U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 07:08 PM

345 posts, read 725,934 times

Advertisements

I'm on Verizon with 2 smartphones and 1GB data - paying 135$ monthly, together we use about 300Mb.

Is there a way to switch to cheaper plan on other providers, which relatively reliable as Verizon.

I'm out of contract so ready to switch if I get a better deal on a reliable network.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 06:06 AM

441 posts, read 1,289,983 times
I have had other providers and have many friends that have jumped ship and moved to Verizon. They seem to have the best service and coverage of all of them.
I feel your pain though. We were in last week discussing a new plan to upgrade and add 3 new smartphones. I will have 5 and we are looking at a 10G share everything plan. I'd give anything to have you $135 bill....lol. 1G between 2 phones is not very much. I think the standard plan now offers 2G per phone and it is $15 for each additional gig you use. iPhones are free, iPhone 4S is $99, and iPhone 5 is $199. Phone service is just not cheap. If you would have told me 10 years ago I'd be paying this much for phones one day, I'd of told you you were off your rocker!

Old 09-29-2012, 06:26 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,961,991 times
Hmm. I have a regular mobile phone, no data at all. $23.99/month. I sill think I'm paying too much. Sprint.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:48 AM

148 posts, read 363,266 times
I have 3 smartphones and 2 flip phones on my plan (Verizon)... and pay about $220 a month. Currently the smartphones are unlimited data plan. I am looking to upgrade my phones and it looks like for 3 smartphones and 2 flip phones, now with a data cap of 4 GB (no more unlimited), I will pay more. I'm not liking that.

I haven't upgraded yet. I eventually will but paying more for less isn't something I really want to do.

It seems that all plans I looked at are basically around the same price it seems... at least the ones that are more reliable in this area.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:24 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,961,991 times
ting.com has much better rates and no addons and no contracts, but you have to pay the full cost of the phone.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:32 AM

345 posts, read 725,934 times
It wasn't too long ago I used to pay about 70 to 80$ for 1500min and pay for text and data. Looks like these days service providers are forcing everyone to use smartphones, seems ridiculous, especially for people who don't use much data and texting. Phone service prices, gas prices etc have gone up drastically, not sure how people with grown up kids and single salary managing these expenses.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:58 AM

642 posts, read 990,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkn006 View Post
It wasn't too long ago I used to pay about 70 to 80$ for 1500min and pay for text and data. Looks like these days service providers are forcing everyone to use smartphones, seems ridiculous, especially for people who don't use much data and texting. Phone service prices, gas prices etc have gone up drastically, not sure how people with grown up kids and single salary managing these expenses.
Carriers are not forcing you to a smart phone although it might seem that way. The fact is that the dataplan is still an add on and the carriers enforce this with all smart phones. You do have some options left though.

Use a feature phone that does most of what a smartphone does but use the features in a dumb way that uses minimal or no data. Feature phones do mosty not require a dataplan. Those that do not have a full keyboard fall into this category. This makes them a LOT cheaper than a true smartphone.

Obviously if you can manage without the smartphone features then you can cut down a lot on your monthly costs. Carrier websites are pushing smartphones and the new shared everything plans because they make more money by hiding the lower cost, more traditional plans.

I have found that whilst the smaller sub-carriers (those that resell megabytes and minutes from the larger networks) are indeed cheaper they usually have their own set of problems. Personally I would stick with one of the major carriers and try to find a usable compromise that works for you.

It's not a rip-off, it's just marketing .

Old 09-29-2012, 01:25 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,058,295 times
I have three on Sprint. Unlimited everything $195. For some reason I have to pay an extra $10 per phone because they are smartphones. Thank goodness I have a two different discounts. One of them is 25 percent off because I work for CMS and the other is a credit union discournt.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:26 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,428,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Hmm. I have a regular mobile phone, no data at all. $23.99/month. I sill think I'm paying too much. Sprint.
Right on my wife and I have two flip phones, no data, no text and we pay $65 a month after taxes and fees. Can not see paying so much money a month for a smartphone.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:02 PM

224 posts, read 626,710 times
I have Verizon & a couple of my coworkers have AT&T. They are all planning to get different carriers when their contracts are up because AT&T coverage is terrible Uptown. I can sit at my desk & use my phone in any way while they have to go to a specific spot by a certain window just to receive a text.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte