U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 03:37 PM

21,903 posts, read 27,179,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
McCrory is from Ohio. He moved to Greensboro as a youth.

I know for a fact the the Wesley Chapel town council had some recent transplants from NY on it and I would assume some of the other small suburbs have transplants on their boards.
We have a transplant from NY (not sure if it's NYC or Upstate) on the Kings Mountain city council.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 03:41 PM

21,903 posts, read 27,179,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
I guess the response to the OP depends on your definition of transplant. If a person is born in another state and lives in NC for X number of years, how many years are required to no longer be considered a transplant? or if a person is born in another state and moves to NC, are they always considered a transplant? or are they only considered a transplant if they plan to stay in NC forever?
You're a native of where you were born. That's the definition of being a native of a place. You can be a long-term resident of a place, but you can't change where you happened to be born, at will.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:54 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,392,863 times
Quote:
McCrory is from Ohio. He moved to Greensboro as a youth.

I know for a fact the the Wesley Chapel town council had some recent transplants from NY on it and I would assume some of the other small suburbs have transplants on their boards.
Good grief, Pat McCrory has been here most his life and grew into adulthood here - he's hardly what our OP meant by "transplant"

Old 09-29-2012, 04:15 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,652,508 times
When I think of transplant, I think of someone who's lived in an area for not a long time....(including myself)

I think most people would consider McCrory a native since he's lived here most of his life...

Old 09-29-2012, 04:22 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,473,248 times
McCrory in his stump speech often reminds people he grew up in Jamestown after moving there with his parents as a child. He doesn't pitch himself as a "native" but as someone that adapted to living here.

I generally agree though, that he's not a transplant if he got a public education here and worked his adult life in NC.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:28 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,102,039 times
LOL I thought we were talking about ORGAN transplants... Never mind

Old 09-29-2012, 04:29 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,273,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Good grief, Pat McCrory has been here most his life and grew into adulthood here - he's hardly what our OP meant by "transplant"
Hmm. I seem to remember you arguing that even folks whose parents were from the North couldn't really be considered "natives," but I digress.

I think the larger point the OP was getting at was the influence of "transplants," however defined, in public office. It is interesting to note that some of Charlotte's best mayors were not born in Charlotte - Harvey Gantt is from Charleston, and Sue Myrick and Pat McCrory are from Ohio.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Hmm. I seem to remember you arguing that even folks whose parents were from the North couldn't really be considered "natives," but I digress.

I think the larger point the OP was getting at was the influence of "transplants," however defined, in public office. It is interesting to note that some of Charlotte's best mayors were not born in Charlotte - Harvey Gantt is from Charleston, and Sue Myrick and Pat McCrory are from Ohio.
There is a HUGE difference between being a transplant somewhere and being a native of a place.

Southbound explained it above. You are a "native" of wherever you are born, a "transplant" if you move to a place once you are grown up.

So while Pat can't be called a "native" southerner, he is certainly a southerner by virtue of the fact he moved here as a child and came to adulthood here.

My husband was born in New Jersey because his folks happened to be there when she went into labor. So while technically he's not a "native" southerner, you better never call this southern boy a yankee, lol!!

Old 09-29-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
And I have NO CLUE what in the hell you are referring to there.

I would NEVER say someone has to have had parents born in the south for them to be considered southern themselves - that's just nuts.

You are a "native" of wherever you happen to be born.

Last edited by lovesMountains; 09-29-2012 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-29-2012, 04:43 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,940,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You're a native of where you were born. That's the definition of being a native of a place. You can be a long-term resident of a place, but you can't change where you happened to be born, at will.
No offense, but I was talking about transplant rather than native...and I am happy to know that I can't change my birthplace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte