Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2012, 04:09 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,164,128 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to buy a property with an old house built on about 2 acres and try to have it rezoned - so I can have the property remodeled into my company office. There will be minimum traffic since I'm a small industrial distributor, no direct sale.
There are no close-by neighborhoods/neighbours and the property is close to main street (within 1 mile down the road is a retail centre, church, and other homes).

Anybody has any experience on how hard is it to work with UC officials to rezone from residential to commercial?
Since property taxes will more than double, I would assume that if there is no neighbors complains, the officials should be happy to increase the commercial base (badly needed for UC)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 04:13 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,184,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
I'm planning to buy a property with an old house built on about 2 acres and try to have it rezoned - so I can have the property remodeled into my company office. There will be minimum traffic since I'm a small industrial distributor, no direct sale.
There are no close-by neighborhoods/neighbours and the property is close to main street (within 1 mile down the road is a retail centre, church, and other homes).

Anybody has any experience on how hard is it to work with UC officials to rezone from residential to commercial?
Since property taxes will more than double, I would assume that if there is no neighbors complains, the officials should be happy to increase the commercial base (badly needed for UC)...
If the property is within a village, you'll have to get their zoning people to change it.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:23 PM

45,374 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Does it adjoin/abut an already commercially zoned district? If not, and the subject property is in the middle of a residential block (it doesn't matter whether you currently have any neighbors if the base zoning is residential), then you're likely out of both gas and fumes. Zoning boards do not like to do that and in many cases it's illegal (it's called spot rezoning).

You might ask for a variance (normally non-permitted use with conditions imposed), a Special Exception (you have to prove that the neighborhood has changed substantially and your proposed use is now not incompatible), see if your business fits under a Home Occupation category (you'd likely have to live there) or prove that the property was zoned residential in error.

As a note, and this is not a reflection on you, I hate guys that do this: buy a property fully knowing the zoning but with a non-allowed use planned who then try to have the zoning and neighborhood changed to fit their plans.

Why don't you just buy a property already zoned for your proposed use.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
If the property is within a village, you'll have to get their zoning people to change it.
It is part of unincorporated Union County area, does not belong to a village.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Does it adjoin/abut an already commercially zoned district? If not, and the subject property is in the middle of a residential block (it doesn't matter whether you currently have any neighbors if the base zoning is residential), then you're likely out of both gas and fumes. Zoning boards do not like to do that and in many cases it's illegal (it's called spot rezoning).

You might ask for a variance (normally non-permitted use with conditions imposed), a Special Exception (you have to prove that the neighborhood has changed substantially and your proposed use is now not incompatible), see if your business fits under a Home Occupation category (you'd likely have to live there) or prove that the property was zoned residential in error.

As a note, and this is not a reflection on you, I hate guys that do this: buy a property fully knowing the zoning but with a non-allowed use planned who then try to have the zoning and neighborhood changed to fit their plans.

Why don't you just buy a property already zoned for your proposed use.
I understand your frustration but this is not the case where I plan to disturb an establish neighborhood, it is all former farm land. It happens that the old farm had the land split to become commercial properties and some far apart houses, churches.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
I understand your frustration but this is not the case where I plan to disturb an establish neighborhood, it is all former farm land. It happens that the old farm had the land split to become commercial properties and some far apart houses, churches.

What's the base/underlying zoning on the property you're looking at? Don't buy anything until you get your rezoning questions answered, which would be at the County's PandZ Department.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
What's the base/underlying zoning on the property you're looking at? Don't buy anything until you get your rezoning questions answered, which would be at the County's PandZ Department.
Yes I will definitely confirm with the county before making an offer, I wanted to see if anybody has had any experience (while I also realize that it is all "location dependent")....it an odd one since the previous owner obviously had a road repair type of business run from this house...

Old 09-27-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Yes I will definitely confirm with the county before making an offer, I wanted to see if anybody has had any experience (while I also realize that it is all "location dependent")....it an odd one since the previous owner obviously had a road repair type of business run from this house...
If it was part of a farm and zoned agricultural that was likely a permitted use. If under the new sub-division the parcels were then zoned residential the prior use, or uses, wouldn't matter today as current zoning would control the use.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 09-27-2012 at 07:10 PM..

Old 09-27-2012, 09:52 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:

I don't normally open Union County threads, but I was curious.

Call or go to Monroe & find out which lawyers they deal with most frequently. Hire a lawyer.

I don't know the nature of your business, but you might be able to get it rezoned as GB. Where I live, they seem to rezone for GB easier than commercial. There seems to be an overlap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte