charlotte hosting the Olympics anytime soon, but the Superbowl is most certainly within reach. If we can get the LYNX running up to UNC Charlotte and perhaps add a stadium with a retractable roof to uptown's building stock; the Superbowl will come here (no doubt about it!!!!).

Old 09-08-2012, 02:27 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,106 times
My opinion: This is nothing more than pandering to the voters in the largest city in a swing state.

The only way Charlotte becomes a permanent DNC host is if North Carolina becomes a permanent swing state.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:37 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Actually Sunny, I think Atlanta's DNC was in 1988 then the city hosted the Olympics 8 years later in 1996. I have my doubts about Charlotte hosting the Olympics anytime soon, but the Superbowl is most certainly within reach. If we can get the LYNX running up to UNC Charlotte and perhaps add a stadium with a retractable roof to uptown's building stock; the Superbowl will come here (no doubt about it!!!!).
Why do we need a retractable roof? It's barely cold in February.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:40 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times
I'll be he says that to all the girls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte