Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2012, 09:46 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times

Advertisements

Connecticut-based Odyssey Logistics & Technology will add 100 workers to the 170 at its operations center in Charlotte, which handles technology, customer service and other corporate functions. The site was chosen for the expansion over cities such as Charleston, Atlanta and Chicago, and no incentives were involved.

read more here
Logistics company will add 100 jobs in Charlotte
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 02:21 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,822 times
I just read that the 100 people being hired will be hired over the next 7 years. That is less than 15 a year. Pretty hard to get excited over this news.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:13 PM

189 posts, read 333,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
I just read that the 100 people being hired will be hired over the next 7 years. That is less than 15 a year. Pretty hard to get excited over this news.
It should excite you since this line was in the article:

Quote:
No government incentives were involved in the deal, officials said.
We didn't entice them to grow here, they chose to. And IMO, that's something to get excited about!

Old 09-26-2012, 06:53 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,165,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
I am happy to hear about any new job created locally. It all adds up, I'm a big supporter of small and medium size companies, they are the ones that pay most taxes.

Usually the large corporations are the ones demanding and expecting all kind of incentives and they are also the ones that end up paying an army of accountants just to minimize their taxes. They are also the soul-less ones where an employee is just a number, and the minute another state/country comes with a better offer, they just disappear.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:02 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,711 times
Thats good news and I hope that people dont come in by the thousands to get the jobs and that they go to established local folks who need work. After all the locals that have lived here for years have put plenty BACK into this area . Any company coming here needs to agree to hire locals because Im sure there are plenty of people here that can do the jobs,

Old 09-26-2012, 07:14 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,165,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Thats good news and I hope that people dont come in by the thousands to get the jobs and that they go to established local folks who need work. After all the locals that have lived here for years have put plenty BACK into this area . Any company coming here needs to agree to hire locals because Im sure there are plenty of people here that can do the jobs,
It all depends on the job type. Companies like Siemens, Toshiba nuclear, etc need to pay per engineer well over $150k/year to attract decent engineers to move here and work for them. And they are not alone.

There is a huge demand at the national level of skilled technical jobs that goes unfulfilled. It is almost impossible to find nowadays good machinists (CNC operators), welders, mechanical engineers (that actually know how to design), technical sales engineers, good fabricators, etc.

I know of many companies owners that cannot find decent employees that are at least willing to learn and not be there just for a pay check...
The fact that in the last 20 years manufacturing has been exported, smart kids have found different type of jobs (non manufacturing type) in our "service economy" and it will get worst as many baby-boomers are ready to retire soon...

Old 09-27-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
I am happy to hear about any new job created locally. It all adds up, I'm a big supporter of small and medium size companies, they are the ones that pay most taxes.

Usually the large corporations are the ones demanding and expecting all kind of incentives and they are also the ones that end up paying an army of accountants just to minimize their taxes. They are also the soul-less ones where an employee is just a number, and the minute another state/country comes with a better offer, they just disappear.
Huge companies expect tax incentives as they invest tons of money into communities and provide tons of jobs. They are required to face obsticles that small businesses often don't face, ie. EPA compliance, OSHA issues, insurance issues, retirement issues, etc. They may pay a smaller percentage of taxes but they pay tons more of taxes. It is like the top one percent. They may pay a smaller percentage, but they pay a very huge disproportionate amount of federal taxes.

Additionally, when a company gets large, there naturally isn't a personal one-on-one relationship that might occur in a small momma-poppa business. It is a business where productivity is key, not personal relationships. That is for after work hours. I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say, "and the minute another state/country comes with a better offer, they disappear." Are you refering to another state or country offering better tax incentives?

I too am a huge supporter of small, medium, or lagre companies. They all provide jobs and are a benefit to the community. If it hadn't been for NCNB years ago and brilliant local businessmen, Charlotte wouldn't have been able to enjoy the prosperity it enjoys today (or before 2008 anyway).

I understand your point. I just disagree that companies are "soul-less". They are around to make money and not for interpersonal relationships. The larger companies are, the less personal they seem to become. The same is typical in city living. The larger the city, the less personal everyone becomes.

The world evolves around money. Tax incentives result in more money being provided. I support them. The more generous a municipality with such incentives, the more thriving it becomes.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:50 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,711 times
I know they got to hire the people they think will do the best job but if we think that "100 new jobs" are coming to charlotte to give 100 people here a job I think not. The result is there will not be 100 new jobs .

Old 09-27-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
I know they got to hire the people they think will do the best job but if we think that "100 new jobs" are coming to charlotte to give 100 people here a job I think not. The result is there will not be 100 new jobs .
Remember when the Perdue boasted about bringing Chicuita to Charlotte with all of the jobs and we got none? She hasn't a clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: