Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 03:21 PM

26 posts, read 38,719 times

Advertisements

Anybody have the inside scoop on what they plan to put in between the Walmart and Walgreens at 73 and 16? They have been grading the land for a few weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 06:06 AM

537 posts, read 1,768,317 times
I don't know about all the stores, but I was trying to look up the zoning petition for the shops where the Papa John's and Yamato's are when I came upon an approved request from QuikTrip to increase the allowable parking from 39 spaces to 69 spaces. So, I'm assuming that right at the corner is going to be a QT gas and convenience store.

http://www.lincolncounty.org/index.aspx?nid=1262 ... from that request it looks like the area is being developed by Aston Properties. Maybe I'll go look at their site to see... http://www.astonprop.com/denver/index.cfm

Last edited by LakesideAnnie; 09-18-2012 at 06:21 AM.. Reason: add'l info

Old 09-18-2012, 03:18 PM

26 posts, read 38,719 times
A wine shop leaves and a Quik Trip comes in. Effective immediately, I declare a moratorium on any more:

Thrift/Consignment shops
Storage places
Convenient Stores
Auto/Auto Body shops
Dog Grooming places
Sports-themed bars/restaurants
Ethnic Restaurants (unless they are authentic and high quality)
Creepy Gas Stations that look like meth distribution points (you know the ones I'm talking about)

And maybe add some things that we lack like:

A hospital that isn't 30 minutes away
Movie Theatre complex
Starbucks
The Fresh Market (ie Cornelius)
A Panera (or any of the somewhat nicer places that aren't dependent on an industrial-size deep fryer)
A decent wine shop
what the hell...a Costco!

Old 09-19-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdo View Post
And maybe add some things that we lack like:

A hospital that isn't 30 minutes away...
Awww. C'mon! Presby-Huntersville is only 25 minutes away.
Not much consolation when you're swelling with hives from a bee sting, though.

I pretty much agree with your Moratorium, though. I mean, just how many "Japanese" restaurants does one little bedroom community need???

Old 09-19-2012, 01:00 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Keep in mind Denver is just starting to grow and it really didnt begin to grow til the new Highway 16 was built around 2005.
It also is unincorporated, something that should be consider before Charlotte or Huntersville annex all the growth at Hwy 16 and 73.

What is odd is this section is called Denver but it is actually Lowesville. Google maps list it as such and if you start at beginning of 73 at hwy 27 there is a sign on how many miles to Lowesville.

Denver growth now is where Huntersville was in 2000. I remember doing construction work at Barnes and Noble in mostly vacant Birkdale Village in 2002.

Be patient and take pictures as Denver is in its infant stage and will look different 10 years from now.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Keep in mind Denver is just starting to grow and it really didnt begin to grow til the new Highway 16 was built around 2005.
It also is unincorporated, something that should be consider before Charlotte or Huntersville annex all the growth at Hwy 16 and 73.

What is odd is this section is called Denver but it is actually Lowesville. Google maps list it as such and if you start at beginning of 73 at hwy 27 there is a sign on how many miles to Lowesville.

Denver growth now is where Huntersville was in 2000. I remember doing construction work at Barnes and Noble in mostly vacant Birkdale Village in 2002.

Be patient and take pictures as Denver is in its infant stage and will look different 10 years from now.
I respectfully disagree.

Growth was put on hold as the county needed more wastewater treatment space. Sure, we got a few projects completed prior to the moratorium (how many times can I use that word in this thread?) But even now that the new plant is complete and operational, the economy has not been conducive to growth. We moved to the area 6 years ago, fully expecting it to be the next boom town... we're still waiting as the value of our house yo-yo's between what we paid for it and below. And, I've been coming to the area for even longer as I have step-children that moved here with their mother long before we moved here, so I've watched the "growth."

I also don't agree with your statement "just starting to grow" as it's been "just starting to grow" for over 15 years.

Let's just say, Denver is a late, slow-bloomer.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:41 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Im saying it starting to grow because the whole area looks nothing like it did 15 years ago. Nothing but woods going down highway 73 except the Harris Teeter and the shopping center across the street.
If the economy didnt tank Im sure there area would developed faster.
So yeah due to economy it became a slow bloomer. With Lincoln County excellent school record and quieter part of Lake Norman things look bright for Denver within the next decade.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:41 PM

59 posts, read 138,350 times
Agree with Billdo....How about a Trader Joes and Total Wine?

Old 09-20-2012, 06:01 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

Correct. Denver proper is actually about 6 miles north of Walmart on #73. The most famous landmark for Denver is Stacy's and the old Camp Ground from the early 1800s (an interesting landmark).

Old 09-20-2012, 11:52 AM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times
QuikTrip is a very nice, clean convenience store and will be a nice addition to the area. Not an average Circle K or Kangaroo. So at least a good choice there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte