Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 11:07 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,398,734 times

Advertisements

Have anyone given the new soulfoul place a try. The menu looks great. If so, what are your thoughts. I can't wait to attend.

Celebs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 11:18 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn_QueenBee View Post
Have anyone given the new soulfoul place a try. The menu looks great. If so, what are your thoughts. I can't wait to attend.

Celebs
So glad you posted this!

Looks like a great location. The menu has my stomach growling (I haven't had lunch). Many different types of fried chicken plus trout and chicken fried steak!!

Cabbage, cole slaw, black-eyed peas, potatoes, collards, grits! My favorite sides! Oh - and mac/cheese, too.

Next time I dine out, it will be here. I just don't dine out that often while in town. So it may be a few weeks but this reminds me of food I can find in Charleston. Otherwise, I fix it at home. HOWEVER, having said that, I never fry chicken at home b/c it is just too messy. So having some really good fried chicken would be a treat.

In fact, this has inspired me to go fix myself some cheesy shrimp grits for lunch.

This looks like a fun spot for after a Panthers game, as well.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:37 AM

Ani, I am not even hungry, but you are surely tempting me to walk over to this place. I want to go on one of their live jazz nights.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Ani, I am not even hungry, but you are surely tempting me to walk over to this place. I want to go on one of their live jazz nights.
Oh my - I didn't catch that they have live jazz! You know that is what I miss so much about KCMO - my favorite jazz hang out!

Run over there! I am eating (sipping, lol) my grits right now! I had frozen shrimp, made my stone ground grits, added cheddar cheese, butter, pepper, salt, shrimp. Made it stove top. It is sooooo good, I am eating it from a HUGE cup but I swear - the consistency is such - I could drink it, but I wouldn't want to miss the flavor.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:46 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
I'll try it, but my radar is up. Any place that is endorsed by Joe Jackson may not be a place I want anything to do with.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:48 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,210,341 times
I used to go to Mert's a good bit, but it just didn't do it for me the last few times. I will check this place out!!

Old 09-07-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
I used to go to Mert's a good bit, but it just didn't do it for me the last few times. I will check this place out!!
There is nothing about Mert's that screams soulfoul. It is so over rated and bad service on top of that. I will definitely give this new place a try.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I'll try it, but my radar is up. Any place that is endorsed by Joe Jackson may not be a place I want anything to do with.
I noticed that, too, but dang . . . Joe is just anywhere and everywhere . . . you never know where he may show up . . . Joe Jackson poking his head into a shot isn't gonna keep me away from what could become one of my favorite spots in Charlotte.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:58 AM

Okay, I went for a very early dinner on Thursday. We arrived at 4:30 and the service was slow.

Anyway, the food at the restaurant was okay. I REALLY enjoyed the Sweet Potatoes biscuits. I was with two other ladies and we sampled each other’s food. The fried Grouper was good, Collard Greens w/Turkey was good and the Bar-b-cue beef short ribs were good. We did not like the Macaroni w/Cheese or the sweet potatoes casserole. The owner let us sample the deserts and everyone really enjoyed the Pound Cake.

BTW, my dinner was a special and cost only $17.

I would go back again to see if they have improved. I don't discount a place until I gave it at least two tries, especially something new.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Okay, I went for a very early dinner on Thursday. We arrived at 4:30 and the service was slow.

Anyway, the food at the restaurant was okay. I REALLY enjoyed the Sweet Potatoes biscuits. I was with two other ladies and we sampled each other’s food. The fried Grouper was good, Collard Greens w/Turkey was good and the Bar-b-cue beef short ribs were good. We did not like the Macaroni w/Cheese or the sweet potatoes casserole. The owner let us sample the deserts and everyone really enjoyed the Pound Cake.

BTW, my dinner was a special and cost only $17.

I would go back again to see if they have improved. I don't discount a place until I gave it at least two tries, especially something new.
Haven't been yet, but was hoping whoever went would give us a review! TY for doing that, QueenBee!

I agree - I always give a place 2 tries, especially when new.

If they strike out after 2 times, I am not going to go back the 3rd try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte