U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2008, 07:16 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,710,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesneygirl1180 View Post
After living in Charlotte for two years now, I have come to the conclusion that you take your life in your hands just by getting onto the roads! I really am shocked that I haven't had a wreck here yet. I used to get a headache just by being out on the roadways in my native Northern NJ, but I find that it's just as bad here! I live in the University City area... So, I am curious to hear some others' rants about the driving here. Here are mine:

1. People who run red lights. This freaks me out the most, I believe. I literally see it all the time, every day. The lights here are somewhat long and everyone is always in a hurry, so everyone rushes through the yellow lights and continue doing so even after they've turned red. One time I was at the corner of WT Harris and Sugar Creek, waiting on the left turn arrow to turn left onto Harris, and about 1 second after our light turned green, a huge tractor trailer blazed through the light (going straight on Harris). Thank goodness no one had started to make that turn, they would've
killed!! That is just one example, though, I see it constantly. I have started to pause about 1 second before going on green now, that's how bad it's gotten.

2. People who jump out in front of you when you are approaching them at 55-60 MPH. I live on Harris where the speed limit is 55 so I see people (myself included) CONSTANTLY having to slam on brakes because someone sees you coming and can't wait 2 seconds until you have gone by, so they pull out in front of you doing 15 MPH, so you have to jam on the brakes. I have had countless instances where I see someone way ahead trying to turn onto Harris from a side road, and they have plenty of time to pull out because I am pretty far off, but they sit and wait, and wait, until I am about to pass by their side street, and THEN they pull out right in front of me, forcing me to brake. Why, oh why!?

3. No one seems to use freaking turn signals..!? It is SO inconsiderate not to mention dangerous at times. I see it a great deal when changing lanes, no one signals. People slow down to make turns on local roads and dont signal either, so you are wondering if you can go, if they are turning, stopping, what the story is...

4. Tailgating. This was a northern signature move, quite common, but here it's INSANE. Even when in the right lane (which I try to stay in) people will ride my bumper, makes me so mad!

5. Cutting in front of you even if there is very little room between you and the car in front of you. No regard for closely cutting you off.

6. Here's the other weird thing - no one uses their horn. I agree with Southern hospitality, I try to put it into practice all the time, however, if a light turns green, and the first car in line doesn't move, are we supposed to sit there all day? I have literally sat through lights going from green, to yellow, to red, simply because people in front of me wouldn't beep at the first person in line who wasn't paying attention to the light. A short honk after giving them a few seconds grace period doesn't hurt!

I feel better now, getting that off my chest Overall (and this is just my opinion, of course) I believe that the negatives outweigh the positives here in Charlotte. I moved here to try to find a more laid back, less stressful way of life, but I really haven't found it. The crime is bad too. Granted, it's a big city but still, the crime is bad. Just about a week ago, a 35 yr old lady was kidnapped from a grocery store parking lot around the corner from where I live, taken somewhere and raped! At 9pm!! I am afraid to even go out to grab something from the grocery store now! And going out alone at night, forget it... I still do, sometimes, but I definitely am scared. I think what many northerners don't realize is that everyone from up there is now here, so what they are looking to get away from simply comes with them. And lower costs? Sure... for now. As more people come in, demand goes up, prices go up. Simple economics. I lived in Chattanooga, TN for four years, doing my undergrad degree, and that was an awesome place to live. No traffic, friendly Southern people, laid back, beautiful, and cheap. If I hadn't have met my very serious boyfriend here (who is a Kannapolis native, funny enough, they are rare), I would soo be outta here (and probably on my way back to TN).
I agree with you totally. But, being in the south has nothing to do with it mostly since about half of the citizens are not from the area. People stopped blowing horns in the 60s as way too many people were getting shot for doing so. Seems that instead of the horn being a means of allerting someone that the light had changed, etc., it was a challenge to a confrontation. Poor driving is a national epidemic. I travel extensively. I have not been any place where drivers are generally good. They all suck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 08:40 AM

246 posts, read 502,236 times
I'll tell you what irks me:

Every day, I make the 8-mile drive from my home to my office off of Harris. I always take the back way (down David Taylor Dr) so as to avoid as much traffic as possible. Every day, I am inevitably cut off or tailgated by some bat-out-of-hades driving fool. By now I've learned to just let it go. You know what's interesting?

9 times out of 10 that crazy driver is turning into TIAA-CREF. I don't know what that organization does to its people, but every one that I have come across while driving is absolutely horrid. It has really lowered my opinion of that organization.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL91 View Post
Well good to get it all out of your system. I want to comment on a few things. 1) the tailgating issue. I'm known for that. Especially at night because the way I see it is if your in the fast lane you should be going 20MPH slower than everyone else. At night i will turn my brights on. They will move. That's the Philly coming out in me though. Also, I am quick to lay down on the horn. I don't have time to sit behind someone all day because they are out for a little cruise around town.

I am southern, I do the same. Must be the "old" Charlotte coming out in me as well. Keep doing what you are doing. Might want to make sure that the person in front isn't some wacked out nutcase though if possible.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:17 AM

I love roundabouts. They suit all purposes to a tee. There needs to be some public service announcements on how to approach them and who has the right of way. The city of Clearwater, Florida spent millions on a roundabout at the point where Highway 60 runs into Clearwater Beach. It was fun watching people go around it. It finally had to be taken down because it couldn't be figured out. and it was a hazard. Of course, most of the people that used it were very old people from NY and NJ that also couldn't figure out the chads during the election that time.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:17 AM

4,093 posts, read 10,148,443 times
You know what irks me?

The over politeness of some folks around here!

Going from 2 lanes on Providence, down to 1 lane just past the 485......People are SOOOO overly polite that they just let eveyone in and meanwhile the 40 cars behind them have to wait and wait!

And then, you get to the Harris Teeter and again, those polite southerners will STOP and let everyone coming out of HT out, again slowing down the flow of traffic behind them and causing everyone else to wait.

Part of this is meant to be tongue in cheek, but there is a point where I think people can polite to some and at the same time not realize they are being rude to others.

Dawn

Old 09-23-2008, 12:23 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,668,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
You know what irks me?

Going from 2 lanes on Providence, down to 1 lane just past the 485......People are SOOOO overly polite that they just let eveyone in and meanwhile the 40 cars behind them have to wait and wait!

And then, you get to the Harris Teeter and again, those polite southerners will STOP and let everyone coming out of HT out, again slowing down the flow of traffic behind them and causing everyone else to wait.

Part of this is meant to be tongue in cheek, but there is a point where I think people can polite to some and at the same time not realize they are being rude to others.

Dawn
Dawn - My "politeness" will extend to one or two cars and that's it! If there are that many people waiting to get out of a lot, then they need to put a traffic light in.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
You know what irks me?

Dawn
They should shoot every one of those polite bast@rds! They are a menace to society.

Last edited by vindaloo; 09-23-2008 at 01:05 PM..

Old 09-23-2008, 01:03 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,475,137 times
Quote:
You know what irks me?

Dawn
Pedestrians have the right of way on those pedestrian street side walks ....its the law

Old 09-23-2008, 01:26 PM

3,322 posts, read 4,533,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBGNCSU05 View Post
I'll tell you what irks me:

Every day, I make the 8-mile drive from my home to my office off of Harris. I always take the back way (down David Taylor Dr) so as to avoid as much traffic as possible. Every day, I am inevitably cut off or tailgated by some bat-out-of-hades driving fool. By now I've learned to just let it go. You know what's interesting?

9 times out of 10 that crazy driver is turning into TIAA-CREF. I don't know what that organization does to its people, but every one that I have come across while driving is absolutely horrid. It has really lowered my opinion of that organization.

I work at TIAA-CREF and I actually agree with you regarding some of my fellow employees driving skills. You should see how they drive in the darn parking deck. Unbelievable. On one occasion, I have left a note and on another occasion I went face to face with the person as they were walking in.

You have to understand that most of these people are rushing to get in on time so they don't miss the breakfast buffet which ends at 9:30. These people don't actually start working until after 10am and they are the first ones out the door at 5pm.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:47 PM

17 posts, read 51,770 times
Amen on the merging!!!! Here "merge" means "stop!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or