Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If CLT Decided To Regulate Sugar Sweetened Soda's, Your Response Would Be:
Yes: Regulating drink sizes signifies that we are no longer living in a free society. 29 52.73%
No: the health of the individual affects the rest of us, and the Govt. should encourage healthy choices. 11 20.00%
Who cares? Even if it reached Charlotte, it's only soda. 15 27.27%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 11:23 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
so you want to take something that is natural, (altough refined sugar is screwed up too) and replace it with something man made that may have long term health side affects. How bout just not eating like a pig. Oh that's right that involves self control
My goodness, if you saw me in person you would take back most of this post. I stand 6'5" 215 lbs and it's all muscle son.

Anyways, I agree that US consumers should have more self-control. However, we've also seen that folks will consume any and everything that is available to them (whether it is good for them or not). Now that the government is getting into the business of health insurance, I suspect there will be many new health-based laws in the near future.

I tend to agree with the need for more self-control. Many of my co-workers look at me and ask "how do you do it"? I simply reply "because I want to do it moreso than I want junk food". Many are offended by my quick response but hey, the truth hurts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 11:26 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,583,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
My goodness, if you saw me in person you would take back most of this post. I stand 6'5" 215 lbs and it's all muscle son.

Anyways, I agree that US consumers should have more self-control. However, we've also seen that folks will consume any and everything that is available to them (whether it is good for them or not). Now that the government is getting into the business of health insurance, I suspect there will be many new health-based laws in the near future.

I tend to agree with the need for more self-control. Many of my co-workers look at me and ask "how do you do it"? I simply reply "because I want to do it moreso than I want junk food". Many are offended by my quick response but hey, the truth hurts.
Urban I didn't direct the self control part towards you. I mean the general public that is obese. I agree splenda tastes good I just don't want to eat alot of it either.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:29 AM

277 posts, read 660,867 times
Option #1 - free refills

Option #2 - Free soda with the purchase of a 32oz cup of ice

Old 09-13-2012, 11:35 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Why not just outlaw the use of sugarcane in US foods and drinks? Wouldn't that be easier and more effective? I honestly can't tell much difference between a cake made with sugar vs. one that was made with splenda. I have a few diabetics in my family and those homemade splenda cakes are delicious. As for pop, just choose the diet version and add some cherry flavoring to it. Those new coke machines make this easy and fun.
Splenda in anything but a drink tastes awful, IMHO.

I don't need the government to take care of me. If I want sugar and enormous drinks, it's my choice.

BTW-most processed sugar comes from sugar beets, not sugar cane. I read that somewhere.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:47 AM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
I don't like govt. telling you how much soda you can drink. I learned to drink diet soda years ago, as I prefer the fizz and caffeine from soda but not the sugar. And not all diet drinks have that bad diet taste. I like Diet Mtn Dew, Diet Dr. Pepper, and Coke Zero. Also Diet Coke Splenda version tastes better than the Nutrasweet. So just take personal responsibilty for your own actions without being mandated by the govt. I drink diet soda with my Big Mac combo and still maintain a 30-32" waist. So determine what works best for you without the control of govco.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:54 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
I think the restaurants in the counties around Charlotte would love it. Less trade for Charlotte and more trade for us.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:00 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
If the govt. really wanted to do something they can outlaw chemicals in food, you know years ago organic food was just called food.

I enjoy a soda (usually diet)from time to time and think the whole thing is a pointless waste of time.

I can go and get a 2000 calorie lunch and only wash it down with 16oz, what next banned from having more than a 600 calorie lunch.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:07 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,500,510 times
"What If Charlotte Bans Drinks Greater Than 16 Ounces? "

that doesn't include my tasty Guinness, does it? cause then we got issues.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:14 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
This ban on soda NYC only effects restaurants and food carts. This ban does not effect convenience stores and grocery.
I dont think I ever seen a restaurant other than fast food.

Im with poster above if I eat fast food I order the small and use free refill before I head out the door. I never order large size because it means more fries and that a waste since they are typically cold once your half through.

Far as calorie and making restaurants have calorie chart is such a waste as it going to have no effect on what a consumer consciously consumes.

However McD's $1 dollar 32oz Sweet Tea is the deal. They had a booth at Charlotte Pride Festival everyone had one unless they was drinking beer or the free Slurpee shots.

I rather legislation put a price point on sodas at restaurants they have skyrocketed lately. It cost $2.00 or more.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:20 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
"What If Charlotte Bans Drinks Greater Than 16 Ounces? "

that doesn't include my tasty Guinness, does it? cause then we got issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte