Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 07:17 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
I'd say 77 South of Uptown because it's currently the busiest section in the whole metro and also one that doesn't have any room to expand for more lanes. They don't have HOV down there, it's just 3 regular lanes on each side. Can't find the link to the original article right now but I was reading somewhere that for NC to widen it to 8 lanes would cost over $1 billion because they would have to buy up so much valuable private property to build it and tear down and replace every bridge. Someone posted the excerpt from the article at this link. Basically the state is temporarily going to not think about it for now. They'll probably handle 77 in North Meck and 485 in Ballantyne first as those are easier and cheaper to address.

Charlotte's LYNX light rail: Open for Business 2007
Gotcha, guess I thought you were referring to between 77 and 485 north of uptown. But even if 77 south of Charlotte is the busiest stretch of highway, three lanes each way are still more than the two on what always seem like the three biggest bottlenecks in the area IMO (as I mentioned earlier in the thread): 485 between 77 and 51, 77 between Huntersville and Cornelius, and 85 between Harris Blvd and Concord. Although I guess one of them is in the process of hopefully being corrected, and another is in the works, so you may be right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 10:19 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Simply put, the traffic in Charlotte is better than any eastern seaboard city that has I-95 running through it.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:14 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tduane2003 View Post
I currently live in Tampa, Fl and have also lived in Kansas City, MO. Traffic in Tampa can be heavy at times and traffic in KC was heavy during rush hour. So, I am used to a little more robust traffic but I think Atlanta takes the cake....lol
Charlotte's traffic is NOTHING like Atlanta, lol.

If you are used to KC and Tampa I think you'd find Charlotte about the same.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:27 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
My recommendation is to live close to where you need to commute to. Traffic issue solved. People living outside of Mecklenburg, who drive in, well... too bad. This is the choice you made and it won't be getting any better. Petition your county government to support the rail system if you need a solution.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
Simply put, the traffic in Charlotte is better than any eastern seaboard city that has I-95 running through it.
Agree for the most part, but Charlotte traffic is worse than Richmond (which really isn't bad at all). I'm also not familiar with Jacksonville but I'd imagine Charlotte's traffic might be worse than theirs.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:49 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Agree for the most part, but Charlotte traffic is worse than Richmond (which really isn't bad at all). I'm also not familiar with Jacksonville but I'd imagine Charlotte's traffic might be worse than theirs.
I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with you. Granted, I never lived in Richmond but getting past it is murder on my way to DC. Traffic is every bit as "bad" as it is here during rush hour if not worse.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:33 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
My recommendation is to live close to where you need to commute to. Traffic issue solved. People living outside of Mecklenburg, who drive in, well... too bad. This is the choice you made and it won't be getting any better. Petition your county government to support the rail system if you need a solution.
I agree. Those who dont live here and pay a dime to make things nice here are always the ones who cry like big babies when they have traffic problems......Duh. maybe they are the ones causing it...lol

Old 10-25-2012, 05:38 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
My recommendation is to live close to where you need to commute to. Traffic issue solved. People living outside of Mecklenburg, who drive in, well... too bad. This is the choice you made and it won't be getting any better.
Goodness knows we don't agree to often, but reputation for this. My sentiments exactly. Don't get me started on the air pollution...

Old 10-25-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with you. Granted, I never lived in Richmond but getting past it is murder on my way to DC. Traffic is every bit as "bad" as it is here during rush hour if not worse.
Agree to disagree then :-). I've driven through Richmond many times and stayed there for work and rarely had any issues with rush hour traffic in Richmond itself. The worst part about 95 through Richmond are all the potholes that are often there.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:24 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Agree to disagree then :-). I've driven through Richmond many times and stayed there for work and rarely had any issues with rush hour traffic in Richmond itself. The worst part about 95 through Richmond are all the potholes that are often there.
I don't agree to that.

Ah, there's the sticky wicket, "in Richmond". I've never driven in Richmond, just on 95 passing it which is brutality itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte