U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 10:26 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,568,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post
Start with a plant. Move on to a fish. Work up to a cat. A dog is just one step shy of a baby.
Bah, just start with a baby and if you can handle that, then get a dog. That's what some people that post here believe!

But seriously, I used petfinder.com and now we have the sweetest Wheaton mix that is perfect for our family. We found her through the Charlotte SPCA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 03:00 PM

487 posts, read 656,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amp View Post
So sad

We recently had to say goodbye to our beloved dog and not that I want to get one anytime soon, but what would you suggest as the best method for picking out a dog in the future. It was a random act when we got him and I think we got lucky that he was a great pet...but we did no research and he was a mutt. Is the Humaine Society the way to go?
For an AKC registered dog the best thing to do is to go to a local dog show and check out the breeds, talk to breeders about the temperament and type of home they need. After that you can make the decision to buy a puppy from a responsible breeder or rescue.

There are breed specific rescues or the local humane societies. Mutts are a crapshoot unlike what the designer breeders/scammers say - there is no *hybrid vigor* if you buy a Poodle/GSD/Dalmation/yorkie cross you are getting the DNA of all of them which includes all the various genetic and health issues in them.

Responsible breeders test for all recommended health and genetic tests on their dogs, have a good contract with the buyer that includes that they will take the dog back for ANY reason. They also will give a detailed health guarantee. These puppies are not cheap - in my case my litter cost about $6,000 to make and I lost my rear. But I have 4 fabulous puppies that are healthy, well adjusted and good representatives of the breed.

If the thought of spending $800+ for a pet is something you do not want to do then go to the Humane Society or a breed specific rescue.

As always anyone interested in going to a dog show - we have one in Concord coming up. And I am also more than happy to assist anyone in finding a responsible breeder. I have Australian Shepherds but know lots of people in other breeds.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
man I want a dog but I'm afraid to be 'responsible' for something living.
Buy a stuffed dog and volunteer at the Humane Society. They need more volunteers to care for the dogs.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InSouthPark View Post
Since when is 100 miles away considered "local"? Sad, yes. Local, no.
When the Humane Society of Charlotte is assisting and caring for them it impacts Charlotte. My donations certainly are funding this. Hopefully yours too.

Puppy Mills are everywhere sadly. DO NOT BUY FROM THE INTERNET. People spend more time picking out a car then they do their pets.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:38 PM
amp

519 posts, read 1,337,631 times
Thanks for the suggestions on where to go. We will probably lean towards a rescue in the future when we are ready. But if we decide we would like to research specific breeds, I may take you up Slakkie on asking for contacts and suggestions.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:44 PM

28 posts, read 26,007 times
After reading this thread, I went to pet and talk sweet to my two terrier mutts. Both rescue dogs, they are both happy, healthy and well behaved dogs. I love them both, but Im pretty sure they love me more, which i have found is the case more often in rescue dogs than in specific breed purchased dogs.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlane22 View Post
After reading this thread, I went to pet and talk sweet to my two terrier mutts. Both rescue dogs, they are both happy, healthy and well behaved dogs. I love them both, but Im pretty sure they love me more, which i have found is the case more often in rescue dogs than in specific breed purchased dogs.

Dogs love you no matter what - some breeds more than others. My rescue dog loves me, my purebred Aussies love me (have an Aussie and you will never again go to the bathroom on your own)

There is a place for both rescue and buying from a breeder. In my case I like to show - you have to have purebreds for that. I chose Australian Shepherds because they are very good all around dogs. We compete in many venues. I also support Aussie rescue and other rescues. A well socialized purebred dog is a wonderful thing - you pretty much know the temperament and other qualities. Rescues can be hit or miss - but again no crime in that.

I think it unfair to say rescues or mutts are better...or worse. Just depends on what you want.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:51 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,892,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slakkie View Post
Every few months someone comes on here asking about buying a dog and everytime I give my speech about making sure to see the parents and the health and genetic testing and usually I get slammed by some because I tell them buying off the internet without safeguards usually means you are buying from a puppy mill.

Guess what? Here is another one:

Volunteers rescue 250 animals from S.C. puppy mill | CharlotteObserver.com

Please please PLEASE people - do not buy a dog off a cute picture on the internet. These people are SCAMMERS they will tell you what you want to hear. Do your homework. DEMAND the health and genetic testing for the breed (easily verified on OFFA.org website) Get photos of the sire and dam. Find out why they are breeding and what their reason for breeding is.

If the only value the sire and dam have for breeding are working testicles and uterus realize you are feeding the beast. That cute puppy you own comes from a line of disease and abuse to the parents. I am not anti breeding at all but I believe at minimum all health testing should be done.

As usual I will be donating to the Humane Society of Charlotte to assist in dealing with this mess. And ironically my AKC Champion, obedience titled, health and genetically cleared female is in heat and will not be bred despite a reservation list of 30-40 people because I do not have a need to add to my pack and do not breed for profit. So angry for these dogs.
So why is your dog not spayed? That is something that the Humane Society strongly advocates.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:52 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,892,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slakkie View Post
Dogs love you no matter what - some breeds more than others. My rescue dog loves me, my purebred Aussies love me (have an Aussie and you will never again go to the bathroom on your own)

There is a place for both rescue and buying from a breeder. In my case I like to show - you have to have purebreds for that. I chose Australian Shepherds because they are very good all around dogs. We compete in many venues. I also support Aussie rescue and other rescues. A well socialized purebred dog is a wonderful thing - you pretty much know the temperament and other qualities. Rescues can be hit or miss - but again no crime in that.

I think it unfair to say rescues or mutts are better...or worse. Just depends on what you want.
Good point...either way can work out very well.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
So why is your dog not spayed? That is something that the Humane Society strongly advocates.
You cannot spay a dog until they are 7 and continue to show AKC, we are showing (once they are seven they can compete in Veterans classes and be S/N). PLUS, I also want to keep my options open should I choose to breed her again. She enjoys showing and I enjoy watching her i the ring - most people do not realize a dog has to love to show in order to do well.

Besides I do not let her get into situations that would let her get pregnant. It is pretty easy to deal with - the problem is that most people don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte