Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 01:08 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times

Advertisements

Narrowing what do you think of Immortal Technique?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 01:09 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I agree with many of the comments here and wish I could offer an easy answer myself. I can just state that I feel very strongly that censorship is NOT the answer - short or long term. Limiting what kids listen to (or watch) is up to the parents... not "regulations". Beyond that, education is key... How do young people learn that their mind is the best weapon they could ever have or use...
This.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingLItoNC View Post
I'm always in shock when an AA feels that rap music is not an factor in a teen's development. If rap music and videos portray the thug lifestyle, then why are we surprised when teens try to copy what they see. It's all about half naked women, cars and guns. These thugs who are robbing and killing are NOT listening to Will Smith!
True. But children should be educated and monitored so they understand that thug is bad, period. As adults, people need to take responsibility for their actions. I hear and see dark things every day, in all types of media. I've never committed a crime against another person, because I know that's not only wrong by the law, but wrong as a human being. Some people don't get that.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:03 PM

39 posts, read 65,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingLItoNC View Post
I'm always in shock when an AA feels that rap music is not an factor in a teen's development. If rap music and videos portray the thug lifestyle, then why are we surprised when teens try to copy what they see. It's all about half naked women, cars and guns. These thugs who are robbing and killing are NOT listening to Will Smith!

I am an AA in my mid 30's and don't agree. No, it's not music that makes anyone behave the way that they do. It's the morals to which one has been raised. I listened to a wide range of music in my teens abd it did not make me go out and commit crimes and hurt others. I was raised to have empathy for others and live by a certain standard. As an adult I raise my children with same same amount of intergrity if not more. It starts at home.......your children will be the model that you have taught them or not taugh them

As a side note......I have been in situations which called for me to make a bad decision or make the right decision (which I'm sure we all have at some point in life, regardless of race). Because of the values that I was raised to have I made the right decisions and did not follow my peers. It starts at home and is the parents responsibility.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:26 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
Vanill, you should know as well as I do that rap/hip hop has evolved into something completely different that it was 15 years ago. You did have your 2 Live Crew and NWA, which we quite shocking at the time, but they weren't nearly as played as more recent rappers who have far more outrageous lyrics on the same CD as that BS pop hit single. When you have a particular message being played repeatedly day in and day out, you have the potential for people to want to emulate what they hear and perceive as acceptable and baller.

And to think that white people need to stay out of where they are not welcome is irresponsible and possibly part of the problem. This mess spills over into everyone's neighborhoods. Think of where any stray bullets might have gone Sunday had there been return fire, or just a higher volume of fire. You'll stay out of it until you find yourself firmly planted in it as a victim. I have seen a lot of programs that are supposed to be helpful but are failures at the drawing board. Midnight basketball is a great one. Care to explain why you want to give teens another excuse to be out all hours of the night? Do I have a better proposal? No, I don't. If I did, I would be more than willing to help get it off the ground. Big Brother Big Sisters is a good start, but it doesn't reach enough people who can be steered away from the thug lifestyle. Unfortunately, I just don't think anyone will be able to come up with a feel-good program that will make the trouble-makers willingly change their view on their lifestyle. But, something has to give. A good old-fashioned ass-whoopin might be a good place to start.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:33 PM

39 posts, read 65,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Vanill, you should know as well as I do that rap/hip hop has evolved into something completely different that it was 15 years ago. You did have your 2 Live Crew and NWA, which we quite shocking at the time, but they weren't nearly as played as more recent rappers who have far more outrageous lyrics on the same CD as that BS pop hit single. When you have a particular message being played repeatedly day in and day out, you have the potential for people to want to emulate what they hear and perceive as acceptable and baller.

And to think that white people need to stay out of where they are not welcome is irresponsible and possibly part of the problem. This mess spills over into everyone's neighborhoods. Think of where any stray bullets might have gone Sunday had there been return fire, or just a higher volume of fire. You'll stay out of it until you find yourself firmly planted in it as a victim. I have seen a lot of programs that are supposed to be helpful but are failures at the drawing board. Midnight basketball is a great one. Care to explain why you want to give teens another excuse to be out all hours of the night? Do I have a better proposal? No, I don't. If I did, I would be more than willing to help get it off the ground. Big Brother Big Sisters is a good start, but it doesn't reach enough people who can be steered away from the thug lifestyle. Unfortunately, I just don't think anyone will be able to come up with a feel-good program that will make the trouble-makers willingly change their view on their lifestyle. But, something has to give. A good old-fashioned ass-whoopin might be a good place to start.
Agree!

Old 09-19-2012, 06:05 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
If you were to normalize those numbers to something like a 75 sq mile area for each city, then I think you will find a different result. I started to do this, but then, I don't care to get into an argument over the method. My point is that comparisons of municipal city limits, because cities annex differently, are pretty pointless. I'd go with urbanized area and failing that, at least the county borders because they don't change.
Fair enough, that is why I was initially looking for county numbers. Nonetheless, earlier you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Homicides by city in NC in 2011.
  • Charlotte = 55
  • Greensboro = 41
  • Durham = 27
  • Raleigh = 17
While I realized this isn't county murders, I'm willing to bet that almost all of these occurred inside the city in question.
And when you said "inside the city" I believe you are referring to the "urbanized area."

However this incident occurred in an unincorporated area of Meck County. And the murder that occurred during the DNC is on the border of the city limits and I believe was annexed within the past 10 years.

As I said in that thread, the biggest concern here IMO is that both of these murders occurred in what many probably consider a "safe" area (and no, "safe" does not necessarily equal white).

Old 09-20-2012, 04:58 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,550,320 times
We know a lot of what to do. Teach young people that all the crap in those videos should not be their focus in life. No more baby daddy. Fathers need to be there for their children and be good role models. Teach the kids to not be the cliches and stereotypes. That's a good start.[/quote]

It's a great example to see human progression today. Fantastic contributors to
society. Just think of how many children look up to this culture/fad and articulate use of
english language. Did I hear multiple adjective use "N', "GD", "MF" in this video?
Who taught this men English? What skool did they attend?

Old 09-22-2012, 11:45 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
[quote=spankys bbq;26163838]

I have seen a lot of programs that are supposed to be helpful but are failures at the drawing board. Midnight basketball is a great one. Care to explain why you want to give teens another excuse to be out all hours of the night? quote]

Because staying home doing homework or studying would suck.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:31 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
The funny thing about rap music is the majority of the suits in charge of what's popular are old white men. NC is home to J.Cole, Little Brother, 9Th wonder... these artists aren't promoting violence at all but its hard for them to get airplay because the major labels refuse to promote rapthat isn't promoting sex drugs and violence.

An exec at BET said they wouldn't play a Little Brother video because it was "too intelligent" for their target audience. I'm not making excuses for these kids decisions but you have to understand how this music industry is set up. I have a friend in the industry and his mentor told us the industry wants songs that target kids at the age of 12 to 14... this way you have them on the hook for 5 to 6 years before their ears mature and they realize the music sucks. Kate Perry couldn't get an album out when she was singing about Jesus with a clean image. She sold out and kissed a girl and the rest is history...

its up to the parent(s)

Old 09-23-2012, 08:18 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
Isn't it ironic when violence is justified by these thugs because they perceive "disrespect"? These thugs demonstrate more disrespect for mankind in a single afternoon than most people in a lifetime. Whether showing their underwear to a mall full of kids, or playing their music at "block party" decibel levels, or walking at a snails pace and clogging entire sidewalks/walkways, to speaking and cursing loudly in public around children... And this is all before the EXTREME disrespect of violence, robbery, and homicide that they seem to revel in.

Pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte