Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 04:34 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
When it is all said, give it a year and the newness will wear off. Hows that Bobcats attendance going, even with super deep discount tickets last year...

The only positive I see is hopefully Fort Mill can zone/pull retail shopping in its old location. It would be good for the city/county since everyone for the most part shops on the NC side.
lol

Schadenfreude, it's what's for dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 04:56 PM

714 posts, read 2,305,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Even though I live in the "sticks" (union county) I have to agree w/this..

Its also a nice excuse to take my boy uptown, grab some dinner, and do a little walking around.....at the Ft Mill location you're limited in your options....
Exactly. I live in the "sticks" too and the problem with the current location is that it's decidedly boring. In the new location you can make an evening of it.

I've been to one Knight's game in the current location - to support a local charity. I was completely underwhelmed. You drive in, you attend a game, and you drive home. This way, you drive in, you attend a game, and you have somewhere interesting or decent to eat and people/things to see.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:59 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,126,398 times
Quote:
When it is all said, give it a year and the newness will wear off. Hows that Bobcats attendance going, even with super deep discount tickets last year....
In my opinion, Charlotte is still holding a sort of grudge over losing the Hornets and that is a shame. Besides, NBA attendance is down in most cities. I also feel the game and the players get a bad wrap as being a "hood" sport. One of the reasons the NBA chairman made the rule about players dress codes during TV interviews.

There's something entirely different about sitting in an open air stadium in the hot sun or under a starry sky, skyline in the background, and hearing the sounds of a bat hitting the ball. After all, it is Americas favorite past time.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:20 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
When it is all said, give it a year and the newness will wear off. Hows that Bobcats attendance going, even with super deep discount tickets last year...

The only positive I see is hopefully Fort Mill can zone/pull retail shopping in its old location. It would be good for the city/county since everyone for the most part shops on the NC side.
Not quite the same situation at all.

First of all, the NBA has fallen out of favor (too many high paid thugs and not many hero's to get behind anymore) and second of all George Shinn ruined the taste for basketball in this city.

But baseball IS America's past-time

Old 09-12-2012, 06:39 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,955,432 times
I kind of liked seeing Charlotte Knights on the SC side....Showed how much the Charlotte influence stretches down into SC part of the metro. Kinda gonna miss the sign. lol

Old 09-12-2012, 07:08 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,449,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post
Exactly. I live in the "sticks" too and the problem with the current location is that it's decidedly boring. In the new location you can make an evening of it.

I've been to one Knight's game in the current location - to support a local charity. I was completely underwhelmed. You drive in, you attend a game, and you drive home. This way, you drive in, you attend a game, and you have somewhere interesting or decent to eat and people/things to see.
I thought the goal was to have a dog and some crackerjacks at the ball park; not to go to Ruth Chris before the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesmountains
Not quite the same situation at all.
First of all, the NBA has fallen out of favor (too many high paid thugs and not many hero's to get behind anymore) and second of all George Shinn ruined the taste for basketball in this city.
But baseball IS America's past-time
It is a very simliar situation. Yes, the NBA has lost ratings. No doubt. But we aren't talking MLB here. This is a minor league team. Cost to attend a game will be changed when moved uptown. For those two reasons alone, I personally feel when the newness wears off you will see what I am talking about.

Oh and so this doesn't turn to the other thread of similar name... Durham and others with high attendance, 95% of them reside in cities with no professional sports i.e. nothing else entertainment wise competing for your dollar.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:09 PM

239 posts, read 376,540 times
Is that building in construction now, soon, or is it still a proposal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandguy811 View Post
There is already spin off of a ~20 story apartment building going in the parking lot that is on the south east side of Mint and MLK right next to Catalyst. With that building, the park, stadium, potential hotel in left field that is in the renderings and eventually Gateway Station; Third Ward is going to be pretty lively!

Old 09-12-2012, 10:49 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Groundbreaking is Friday for uptown Charlotte Knights stadium | CharlotteObserver.com

My "intent" with this thread is to express excitement that baseball is finally coming to uptown Charlotte.

I love the Knights, but having them play in Fort Mill has always been inconvenient and kept me from attending more games.

In addition, I think with the ball field uptown more people will take the time to walk over after work to catch a game and this will mean they will have better attendance numbers.
Yo.....the location (see crime reports) is not one you might want to walk to......maybe run....lol I hope people that live in charlotte and pay charlotte taxes will get first choice of tickets at a discount

Old 09-12-2012, 10:58 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Yo.....the location (see crime reports) is not one you might want to walk to......maybe run....lol I hope people that live in charlotte and pay charlotte taxes will get first choice of tickets at a discount
People said the same thing when Panther stadium was going up

Now folks walk from all over uptown to get there for a game.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:39 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
I have an issue with any "sport" that demands and requires government welfare, i.e. taxpayers forced to pay for it, in order for it to succeed. IMO, it's been so tainted to no longer matter except for the deluded. A metaphor for contemporary American society I suppose. When the Crockett's had baseball & wrestling in Charlotte they would have cringed at the very thought of it being made a social welfare program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte