Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 05:57 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,717,585 times

Advertisements

I third the option of the military for the husband. At least it will teach him some discipline and make him a man.

The mother has to make the best out of a bad situation.

First thing is grandma should not be an enabler for the daughter. Thats why many kids don't grow up and stay immature, because they know they'll always have a crutch to bail them out...

Old 09-12-2012, 06:54 PM

128 posts, read 222,228 times
Another job acquisition program that might be of assistance is Jacob's Ladder Job's program - Services | Jacob's Ladder Charlotte Job Center, Inc. It isn't a job training program, but a program that helps folks prepare for and find work.

Crisis Assistance Ministry was mentioned several times. They have a program that assists folks to be self sufficient that you might want to talk with them about.

I'm struck by the negativity in some folks' responses. As several people have already done, why not offer suggestions based on this family's strengths - the grandmother obviously cares a lot about her daughter and grandchildren and is a persoon of faith, the daughter has a held a job, desires to have another one, and has shown a lot of initiative in trying to find programs that can assist her and better her situation (ie she's gone through Goodwill programs.) Even though she has three young children and started young, why condemn her, how does that help? I'm sure she understands better than most of us the consequences. Transformation of lives doesn't happen through shaking your finger at someone but through relationships. It's hard enough to be struggling day-to-day, let's not burden this family any more by being unkind.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:59 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cltpeep View Post
I'm struck by the negativity in some folks' responses.
I'm sure she understands better than most of us the consequences.
No doubt she does. Now.

I suspect (hope) that the negativity is more about the lessons to be learned by OTHERS from this.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:04 PM

128 posts, read 222,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
No doubt she does. Now.

I suspect (hope) that the negativity is more about the lessons to be learned by OTHERS from this.
Yes, I'm sure many teen-agers are reading this board to get their sex ed advice. But appreciate YOUR positive spin on the messages

Old 09-12-2012, 07:24 PM

162 posts, read 228,509 times
Great Post!

Quote:
Another job acquisition program that might be of assistance is Jacob's Ladder Job's program - Services | Jacob's Ladder Charlotte Job Center, Inc. It isn't a job training program, but a program that helps folks prepare for and find work.

Crisis Assistance Ministry was mentioned several times. They have a program that assists folks to be self sufficient that you might want to talk with them about.

I'm struck by the negativity in some folks' responses. As several people have already done, why not offer suggestions based on this family's strengths - the grandmother obviously cares a lot about her daughter and grandchildren and is a persoon of faith, the daughter has a held a job, desires to have another one, and has shown a lot of initiative in trying to find programs that can assist her and better her situation (ie she's gone through Goodwill programs.) Even though she has three young children and started young, why condemn her, how does that help? I'm sure she understands better than most of us the consequences. Transformation of lives doesn't happen through shaking your finger at someone but through relationships. It's hard enough to be struggling day-to-day, let's not burden this family any more by being unkind.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:48 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Yes, I'm sure many teen-agers are reading this board to get their sex ed advice.
That would be nice...
but teens are less than half of the equation when it comes to these choices and actions.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:40 AM

38 posts, read 57,744 times
Why does the mom need childcare if she is not working? Most estimates show that it costs $26k per year for the second parent to work and pay childcare for one child. She probably needs to earn $30k just to break even. Maybe they should simplify their lives, she can stay home and be a good mama and start some online training for the future when all the kids are in school. Families can live on one income if they give up the gadgets, toys and restaurant meals. She can use coupons and find other ways to contribute to the household finances.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:39 AM

162 posts, read 228,509 times
She receives free childcare. This is a great opportunity to allow someone to get on their feet. Why not work if the childcare is free? I know soooo many people who receive resources like this young women, intead of finding a job they sit on their butt all day! See is really trying to do the right thing and become independent.

I do not have any children, almost no debt, no car note, etc and my partner and I could NOT live off 1 income! We could make it, for a little but money would be extremely tight. I couldnt imagine having 3 children to feed and provide clothes for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelbug71 View Post
Why does the mom need childcare if she is not working? Most estimates show that it costs $26k per year for the second parent to work and pay childcare for one child. She probably needs to earn $30k just to break even. Maybe they should simplify their lives, she can stay home and be a good mama and start some online training for the future when all the kids are in school. Families can live on one income if they give up the gadgets, toys and restaurant meals. She can use coupons and find other ways to contribute to the household finances.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:31 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,585 times
Quote:

When people come to the public with their hands out as this family has done by apparently exhausting every social welfare program out there, then there is going to be an amount of criticism and negativity associated with it by us who are forced to pay for it. Every single person who lives in this community that does work and/or own property funds the Meck DSS which had a $170M budget last year where $50M was used to take care of kids brought into this world by parents who are not meeting their responsibilities. I don't get this concept where this stuff is "free" and people are "entitled".

I think it's perfectly fine for the tax paying public and members who contribute to society to be critical because what has been described in this topic should not be accepted as normal, OK, acceptable or IMO deserves much pity because this was all about choices. I'm tired of hearing that we must feel sorry for every case such as this and IMO, every public dollar handed with out should come with a lecture on responsibility. If people don't want it, they don't have to take it.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:48 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,797,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
When people come to the public with their hands out as this family has done by apparently exhausting every social welfare program out there, then there is going to be an amount of criticism and negativity associated with it by us who are forced to pay for it. Every single person who lives in this community that does work and/or own property funds the Meck DSS which had a $170M budget last year where $50M was used to take care of kids brought into this world by parents who are not meeting their responsibilities. I don't get this concept where this stuff is "free" and people are "entitled".

I think it's perfectly fine for the tax paying public and members who contribute to society to be critical because what has been described in this topic should not be accepted as normal, OK, acceptable or IMO deserves much pity because this was all about choices. I'm tired of hearing that we must feel sorry for every case such as this and IMO, every public dollar handed with out should come with a lecture on responsibility. If people don't want it, they don't have to take it.
I can't give you any more Rep points since I have to spread it around, but wanted to respond with a big "Amen"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte