U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 08:12 PM

247 posts, read 324,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Strike View Post
Here's a webcam of the site, that updates every 30 minutes or so:

https://mds.multivista.com/index.cfm...1-32f9e0d49d93
That is awesome! Obviously not too much to see right now, but they really made pretty quick work of that Virginia Paper Co building!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 04:52 PM

11,717 posts, read 9,341,825 times
I drove past the construction site where the Knights stadium is being built... the skyline is going to look awesome in the background.

I was able to snap a photo while driving past and will post once I figure out where to upload it for viewing.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:30 PM
NDL

3,126 posts, read 3,610,899 times
I hate to be a kill joy, but I can't help but wonder thus:

The new stadium is "medium sized," by minor league ballpark standards.

I'd imagine that the move to Downtown CLT, is a move that seeks to point the Knights toward the major league. If and when that happens, where will the Stadium go? It's too small for a major league team, and they won't have room to expand.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:20 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,745,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post

I'd imagine that the move to Downtown CLT, is a move that seeks to point the Knights toward the major league. If and when that happens, where will the Stadium go? It's too small for a major league team, and they won't have room to expand.
Similar scenario with the Hornets original coliseum. I would've never guessed it would be imploded just 17 years after it opened. Strange things happen.

My thinking is that it will probably be 10 or more years before Charlotte succeeds in getting a major league baseball team. By then, they'll be ready to blow up another stadium....and move elsewhere.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:41 PM

5,869 posts, read 7,701,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post
Similar scenario with the Hornets original coliseum. I would've never guessed it would be imploded just 17 years after it opened. Strange things happen.

My thinking is that it will probably be 10 or more years before Charlotte succeeds in getting a major league baseball team. By then, they'll be ready to blow up another stadium....and move elsewhere.
Pretty much. MLB may be the end goal, but I don't think moving the Knights to uptown had anything to do with MLB, if anything it may have pushed the possibility of MLB further back. Even if the new stadium was "extra large" by minor league standards it would still be too small for MLB.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post

Its a minor league park and its built on a scale that should produce a nice crowd. I never said a word about the MLB, All Star game or World Baseball Championships.

A better question would be if its possible to hold the ACC baseball/softball championship, A10 or whatever league UNCC will be in....

Old 02-28-2013, 09:17 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,475,137 times
The Charlotte Knights minor-league baseball team plan to build a 125-room hotel near the stadium they are building downtown. The team is in talks with developers.
Knights plan to build hotel near new uptown stadium | CharlotteObserver.com

Old 02-28-2013, 12:36 PM

247 posts, read 324,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
The Charlotte Knights minor-league baseball team plan to build a 125-room hotel near the stadium they are building downtown. The team is in talks with developers.
Knights plan to build hotel near new uptown stadium | CharlotteObserver.com
They are going to pack in as much as possible on that roughly 8.5 acre site. Target Field in Minneapolis holds over 40k and was build on an 8 acre site - so that will give you a sense of scale.

We look at the construction from out building and quite frankly we have trouble visualizing the field, etc. Obviously that gets easier as construction progresses.

As an aside - if any one has kids who love construction and the accompanying vehicles like dozers, diggers etc - that intersection is the place to be! With the stadium, the park and the new residential tower going up next to the Catalyst there is A LOT of activity!

Old 02-28-2013, 01:35 PM

3,185 posts, read 5,758,064 times
The side of UP TOWN that the field is being built needs it. It will be the best news the nice folks living near Johnson C Smith and Beaties ford road have had in a long time. not to mention it will really be nice for the entire west side...Its going to be a real community event and socialization hub...Thank You Charlotte...

Old 02-28-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
The side of UP TOWN that the field is being built needs it. It will be the best news the nice folks living near Johnson C Smith and Beaties ford road have had in a long time. not to mention it will really be nice for the entire west side...Its going to be a real community event and socialization hub...Thank You Charlotte...
That part of Uptown was a parking lot and old buildings. This is going to be great for Uptown. It won't do much for the West Side though... not in the short term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or