Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 02:46 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_flembeck View Post
Your 99.9% is a bit ambitious.
Enlighten me, name all those NBA "thugs"...team-by-team. 99.9 % are squeaky clean, now as for the NHL, not so sure, the media pretty much dismisses any bad behavior from one group (again, wonder why that is?). Actually, the NHL allows their "thugs" to fight openly nearly every game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 06:08 AM

247 posts, read 378,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Driving and parking uptown isn't bad. IMO going to the TWC Arena for concerts is infinitely easier than going to Verizon.

The one thing that kinda stinks about the Knights being uptown is that it'd be easy for people to go right from work. However generally minor league baseball is marketed as a family thing so going right from work kinda defeats that purpose.
For me, it kinda works. Games after work with co-workers and clients, games on the weekends for taking the kids.

It is the same thing we do now because drving home from Uptown and then back to Ft. Mill is a hike.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:11 AM

247 posts, read 378,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I agree, the Uptown location is not going to cater to much to those working Uptown but might for those in 4th Ward or Condos.

Far as earlier it was mention hotels will be built and that is not going to happen because of a minor league baseball team.
The away team might be only ones seeking hotel and there already plenty.

There is no extra growth around the Winston Salem Dash or Greensboro Grasshoppers new stadiums.

The benefit of Uptown will be it central location.
I can only speak for my office, but being Uptown, we are very excited for the stadium. It will be great to go out for a drink and a bite to eat and then to a game.

People who have never had tickets to the Knights are talking about season tickets and can't wait for info to be announced about tickets for single games.

Last edited by Reggie4417; 09-19-2012 at 06:11 AM.. Reason: I can't spell this morning.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:40 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Enlighten me, name all those NBA "thugs"...team-by-team. 99.9 % are squeaky clean, now as for the NHL, not so sure, the media pretty much dismisses any bad behavior from one group (again, wonder why that is?). Actually, the NHL allows their "thugs" to fight openly nearly every game.
There are what, like 450 players in the NBA? 0.1% would be 4.5 guys.

So:
Ron Artest or whatever he's calling himself these days
Delonte West
Gilbert Arenas
Chris Andersen
Matt Barnes

I agree with your overall point though.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:28 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
There are what, like 450 players in the NBA? 0.1% would be 4.5 guys.

So:
Ron Artest or whatever he's calling himself these days
Delonte West
Gilbert Arenas
Chris Andersen
Matt Barnes

I agree with your overall point though.
Adds
Steven Jackson
Javaris Crittenton (would still be playing if not for him being a too much of a thug)
DeShawn Stevenson
Jason Kidd (recent retiree)
Zach Randolph
Jamaal Tinsley
OJ Mayo
AI (recent retiree)
Rajon Rondo

Note I didn't include...
Larry Sanders - the Enforcer
Kevin "I stomp on your head" Love
Andrew "Ultimate Warrior" Bynum
Kobe "Rape... err... I slept with that girl... boo hoo" Bryant
Zaza Pachulia - does this guy ever finish a game without an altercation?
Charlie Villanueva - threaten to kill Ryan Hollins, Garnett/Him Round # (not sure what number they are at)
Garnett - see above; Elbows for damage, on purpose.
James Harden - throwing up gang signs during games

Yes, they exist. Is it 100/99.9.... no it isn't. Note I didn't include all the DUI/DWI/Marijuana arrests. Just off/on the court thug type tendencies. Without the drug piece, it is probably 90/10.

Remember the Ron Artest/Stephen Jackson fan brawl was the worst event in all of sports history. Yes, an NBA event.

In fairness, all of the major sports have their fair share.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:13 PM

Actually my math was off. 0.1% of 450 is 0.45

Old 09-19-2012, 11:19 PM

239 posts, read 376,861 times
OMG this thread is getting soooooooooooooo boring. can yall PLEASE stay on topic. As I've said before, some of us really come on this site to learn MORE about Charlotte. All the "who is and Is NOT a thug" bullcrap is just soooo SILLY. So please STOP IT. Some of yall just love FOOLISHNESS.

Yall know how to turn a good thread into some silly MESS. stay on topic PLEASE

Old 09-20-2012, 12:15 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartwell35 View Post
OMG this thread is getting soooooooooooooo boring. can yall PLEASE stay on topic. As I've said before, some of us really come on this site to learn MORE about Charlotte. All the "who is and Is NOT a thug" bullcrap is just soooo SILLY. So please STOP IT. Some of yall just love FOOLISHNESS.

Yall know how to turn a good thread into some silly MESS. stay on topic PLEASE
I could be off a bit on the actual count, but I think that the Knights had 73 or so home games this year. If the team only averaged 8,500 or so fans per game in their new uptown location, that's comparable to the same amount of fans that the Panthers and Bobcats attract in a regular season. Also (because minor league baseball is cheaper, plays on more days, and plays in better weather) more folks will most likely hang around uptown and spend those dollars.

I'll go even one step further. I'm willing to bet that the year-round attraction of sporting events uptown will be a catalyst for more year-round uptown retail. IMO, this is MUCH bigger than most folks think it is. One of the biggest issues with uptown retail has been our city's inability to promise decent year-round foot traffic for retailers to stay in business. The NFL and the NBA is good, but they are not good enough. Football is too infrequent while Basketball is less than half the year. Baseball will fill in the April-September foot traffic gap with mutiple games. This could also help boost the Summertime numbers for the uptown Museums such as Discovery Place and the NASCAR Hall. It will certainly boost the LYNX ridership during the Summer months. IMO, 2014 can't come soon enough.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:33 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times
The new park and baseball stadium in uptown/downtown is going to transform urban activity that entire area. I have never been a fan of placing football stadiums in downtown.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-20-2012 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: orphan- the post you replied to was deleted

Old 09-20-2012, 05:30 AM

After thinking about it, I wonder if the stadium may entice some more family-oriented restaurants uptown (admittedly I don't know every restaurant that's there but it does seem to cater more to the higher-end). People seem to complain about a lack of those (that aren't crazy expensive) already, so although the park may not be the sole reason for more of them popping up, it could be a catalyst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte