Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2012, 07:58 PM

930 posts, read 2,154,823 times

Advertisements

Since it is getting colder, I have started thinking about Christmas. LOL I looked up the Southern Christmas show for this year and it starts November 8 and runs through November 18. Admission is $10. If you haven't gone, and like Christmas crafts, you should give it a try. I have gone for the last two years and am going back again. They have unique things for gifts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 09:17 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,363,292 times
I haven't been since the 90's. Hate it. It reminds me of the floral store in the small mall right by carowinds(again, back in the 90's. I think it's a Mexican mall now...)

Maybe it's Way better... I need thoughts about it from others because I might go this year.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:17 PM

469 posts, read 888,719 times
My sister and I make it a tradition to go the first day every year. I've been every year for at least 20 years. I love it. I used to buy quite a bit more than I buy now, now I mainly enjoy looking and people watching. I can't imagine a comparison of Outlet Marketplace (what that mall used to be called). I'm guessing you mean Carolina Pottery as being the floral store - I can't imagine anything else, but even that was a lot more than a floral store and it was absolutely nothing like The Southern Christmas Show.

On a side note - Christmas Made in the South is coming up as well too Oct 19-21st. I used to go to that one all the time when they were still in the Charlotte Convention Center. I've only been a couple of times since they moved to the Cabarrus Arena. I'm not a very big fan of that location now, and it seems like it's never advertised much anymore so I end up forgetting about it. I actually enjoyed this show a bit more since everything was handmade. But both shows had their place for the things I like to look at.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:06 PM

Go To Girl: Thank you for mentioning the Christmas made in the South. I have never heard of it. I am going to look it up and check it out.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:48 AM

54 posts, read 121,115 times
I have been going to the xmas show for the past 5 years with mom - sort of tradition now that we go every year. Although I was a little disappointed last year - it seemed like some of the vendors were in an unpleasant mood and did not even greet you once you stepped inside their space. Most were on their phones and seemed uninterested in letting you know about their product - which I thought was odd. Their facebook page is a really good source of information of what is coming up with the xmas show. I am looking forward to it this years - We usually take a Friday off and get there bright and early - the only thing is you have to pay for parking, however instead of coming from Independence we took the back route - so much quicker and got a super close parking space near the door.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:37 PM

841 posts, read 2,470,161 times
I went last year for the first time and it was one of those places where once is good enough for me. It was extremely crowded and everything was way overpriced. For the amount of money that vendors charge for their stuff, you would thinks it's at least free to get in. But I did not like that fact that you have to pay to get into a place to spend money. However...I did enjoy the atmosphere...the Christmas decoration, the Christmas music and I did love the wine tasting section! =) It definitely gets you in the Christmas spirit.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:37 AM

812 posts, read 1,902,785 times
I go with a girlfriend almost every year! We love it..sorta kicks off the holiday season for us! The smells, the sights.....yes the crowds. Just go with an open mind and TIME. If you know ahead of time that it will be packed you can be prepared and just go with the flow.

The prices aren't any higher than gifts shops, specialty stores etc.... I usually don't buy as much now as I used too but I enjoy finding unique items I may not find in my own small town. I enjoy getting personalized items for my daughter and usually find really special teacher gifts. A lot of vendors will offer specials on multiple items.

Usually Harris Teeter has discounted tickets and occasionally you can find specials in the paper or pre-purchase online.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:36 PM

I think there are unique gifts there, too. I found a vendor that sells things for school bus drivers. I have bought everything that he has in the last three years. Now, I guess, luckily the old bus driver quit and we have a new one. Now, I can start over. LOL

Old 10-10-2012, 03:03 AM

11 posts, read 13,187 times
My mom and I go almost every year. I guess it's one of our ways to start off the Christmas season. This year I'm pregnant with my first child and still have plans to go on or around opening day. I'll be 38.5 weeks by then. Hope all the walking will do some good to start labor! Ha! Unless our daughter comes early, I know it'll be nice to get out and get in the Christmas spirit before I'm too exhausted from staying up half the night.

They have a lot of the same stuff every year, but they do have unique gifts and decor. We're also fortunate that a family member is a vendor and gives us a few of her tickets!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte