U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2007, 06:16 PM

755 posts, read 2,245,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
I think there are some states that won't let you pass on the right.
That's because it's dangerous. I once saw a SCARY near-miss when someone was forced to pass on the right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I love riding the left lane doing the speed limit.
I will get the occasional bumper rider behind me and I just wave and some reason you always seem to point up but I will wave again and smile.
If your such in a hurry leave earlier.
Sunny, my driver's ed instructor taught me that I shouldn't be in the left hand lane unless I'm passing someone. If you're not passing someone as you're "doing the speed limit" in the left hand lane, then you're displaying poor driving habits and you could cause an accident.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:20 PM

396 posts, read 1,305,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Sunny, you know I love ya, and in theory I totally understand what you are saying - but, and somebody correct me if I am wrong, didn't we all learn way back in drivers ed that the far left lane is the "passing" lane and that you are not supposed to travel in it for mile after mile, even if you are doing the speed limit? In other words, we are all supposed to use the left lane for passing slower cars then get back over to the middle or right (of course this doesn't apply in bumper to bumper rush hour traffic), but NO LONG TERM TRAVELING IN THE PASSING LANE. Again, if I am wrong or this has changed someone correct me.
Loves, I think this is custom, and not law. I've seen signs that say slower traffic stay right, but no signs that say law-breakers stay left.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:26 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,611,405 times
This isnt limited to highway riding this also includes roads like Tyvola, Harris Blvd, Tryon etc.

Quote:
If you increase speed and to a passing vehicle, you will be charged with a misdemeanor if a crash occurs resulting in bodily injury or property damage.
NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Driver Handbook: Chapter 4

only place that I knowingly know that there is signs to keep right is in the mountains usually up or down a graded road.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3johnsons View Post
Loves, I think this is custom, and not law. I've seen signs that say slower traffic stay right, but no signs that say law-breakers stay left.
Whether it's law or not is irrelevant. If it is a custom which virtually every other driver on the road follows, to not follow it is a dangerous practice.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:38 PM

4,299 posts, read 13,645,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesneygirl1180 View Post
After living in Charlotte for two years now, I have come to the conclusion that you take your life in your hands just by getting onto the roads! I really am shocked that I haven't had a wreck here yet. I used to get a headache just by being out on the roadways in my native Northern NJ, but I find that it's just as bad here! I live in the University City area... So, I am curious to hear some others' rants about the driving here. Here are mine:

1. People who run red lights. This freaks me out the most, I believe. I literally see it all the time, every day. The lights here are somewhat long and everyone is always in a hurry, so everyone rushes through the yellow lights and continue doing so even after they've turned red. One time I was at the corner of WT Harris and Sugar Creek, waiting on the left turn arrow to turn left onto Harris, and about 1 second after our light turned green, a huge tractor trailer blazed through the light (going straight on Harris). Thank goodness no one had started to make that turn, they would've been killed!! That is just one example, though, I see it constantly. I have started to pause about 1 second before going on green now, that's how bad it's gotten.

2. People who jump out in front of you when you are approaching them at 55-60 MPH. I live on Harris where the speed limit is 55 so I see people (myself included) CONSTANTLY having to slam on brakes because someone sees you coming and can't wait 2 seconds until you have gone by, so they pull out in front of you doing 15 MPH, so you have to jam on the brakes. I have had countless instances where I see someone way ahead trying to turn onto Harris from a side road, and they have plenty of time to pull out because I am pretty far off, but they sit and wait, and wait, until I am about to pass by their side street, and THEN they pull out right in front of me, forcing me to brake. Why, oh why!?

3. No one seems to use freaking turn signals..!? It is SO inconsiderate not to mention dangerous at times. I see it a great deal when changing lanes, no one signals. People slow down to make turns on local roads and dont signal either, so you are wondering if you can go, if they are turning, stopping, what the story is...

4. Tailgating. This was a northern signature move, quite common, but here it's INSANE. Even when in the right lane (which I try to stay in) people will ride my bumper, makes me so mad!

5. Cutting in front of you even if there is very little room between you and the car in front of you. No regard for closely cutting you off.

6. Here's the other weird thing - no one uses their horn. I agree with Southern hospitality, I try to put it into practice all the time, however, if a light turns green, and the first car in line doesn't move, are we supposed to sit there all day? I have literally sat through lights going from green, to yellow, to red, simply because people in front of me wouldn't beep at the first person in line who wasn't paying attention to the light. A short honk after giving them a few seconds grace period doesn't hurt!

I feel better now, getting that off my chest Overall (and this is just my opinion, of course) I believe that the negatives outweigh the positives here in Charlotte. I moved here to try to find a more laid back, less stressful way of life, but I really haven't found it. The crime is bad too. Granted, it's a big city but still, the crime is bad. Just about a week ago, a 35 yr old lady was kidnapped from a grocery store parking lot around the corner from where I live, taken somewhere and raped! At 9pm!! I am afraid to even go out to grab something from the grocery store now! And going out alone at night, forget it... I still do, sometimes, but I definitely am scared. I think what many northerners don't realize is that everyone from up there is now here, so what they are looking to get away from simply comes with them. And lower costs? Sure... for now. As more people come in, demand goes up, prices go up. Simple economics. I lived in Chattanooga, TN for four years, doing my undergrad degree, and that was an awesome place to live. No traffic, friendly Southern people, laid back, beautiful, and cheap. If I hadn't have met my very serious boyfriend here (who is a Kannapolis native, funny enough, they are rare), I would soo be outta here (and probably on my way back to TN).

Oh gosh you aren't kidding..........People that stop on the freeway and don't know how to merge. I just want to rip my hair out, when I see that.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:42 PM

2,998 posts, read 4,702,497 times
Its getting just california folks.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:48 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,888,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
Whether it's law or not is irrelevant. If it is a custom which virtually every other driver on the road follows, to not follow it is a dangerous practice.
In North Carolina, Florida and California, people pass on the right all the time. You just need to check all lanes when you are planning to change lanes. I think it is a much better practice than riding someones bumper trying to get them to get out of your way. There is another lane over there, learn to use it.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:52 PM

396 posts, read 1,305,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
In North Carolina, Florida and California, people pass on the right all the time. You just need to check all lanes when you are planning to change lanes. I think it is a much better practice than riding someones bumper trying to get them to get out of your way. There is another lane over there, learn to use it.
Or better yet, just STOP SPEEDING!!!! If you don't like me going 55 when the speed limit is 55, then too bad. NC Native, although I quoted you, that was not directed at you.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:59 PM

235 posts, read 665,771 times
[Tailgating. This was a northern signature move, quite common, but here it's INSANE. Even when in the right lane (which I try to stay in) people will ride my bumper, makes me so mad!

This one makes me crazy as well, the fines here are so hefty for speeding I know I don't want a ticket and when it says 35 I am doing 35....I always say to myself why don't they just go around they can speed and get the ticket!!
Sometimes I brake on purpose to get them off my bumper....hate the tailgating!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or