Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 03:41 PM

488 posts, read 798,535 times

Advertisements

Every few months someone comes on here asking about buying a dog and everytime I give my speech about making sure to see the parents and the health and genetic testing and usually I get slammed by some because I tell them buying off the internet without safeguards usually means you are buying from a puppy mill.

Guess what? Here is another one:

Volunteers rescue 250 animals from S.C. puppy mill | CharlotteObserver.com

Please please PLEASE people - do not buy a dog off a cute picture on the internet. These people are SCAMMERS they will tell you what you want to hear. Do your homework. DEMAND the health and genetic testing for the breed (easily verified on OFFA.org website) Get photos of the sire and dam. Find out why they are breeding and what their reason for breeding is.

If the only value the sire and dam have for breeding are working testicles and uterus realize you are feeding the beast. That cute puppy you own comes from a line of disease and abuse to the parents. I am not anti breeding at all but I believe at minimum all health testing should be done.

As usual I will be donating to the Humane Society of Charlotte to assist in dealing with this mess. And ironically my AKC Champion, obedience titled, health and genetically cleared female is in heat and will not be bred despite a reservation list of 30-40 people because I do not have a need to add to my pack and do not breed for profit. So angry for these dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 04:46 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,500,510 times
man I want a dog but I'm afraid to be 'responsible' for something living.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:48 PM

714 posts, read 2,305,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
man I want a dog but I'm afraid to be 'responsible' for something living.
Start with a plant. Move on to a fish. Work up to a cat. A dog is just one step shy of a baby.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:58 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,500,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post
Start with a plant. Move on to a fish. Work up to a cat. A dog is just one step shy of a baby.
lol, I have 1 plant! I water it the 1st of every month, and that's with a calendar reminder I don't like cats much.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:02 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Cats are good for people like me who want some affection but want as little responsibility as possible to get it. You put some food and water out and clean their poop a few times a week and they are happy as pigs in spit.

Puppy mills do suck and so do the people who run them. I'm one of those who feels that crimes against animals are almost worse than against people. At least people have a chance to fight back (most of them anyway).

Old 09-12-2012, 06:39 PM

162 posts, read 228,527 times
I never had a pet prior to my dog. I love him so much, but he is so much work. We make it work but I would not get another dog anytime soon!

This is sad, 250 animals, thats extreme!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
lol, I have 1 plant! I water it the 1st of every month, and that's with a calendar reminder I don't like cats much.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:10 PM
amp

519 posts, read 1,515,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slakkie View Post
Every few months someone comes on here asking about buying a dog and everytime I give my speech about making sure to see the parents and the health and genetic testing and usually I get slammed by some because I tell them buying off the internet without safeguards usually means you are buying from a puppy mill.

Guess what? Here is another one:

Volunteers rescue 250 animals from S.C. puppy mill | CharlotteObserver.com

Please please PLEASE people - do not buy a dog off a cute picture on the internet. These people are SCAMMERS they will tell you what you want to hear. Do your homework. DEMAND the health and genetic testing for the breed (easily verified on OFFA.org website) Get photos of the sire and dam. Find out why they are breeding and what their reason for breeding is.

If the only value the sire and dam have for breeding are working testicles and uterus realize you are feeding the beast. That cute puppy you own comes from a line of disease and abuse to the parents. I am not anti breeding at all but I believe at minimum all health testing should be done.

As usual I will be donating to the Humane Society of Charlotte to assist in dealing with this mess. And ironically my AKC Champion, obedience titled, health and genetically cleared female is in heat and will not be bred despite a reservation list of 30-40 people because I do not have a need to add to my pack and do not breed for profit. So angry for these dogs.
So sad

We recently had to say goodbye to our beloved dog and not that I want to get one anytime soon, but what would you suggest as the best method for picking out a dog in the future. It was a random act when we got him and I think we got lucky that he was a great pet...but we did no research and he was a mutt. Is the Humaine Society the way to go?

Old 09-12-2012, 11:33 PM

958 posts, read 1,723,785 times
Over 200 dogs from suspected puppy mill transported to Columbia - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina |

Old 09-13-2012, 02:08 AM

38 posts, read 57,747 times
Default best dogs ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp View Post
So sad

We recently had to say goodbye to our beloved dog and not that I want to get one anytime soon, but what would you suggest as the best method for picking out a dog in the future. It was a random act when we got him and I think we got lucky that he was a great pet...but we did no research and he was a mutt. Is the Humaine Society the way to go?
I have had 3 dogs that I adopted from rescue and they were the most amazing, loving, cuddly animals ever- one was a shepherd mix in 1989, then a coon hound in 97, and my teddy bear rottweiler 2 years ago. All lived long healthy lives-expect a commitment up to 15 years even for big dogs. We had none of the health or behavior issues common in mill puppies and the added benefit of no puppy stage. All were between 6 months to a year when adopted.
I would never support the intentional breeding of dogs when so many are being killed every day.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:47 AM

777 posts, read 2,567,022 times
Since when is 100 miles away considered "local"? Sad, yes. Local, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte