Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 12:35 PM

239 posts, read 376,540 times

Advertisements

i think he made some good points about the Aquarium and Gold Mine exhibit, which would undoubtably brings some great tourism and exposure to Charlotte.But his delivery just always come across very bitter and miserable.
It still baffles me when people still fall into his trap and respond back to him, because he's delivery makes it very clear that he is going to CHALLENGE EVERYONE, and makes quite a GAME out of it.
But he did make some good points about the aforementioned tourism proposals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie4417 View Post
It wasn't personal, although that seems to be a theme with you. Someone raises a point you don't like and you accuse them of making it personal.

However, at the risk of actually making it a bit personal I must point out that your reading comprehension could use a litte work. I understood from your post that your mom doesn't live here. I am sure she is happy where she chooses to live, just like my mom is.

I asked YOU why YOU would continue to spend time here considering it doesn't seem to offer what you are looking for. What would you suggest adding or highlighting in Charlotte to appeal to tourists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 12:55 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie4417 View Post
I am sure that people will see this from their own personal persepective, but if Charlotte wants to keep pace, and perhaps bid for the Super Bowl someday in the future - this couldn't possibly hurt!

Charlotte to weigh money for Panthers’ stadium upgrades | CharlotteObserver.com
It won't have a retractable roof though.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:58 PM

247 posts, read 378,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
It won't have a retractable roof though.
The hope is with the MetLife Stadium hosting the SB, future ones won't be subject to having to be in a dome or a location in what is traditionally a warmer climate.

How awesome would the SB be in a blizzard?!

Old 09-20-2012, 01:00 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartwell35 View Post
...+ he's delivery makes it very clear that he is going to CHALLENGE EVERYONE, and makes quite a GAME out of it.
I appreciate that you think I made some good points. However I will say to you that if you don't like what I post, then put me on ignore. If you think I'm breaking forum rules then report me. It's better than constantly going on about it and in fact smacks of exactly what you are complaining about. The only games being played here are by those who won't let someone else state their opinion.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:14 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
From what I understand, the Gold Mine thing has definitely been discussed and put on the table, but in the current state of our country's foreign affairs, NOW is not the time to open such a destination in an already HIGHLY BANK-FILLED TOWN to put such a thing that may be the target of any type of terrorist threat or attack. I read this in a magazine a while back while at the airport. I forget which magazine though.
But Charlotte is already a potential target because of the banks and financial institutions here, then to compoud the "interest" in Charlotte by anything dealing with GOLD would kinda be putting the target on Charlotte's back a little bit more.
My guess is that they will wait til things calm down in Japan, Libya, the Middle East, etc before really instituting such a major tourist destination such as a GOLD MINE. But NOW is NOT the time.

But I do agree that I nice world class aquarium would be nice. But lets give the city leaders some credit here..the plans for the new ZOO in Charlotte is a great additive to the city. I looooooove animals , especially big cats, and so does my 2 year old nephew, and it would be amazing to take him there.
And if you ask me, id MUCH rather have a ZOO in the city than an aquarium. Cause, hell, you can build a small aquarium INSIDE of the zoo, and have the best of both worlds.
Well, don't know how long you have been around here (maybe you are a native) but I was asking these questions 30 years ago (about the Gold Mine). The answer was - we have the Mint Museum.

So it isn't like this is a new suggestion.

Whatever "target" might be on Charlotte's back, as you put it, would not be affected by a museum.

As has been proven in the past, the concern Charlotte has with terrorists would be more likely from people living here than someone blowing up a building.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:27 PM

maybe you should go back and CAREFULLY read my response, and then respond.

FYI: Museum or not, anything with the name Gold on it will attract attention. The smart thing is to wait until certain tensions over seas toward the U.S. dies down a lil bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, don't know how long you have been around here (maybe you are a native) but I was asking these questions 30 years ago (about the Gold Mine). The answer was - we have the Mint Museum.

So it isn't like this is a new suggestion.

Whatever "target" might be on Charlotte's back, as you put it, would not be affected by a museum.

As has been proven in the past, the concern Charlotte has with terrorists would be more likely from people living here than someone blowing up a building.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
maybe you should go back and CAREFULLY read my response, and then respond.

FYI: Museum or not, anything with the name Gold on it will attract attention. The smart thing is to wait until certain tensions over seas toward the U.S. dies down a lil bit.
No, I read what you wrote. I don't have problems with comprehension.

My point is . . . this has been discussed decades in the past. If we had the museum already (and we should have) . . . so what? It would be a museum, not a gold producing mine.

Seeing as how the "tension overseas" has been going on for more than 2000 years, we will be waiting perhaps another millenia or two if we wait on things to "die down a lil bit" in those God forsaken deserts of the middle east.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:41 PM

And i was on LSU's campus this week, as I went to my alma maters home game, and a BOMB THREAT is NOT fun at all. These are things one has to take into consideration when thinking about opening such things as a GOLD MINE with the current tensions and fighting going on.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
And i was on LSU's campus this week, as I went to my alma maters home game, and a BOMB THREAT is NOT fun at all. These are things one has to take into consideration when thinking about opening such things as a GOLD MINE with the current tensions and fighting going on.
No, such things are terrible and the sad aspect is - any bomb threat could be real.

It would be unproductive and irrational to make future plans based on the crazy unpredictable acts of terrorists. Who knows what those nutballs will decide to target today, tomorrow or 10 years from now?

If we started planning for a gold mine museum today, it would still take years to come to fruition.

In the end, we are all just engaging in banter about possibilities . . .

The original post was about the stadium . . . however, it is worth noting how the dollars are being spent and what our leaders are thinking about doing next . . . it is our tax money and this city has real issues that need addressing and it feels frivolous to be even discussing handing public money to a private venture when there are public projects that need to be addressed.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:59 PM

1,241 posts, read 2,320,535 times
Quote:
Your responses remind of a coworker who told me that I should not go to Spain, back in 2000, due to the possibility that the ETA, Basque Separatist group, could plant a bomb. We can't live our lives scared that something might happen.

I agree that tax dollars should not go to private entities. Use it for public works that bring in tourists if that's where it needs to be spent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte