U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-15-2012, 05:23 AM
 
156 posts, read 262,237 times
Reputation: 164

Advertisements

So crime doesn't creep into Waxhaw?? jw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-30-2013, 04:15 PM
 
15 posts, read 54,794 times
Reputation: 17
I was thinking of the same concerns also, because I'm planning to move to North Carolina from Florida. During that thought I was wondering if it would be safer for me if I moved to Raleigh or Charlotte, then I was thinking Cary, N.C would be better for you and I would like to move a bit outside the city of raleigh... first of all I was thinking of moving to South Carolina but nevermind North Carolina came up to my mind. Anyways Cary is outside the city also and had great spacious homes that is very family friendly safe! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 08:48 PM
 
10 posts, read 13,959 times
Reputation: 11
Personally: I would recommend Raleigh over Charlotte. If you have to locate to the Charlotte area; at least buy a home in another county other than Mecklenburg. Negative to that is you have to commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 09:10 PM
 
29,699 posts, read 27,133,604 times
Reputation: 18232
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkindlyskydiver View Post
Personally: I would recommend Raleigh over Charlotte. If you have to locate to the Charlotte area; at least buy a home in another county other than Mecklenburg. Negative to that is you have to commute.
Why would you make that recommendation without knowing anything else about what she needs or prefers in a city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 09:20 PM
 
10 posts, read 13,959 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Why would you make that recommendation without knowing anything else about what she needs or prefers in a city?
"Which is the better place to live. Charlotte or Raleigh."
She provided no other details. Basing this on a generic question; I provided a generic answer based on living in both cities, and familiarity with both areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2013, 10:01 PM
 
29,699 posts, read 27,133,604 times
Reputation: 18232
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkindlyskydiver View Post
"Which is the better place to live. Charlotte or Raleigh."
She provided no other details. Basing this on a generic question; I provided a generic answer based on living in both cities, and familiarity with both areas.
But your answer wasn't generic; it was specific since you answered with Raleigh.

A generic answer--and the appropriate one in this case, given the lack of information about personal preferences, needs, etc.--would be, "It depends."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2013, 07:49 AM
 
109 posts, read 169,737 times
Reputation: 76
I crack up when someone arbitrarily suggests their city for another to move without knowing what the person is looking for (jobs? LGBT scene? Strong conservative bastion? mass transit?).

Of course I always crack up more when someone who doesn't apparently know anything about the the state says they want to move here and then ask a bunch of strangers where they should move without explaining exactly what they are looking for in a new community.

Last thought - unless people are retired and/or rich with disposable incomes - how on earth do all these people just decided they're going to pick a city first and then worry about finding a job? Maybe it's just me but it seems that you do the research on jobs, apply, and see where you get the bites before considering the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2013, 07:59 AM
 
7,672 posts, read 9,863,873 times
Reputation: 7945
We moved here without a job as we loved the city and way of life here. We thought wrong that jobs would be easy in my husband's field as it's plentiful in other states/cities. That's why I always say find jobs first!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2013, 02:36 PM
 
29,699 posts, read 27,133,604 times
Reputation: 18232
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTMark View Post
I crack up when someone arbitrarily suggests their city for another to move without knowing what the person is looking for (jobs? LGBT scene? Strong conservative bastion? mass transit?).

Of course I always crack up more when someone who doesn't apparently know anything about the the state says they want to move here and then ask a bunch of strangers where they should move without explaining exactly what they are looking for in a new community.

Last thought - unless people are retired and/or rich with disposable incomes - how on earth do all these people just decided they're going to pick a city first and then worry about finding a job? Maybe it's just me but it seems that you do the research on jobs, apply, and see where you get the bites before considering the city.
Can't rep you anymore, but agreed on all three fronts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:59 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top