Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 06:19 PM

14 posts, read 20,268 times

Advertisements

My best friend and I are moving to Charlotte in the next couple of years. Neither one of us drives. Hers by choice mine because some idiot decided the red light didn't mean stop and he t-boned my car on the drivers side and made me never to want to drive again. That being said our mode of transportation will be bicycles and public transportation. I have checked out the public transportation and saw that there are trains as well as a good bus service.

My best friend wants to transfer to the Publix that is being built in Ballantyne area of Charlotte. I will look for a job before I leave or after I get there. Is this a good area to live? Also is it bicycle friendly? Are there other neighborhoods around there that are nice in case Ballantyne is out of our budget where we can find an apartment close by. Neither one of us minds using public transportation. I know Charlotte isn't a walking city but I hope it is safe for bicycles.

Are there farmer's markets, book stores etc around there? Is Charlotte easy to get around? We are just beginning the searching so any advice of sites to check out will be appreciated. Most of the places I found are for visitors and that is different than someone who lives there.

Right now I am in Florida and I hate it. I miss the 4 seasons. Is Charlotte expensive to live in? Right now I am paying $654 for a 1 bedroom. Is this doable in Charlotte or should I plan on paying more? I know it can't be as expensive as NYC. What cable/ internet companies are there. I have BrightHouse and they do a great job. I am hoping that electricity is cheaper since they not only bill you for usage here but also the cost of the fuel as well as all these taxes they tack on.

I would also like to hear from people who like us don't own a car. Thank you all for any help you can give me. I really appreciate it. I have been checking this site out for a while and the people on Citi Data are always very helpful!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 07:37 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,428,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiActs View Post
My best friend and I are moving to Charlotte in the next couple of years. Neither one of us drives. Hers by choice mine because some idiot decided the red light didn't mean stop and he t-boned my car on the drivers side and made me never to want to drive again. That being said our mode of transportation will be bicycles and public transportation. I have checked out the public transportation and saw that there are trains as well as a good bus service.

My best friend wants to transfer to the Publix that is being built in Ballantyne area of Charlotte. I will look for a job before I leave or after I get there. Is this a good area to live? Also is it bicycle friendly? Are there other neighborhoods around there that are nice in case Ballantyne is out of our budget where we can find an apartment close by. Neither one of us minds using public transportation. I know Charlotte isn't a walking city but I hope it is safe for bicycles.

Are there farmer's markets, book stores etc around there? Is Charlotte easy to get around? We are just beginning the searching so any advice of sites to check out will be appreciated. Most of the places I found are for visitors and that is different than someone who lives there.

Right now I am in Florida and I hate it. I miss the 4 seasons. Is Charlotte expensive to live in? Right now I am paying $654 for a 1 bedroom. Is this doable in Charlotte or should I plan on paying more? I know it can't be as expensive as NYC. What cable/ internet companies are there. I have BrightHouse and they do a great job. I am hoping that electricity is cheaper since they not only bill you for usage here but also the cost of the fuel as well as all these taxes they tack on.

I would also like to hear from people who like us don't own a car. Thank you all for any help you can give me. I really appreciate it. I have been checking this site out for a while and the people on Citi Data are always very helpful!

Well, there's good news and bad news...

first of all, Charlotte is a VERY spread out city. Only certain neighborhoods in it are really "walkable" - meaning you can get to stores, restaurants, banks, etc. on foot or by bike.

Ballantyne is one of the most suburban parts of Charlotte - not exactly easy to bike around. It's also a more expensive area of the city so you won't find anything in your current price range there. Where the new Publix is going up is really on the fringe of Ballantyne. It's also being built on a very busy 4 lane highway. Walking or bike riding would not be safe in that general area.

I'm going to suggest you look to live in other areas and plan on using the bus system to get to work. If you live in a more walkable area you could still use those bikes to do your other everyday living. I can send you a few apt links on dm to get you started on looking at areas.

With the 2 of you splitting the rent (I'm assuming that is your plan?), you can find a nice 2 bedroom apt for about $550. a piece, and possibly less depending on exact location.

Time Warner Cable is who you get internet and cable from - look to spend approx $100. a month for that.

Keep reading here and asking questions...but also try to plan a visit or two to scope things out in person

Last edited by lovesMountains; 09-20-2012 at 07:46 PM..

Old 09-20-2012, 08:08 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,964,938 times
Charlotte's transportation system is supported by a half cent sales tax. It's the only city in NC that I think has a system good enough to consider (seriously) living without a car. I'm not saying it's convenient, I'm sure many bus riders would rather drive and can't afford to. You will get around the city easier if you own a car. But most bus routes have service about every 15 to 20 minutes on weekdays. Saturday may be every 30 to 60 minutes, but generally the neighborhoods within 485 do have coverage.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:16 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,980,878 times
There is also a publix going up across the border in fort mill. Its a bit more affordable there.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:25 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,946,474 times
Since you are asking for an opinion and based solely on your OP I'll give you my opinion. Stay in Florida.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:07 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,279,170 times
Bicycling around Ballantyne is very dangerous. There would also be no bus from where you live - what if it rains? The only way you can survive here by bus/bike only is in the central areas.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:30 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,964,938 times
There is bus service to parts of Ballantyne. But I agree it's not built for bicycles. Only a few roads in Charlotte have proper bike lanes. Although in another 20 years the greenway system may be complete enough to provide a good substitute transportation network for cyclists. Right now the sections of it don't match up well enough to avoid the roads.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:06 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,277,257 times
It's possible to get around Charlotte without a car but not ideal IMO.

Maybe Atlanta could be an option? Although I'm not really sure how bike-friendly it is, the public transportation is better, Publix is already there, and they have 4 seasons as well. It's also a little closer to FL assuming you have some family there.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:48 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,204,447 times
I am going to be blunt. If my son asked me the same question you asked us -- I would beg him not to come to Charlotte.

While it may be POSSIBLE to use a bicycle in various areas, and while it may be POSSIBLE to get around "most of the time" using a bus, it is far from ideal when trying to hook up with Ballantyne.

Further, and I really really hate to say this (as it bothers me) . . . you are taking your life in your hands if you try to use a bicycle as your main mode of transportation here. There are only certain areas I would feel comfortable knowing my son or daughter were biking in.

A car is your shield in most of this town. SERIOUSLY.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:55 PM

14 posts, read 20,268 times
Thank you all for your advice and opinions. I figured Ballantyne was expensive so my best friend and I figured we would check out other neighborhoods and use our bicycles for places close by and take the train or bus to get to other areas. All I have to say is that it has to be better than Lakeland, FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte