Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 01:29 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,585 times

Advertisements

I haven't recommended Bermuda for Charlotte. My recommendations, as stated above, are centipede and bermuda. One of the varieties adapted for the Carolinas will do just fine and will look very nice.

I honestly don't know why they push Bermuda for this area. Maybe this is the only stuff that people from cooler climates are familiar with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Again, you love to make unprovoked insults at notherners ....
Good Sir, I appreciate ALL Americans who take responsibilities for their actions. It doesn't matter to me where they are born and I've been consistent about that on this forum. I've also said before if my comments are so troubling to you then please put me on ignore. You don't have to read them and please don't try to derail this topic by bringing up dиc politics.

This topic is about grass in the yards. If you don't believe what I said, I don't mind. Start your own topic on the benefits of fescue if you like. I won't bring up politics in it nor call you names if you do so.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:37 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,583,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
You win. I don't do battle of the web links. Enjoy your fescue.

-----------------------------------------------

For the rest of you who are interested in something else. You don't have to believe me. I offer this up for you to consider before you spend another season in the futile exercise of replanting something that will be dead again in 9 months.
Again everything is your opinion. I know of plenty of lawns that don't even need reseeded, and they are fescue. You don't know everything, like you think you do. Also just because something works for you and you like it doesn't mean everyone else will like it as well. There are plenty of people that are more than happy with their fescue lawns. I'm glad your happy with your warm weather grass. I hate the look in the winter sorry.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:38 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Our fescue lawn does just fine and has never died in the seven years we have maintained it. We don't water often, either. If you establish it right you shouldn't have a lot of maintenance or high water needs. Maybe you just aren't doing it right, frewroad.

I would never put in Bermuda. It's extremely susceptible to weeds and may not require watering in the summer, but it does require a TON of weed control. It also looks horrible for six months out of the year and tracks everywhere. With two dogs I don't need a grass that tracks as badly as Bermuda. Like coupon said, different strokes.
+1. It IS different strokes. I love my fescue and it looks great, but that doesnt mean everyone should. Unfortunately some people have to lie or spread misinformation to ruin a good topic.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:39 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,583,121 times
Quote:
Good Sir, I appreciate ALL Americans who take responsibilities for their actions. It doesn't matter to me where they are born and I've been consistent about that on this forum. I've also said before if my comments are so troubling to you then please put me on ignore. You don't have to read them and please don't try to derail this topic by bringing up dиc politics.

This topic is about grass in the yards. If you don't believe what I said, I don't mind. Start your own topic on the benefits of fescue if you like. I won't bring up politics in it nor call you names if you do so.
well your first post mentioned northerners. Sorry I agree you have a problem with people from the north, and our cool weather grasses lol

Old 09-25-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
well your first post mentioned northerners. Sorry I agree you have a problem with people from the north, and our cool weather grasses lol
This is because St. Augustine, Centipede, and other similar grass isn't grown there so natives to this region of the world would presumably be unfamiliar with this option. This, IMO (and that does mean opinion so you don't need to state this again) is why they continue to plant Northern grass in Charlotte.

There was nothing more too it than that. My goodness I didn't expect some take offense at something so simple. You have decided what I've got to say is nonsense so I don't know why you persist in my topic on grass. As I said to the last forumer, go start a topic on Fescue.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:10 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
My goodness I didn't expect some take offense at something so simple. You have decided what I've got to say is nonsense so I don't know why you persist in my topic on grass. As I said to the last forumer, go start a topic on Fescue.
Of COURSE you knew what you were saying and of course you knew people would react to your misinformation and lies about this topic. No one here fell off the turnip truck yesterday buddy....

Look at your opening post and what you said:

1. You said Fescue dies. That is NOT true. It goes dormant when it goes through extreme periods of heat and drought. It does not die. Your statement is false and misleading.

2. You said you need 'lots of expensive water'. FALSE. My water bill in Union county is $40-50 on a high month for everything in my house each month. And I do water early in the morning after a long period of no rain. I also gave you a detailed list of what I spend $$ on for my lawn (ie aerating/lime/scotts)

3. You said it will only last 9 months. FALSE. My established lawn looks GREAT for 10-11 months of the year unlike other types of grasses.

4. Your statement of it should only be fed to goats makes your opinion look extremely silly and childish..

Shall I go on? That was only 1 post by you.

Again, the hatred and bias to northerners and everything they do is growing very tiresome...even natives dont take you seriously and defend you anymore...lol

Old 09-25-2012, 02:17 PM

199 posts, read 204,626 times
So do you plant centipede over fescue? I hate the Bermuda brown look, is there a 9-10 month "green" period combo that works.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Of COURSE you knew what you were saying and of course you knew people would react to your misinformation and lies about this topic. No one here fell off the turnip truck yesterday buddy....
I will address your issues.

1. Fescue does die above 85 degrees. This is why it's called a cool season grass. It doesn't do well at all in Zone 8 and you won't find it in Zones 9 & 10. The die off can be mitigated and prevented by careful amounts of persistent watering. I said this above. Unfortunately if you are on CMUD you are spending a lot of money to do this now considering how much the rates have been raised. Furthermore the watering can encourage fungus and other weeds to grow, mainly clover & crabgrass and that cost money to remove as well.
  2. I didn't say anything about Union County. I said Charlotte and CMUDs rates have gotten expensive. There are people ON THIS FORUM complaining about $200+ month watering bills. My topic is for them.
  3. I'm happy you have a lawn that last 11 months. Fescue can be made to grow year round if you put the effort into it. I said this too, but you left this out. The point of my post is that a warm season grass give you this with almost no work. The vast majority of what I post about on this forum has to do with Charlotte so don't assume it applies to the exhurbs. People have to figure this out for themselves.
  4. The comments about goats is an opinion and an attempt at a joke. Unless you are a goat, I don't see the offense. If I offended you by stating that it's my opinion that fescue, a livestock grass, should be fed to goats, then I apologise to you.
  5. You can go on if you wish. It's not my forum so you don't need to ask my permission to post. I offer up that you should show the same consideration.
I hope this clears it up for you. I think you are making assumptions about vendettas against Northerners that simply don't exist.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:32 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,376,082 times
I love my weeds, they stay green all year! LOL!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte