U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 09:05 AM

85 posts, read 160,321 times

Advertisements

Come on down. You're gonna love Charlotte. We need a few more 20 something men around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 08:59 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,269,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man From Utopia View Post
Come on down. You're gonna love Charlotte. We need a few more 20 something men around here.
I'm sure all the 20-something women would agree

Old 09-11-2012, 05:46 PM

123 posts, read 511,747 times
Sorry everyone, I've been doing a lot of running around. A former college professor of mine has a friend who is fairly high up in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools. I've been out of school for three years now and unfortunately for teaching it is terrible...more teachers are getting laid off than getting jobs in NJ. Charlotte's schools are hiring at a rapid rate and her friend basically told me to start packing my bags and that she will most likely be able to do something for me. I do not know yet where I would be working, but I am just trying to get a feel online for the areas, as I have never been there before.

I have lived my entire life in a very small, homogenous, suburban, upscale community that is in the NYC metro area and went to a college in NJ that is in a very similar community. I am admittedly sheltered but very open to other people and lifestyles. I'm not afraid of living near a "sketchy" area but want to make sure where I am would be considered safe. I just don't want to have to worry about gunshots all the time, or whether my car will be there in the morning.

This is huge for me. I'm excited but nervous. I've never lived away from home except for when I was in the dorms. I love my parents and siblings, but if I receive a job offer I have to do it. I didn't work all those years in school and since to not have my dream come true, even if it means relocation.

How is Steele Creek? We found an apartment community with excellent ratings and reviews that matches our budget.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:47 PM

123 posts, read 511,747 times
Oh, and I never said anything is better than Jersey. That was someone else. I have an immense amount of pride for my hometown and state, and will always defend my love for it. LOL! Just a side note...

Old 09-11-2012, 06:56 PM

167 posts, read 151,872 times
Can anyone that relocated from the NW New Jersey area to the Lk, Norman area tell me if the property taxes are really much lower? I am paying 8000.00 a year on a house about 2200 sf...I've heard all kinds of things...
Also I am a retired Police Officer and my wife will be retiring from her school job. Both of us will have state pensions...Are they taxable in N. Carolina?

Old 09-11-2012, 08:21 PM

12 posts, read 13,215 times
Ipdsharkey, I sent you a pm.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:49 PM
NDL

3,113 posts, read 3,605,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegeguy12 View Post
How is Steele Creek? We found an apartment community with excellent ratings and reviews that matches our budget.
I don't know where in Jersey you're from, but much of Charlotte reminds me of Manalapan/Marlboro or Holmdel, in density and in feel, (though Charlotte's density is generally greater).

Charlotte has some very nice areas, and some very nasty areas. The thing about Charlotte however, is that problem areas aren't always recognizable by simply driving through them. This is something to keep in mind at all times: you might not recognize how bad an area is, until you're the victim of a crime, or you read about an area (crime) in the paper.

Again, this doesn't apply to all of Charlotte, for many parts of Charlotte are perfectly safe. Just be a little selective about where you go, until you gain a level of familiarity with the city.

Steele Creek is, for the most part, nice (though others can give you better info). It might be a little boring for a 20 something person. Shopping abounds, and there are some great parks nearby, as is Lake Wylie.

I wish you the best of luck.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:16 PM

5,869 posts, read 7,695,121 times
Agree, for the most part Steele Creek is nice and safe, and while there are things to do, it may not be exactly ideal for 20-somethings. But it seems like the only complaints I really hear about the area are some of the schools (which I'm assuming you aren't concerned with) and planes flying overhead (which I would imagine wouldn't be a huge deal for you).

IMO, with 485 incomplete, depending on where exactly in the area you are, Steele Creek is pretty convenient as far as getting to other places in the metro if you are still unsure where your job will be. Although if your connection is with CMS that is on the edge of Mecklenburg County.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:58 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,987,180 times
Quote:
Sorry everyone, I've been doing a lot of running around. A former college professor of mine has a friend who is fairly high up in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools. I've been out of school for three years now and unfortunately for teaching it is terrible...more teachers are getting laid off than getting jobs in NJ. Charlotte's schools are hiring at a rapid rate and her friend basically told me to start packing my bags and that she will most likely be able to do something for me. I do not know yet where I would be working, but I am just trying to get a feel online for the areas, as I have never been there before.

I have lived my entire life in a very small, homogenous, suburban, upscale community that is in the NYC metro area and went to a college in NJ that is in a very similar community. I am admittedly sheltered but very open to other people and lifestyles. I'm not afraid of living near a "sketchy" area but want to make sure where I am would be considered safe. I just don't want to have to worry about gunshots all the time, or whether my car will be there in the morning.

This is huge for me. I'm excited but nervous. I've never lived away from home except for when I was in the dorms. I love my parents and siblings, but if I receive a job offer I have to do it. I didn't work all those years in school and since to not have my dream come true, even if it means relocation.

Just wanted to ask a question b/c I became concerned as I read this -- that you might be coming WITHOUT a contract signed -- assuming you will get a teaching job?

I would highly recommend against doing this. I hope I misread and what you meant was - you are just getting prepared in case you do land a teaching position - NOT the "promise" or "hope" for one.

We have had rounds of teacher layoffs here, too. I am a bit concerned about the statement that this school system is hiring a lot of teachers. My understanding is that at least a portion of those re-hires are folks who were laid off earlier.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:16 AM

21,848 posts, read 27,113,574 times
Quote:

The last 3 years have seen massive retirements in NJ. because of Christy's assault on teachers. Not all retired teachers were replaced, but many were. I know this because my sister & brother-in-law were two of those teachers. Were you looking in South Jersey? I know that there were openings there. There have been cut-backs here, too. The teachers are not unionized & pay is very much comparable to South Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte