Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 06:50 PM

5 posts, read 8,277 times

Advertisements

My husband and I and our 2 daughters, ages 2.5 and 4.5 are thinking of relocating to the Lake Norman area from Cincinnati, OH. We are looking for a change since we have to move from our current house into a different school district, so we figured whu not try something new?! We have friends who live in Huntersville and really love it.

The main draw for us is the proximity to the lake, of course, as well as a milder climate and distance to both mountains and beaches. As I've been reasearching it seems that the main negative of the area is the rapid growth leading to school overcrowding and traffic issues. Can someone please address this? With 2 girls just about to enter school a great school system is a must.
I have also read that there may be a negtive attitude towards northerners moving into the area from those who are from the area. Is this really an issue? It seems to pertain to NYers the most, and being from Cincinnati we're not too far up north.

Our housing budget would be $250-$300,000, and we would like to live a newer house that has a fair amount of updates (kitchen, bathroom, finished basement) and a pool community if possible. Our main focus is a great community to raise our girls that is safe and has lots of family activities (parks, concerts, etc).

I am a chiropractor and would most likely be opening my own business shortly after moving-what is the general attitude of the area in regards to health, staying fit, eating healthy? Are there any natural foods stores or restaurants or farmers markets?

Given our preferences, what area should we focus on? Any advise is so greatly appreciated, thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 07:52 PM

186 posts, read 436,292 times
Huntersville, Cornelius, and Davidson would all reasonably fit what you're looking for. I've bucketed your questions with direct responses
1. Housing - your budget will allow you plenty of options, but you won't get everything you want. You may have to trade off upgrades for a neighborhood/school, or lot size for newer construction. Birkdale, Wynfield, MacAulay, Oakhurst, and Monteith Park are all possibles feeding to good schools. Not very much inventory in the good school districts though.
2. Schools - Torrence Creek ES is VERY overcrowded, but CMS is opening Stumptown ES sometime in the next couple years, but other parts of Cornelius feed Washam, Cornelius, and Davidson ES and those schools don't face that, Davidson is the best, but houses in Davidson are more pricey.
3. Traffic - mostly this refers to I-77 traffic, its bad, make no mistake. Many roads are two lane, and it can be slow going sometimes on surface streets particularly during rush hours.
4. Attitudes towards Northerners - this for long time NC residents is mainly about people complaining CLT isnt like NY, NJ or expressing anger about the employment situation when arriving without a job. MANY people who live here, arent from here.
5. growth - yes, lots of people have moved here, the thing I've mostly been alarmed by lately is the explosion of apartments being constructed lately - see traffic
6. Healthy lifestyle - yes, people who live around here are pretty outdoorsy. We have lots of parks and lots of outdoor activities. Davidson has made greenways, walkability and bikability a town priority. Cornelius just opened a new park, lots of people play organized sports, tennis, disc golf, running etc. There is an EarthFare organic market in Huntersville, Healthy Home Economist in Davidson, and Davidson also has a farmers market.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:21 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,461,335 times
Personally, since schools are a priority, I'd look at Mooresville/Iredell versus Huntersville which is Meck county. I posted this link on another thread the other day but you need to review it as well given the kids and your school decision. Will help you better understand with facts and figures versus opinions.

Basements aren't that common in the area...we looked at around 60 houses or so two years ago and I think saw maybe 2 with basements. To get a basement AND all the other amenities in a new house in your price range might be a stretch.

As far as being a transplant to the area, there are so many here that if you are from NC (like me) you'll get asked where you are from because of the accent. haha As long as you're friendly and understand things are different here than from wherever you moved most people are very accepting.

Plenty of heath conscious people in the area, far more than where I'm originally from so that was a nice change. Farmers markets, parks being built, seeing people exercise, etc. is very common in the area.

Good luck with your choice.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:39 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Basements are not common in places where the ground doesn't freeze.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:16 AM

2 posts, read 3,906 times
As far as health conscience I think you will find it perfect for that. The area is full of very health conscious people with all the runs, biking, hiking, health food stores etc in the area. The booklet will give you a feel for all the towns around the lake as well.
I am from Michigan myself and moved here about 7 years ago and love it. You will love the weather, the people, the area and it's proximity to so many things. email me and I will get you the link to that right away.
Kathy Byrnes

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-17-2012 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: TOS Violation

Old 09-17-2012, 04:02 PM

26 posts, read 38,696 times
Beware those who offer to send you links but not through this site - methinks they are a real estate agent (and against the rules to troll for business here!), otherwise they'd put the link in this thread.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:12 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,427,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdo View Post
Beware those who offer to send you links but not through this site - methinks they are a real estate agent (and against the rules to troll for business here!), otherwise they'd put the link in this thread.
Not sure the information is very accurate either-"the area is full of very health conscious people"????
Mmm-not so sure on that one

Old 09-17-2012, 06:37 PM

26 posts, read 38,696 times
I have to agree with Whatsthenews doubts about "healthy." Maybe if you haven't lived anywhere else, but compared to places like Colorado, California, Oregon, Utah, Washington (state) (I've lived in three), NC is far from what I'd call a "health conscious" part of the country. We live next to the lake and healthy dining options are scarce, gyms are few and far between by the lake, and don't forget you're in tobacco country, so....I could go on but you get the point.

This is why you don't want to listen to the real estate agents who slither around here...get the real scoop from people who don't have a commission in mind...they'll just tell you whatever they think will get you here.

I don't have any knowledge on schools. Housing - forget being on or very close to the lake for less than $600K, but plenty of nice communities around it. Much more developed on the east side.
3. Traffic - 77 is bad. Drive it at rush hour a few times before deciding to buy on the east side of the lake.
4. Attitudes towards Northerners - no issue. many people here from NE and Midwest.

Last edited by Billdo; 09-17-2012 at 06:58 PM..

Old 09-17-2012, 07:57 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,461,335 times
Quote:
I have to agree with Whatsthenews doubts about "healthy." Maybe if you haven't lived anywhere else, but compared to places like Colorado, California, Oregon, Utah, Washington (state) (I've lived in three), NC is far from what I'd call a "health conscious" part of the country. We live next to the lake and healthy dining options are scarce, gyms are few and far between by the lake, and don't forget you're in tobacco country, so....I could go on but you get the point.
I disagree. If you've lived in other areas of NC you'd definitely say that the Lake area is more health conscious than many other parts, including larger cities such as Winston Salem and Greensboro, at least IMO. Maybe that's because of the higher number of transplants?

Tobacco country? Maybe 20 years ago it was. There's RJR in Winston and a scattering of tobacco fields here and there (very, very rare to see nowadays) with most of those having been replaced by vineyards in the last 10 years it seems like, or other crops such as soy. Restaurants, bars and most public places in NC don't allow smoking anyways so while I hate smelling it, it's a very rare occasion that I actually come into contact with it so not sure the point of saying NC is tobacco country?

Old 09-18-2012, 05:39 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
Western NC isn't tobacco country and almost every restaurant has healthy options. In regards to gyms are you kidding? There are at least a 1/2 dozen of in N. Meck including the municipal owned Huntersville Aquatics Center which has an olympic sized pool with diving and a full scale gym. I'd say that your statements are not that representative of this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte