U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 10:38 AM

3,902 posts, read 4,619,140 times

Advertisements

I've been in SC/NC for just over a year, having moved from NoNJ. This weekend I flew up to spend time in NoNJ with some friends. I was all set to complain about NC drivers when I realized that NoNJ do all the same things NC drivers do - it is NO DIFFERENT. in fact, I was a passenger in my friend's car at some point this weekend and he did nearly everything on your list. Except he DID honk his horn several times while driving through Manhattan.

So I'm of the mind that BAD DRIVERS ARE EVERYWHERE. Not just in whatever new location you find yourself. I think the thing to remember is that one gets used to the bad drivers in one area (for instance, in NoNJ I noticed this weekend that there were a LOT of "traffic weavers") so when you move to another area that might have concentration of a *different kind* of bad driver (tailgaters), it makes it seem like that area is so much worse, when in fact, it's just the percentages of each kind of bad driver that are different.

Am I making sense or have I totally confused everyone? *lol*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 10:40 AM

396 posts, read 1,303,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
I've been in SC/NC for just over a year, having moved from NoNJ. This weekend I flew up to spend time in NoNJ with some friends. I was all set to complain about NC drivers when I realized that NoNJ do all the same things NC drivers do - it is NO DIFFERENT. in fact, I was a passenger in my friend's car at some point this weekend and he did nearly everything on your list. Except he DID honk his horn several times while driving through Manhattan.

So I'm of the mind that BAD DRIVERS ARE EVERYWHERE. Not just in whatever new location you find yourself. I think the thing to remember is that one gets used to the bad drivers in one area (for instance, in NoNJ I noticed this weekend that there were a LOT of "traffic weavers") so when you move to another area that might have concentration of a *different kind* of bad driver (tailgaters), it makes it seem like that area is so much worse, when in fact, it's just the percentages of each kind of bad driver that are different.

Am I making sense or have I totally confused everyone? *lol*
No, i think you made perfect sense!

Old 10-08-2007, 11:01 AM

575 posts, read 1,349,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothis View Post
Just because you have a North Carolina plate, does not imply you have been here forever, LOL....Don't let that plate fool ya.
I know I have NC now but 99.9 % have been here a while

Old 10-08-2007, 03:36 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,710,745 times
Gotta tell ya, Charlotte sounds like any other large city. Lets face it, it doesn't matter from where you come, Americans are total road infidels (just made that up).

Old 10-08-2007, 04:32 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,452,785 times
Things that don't help matters:-
>The driving test over here is set-up for allowing people pass, rather than for getting a true reflection of their understanding of the laws of the road, exmple: my test lasted approx 4 minutes. My road test in Europe lasted 40 mins. The obvious reason for this is that the police don't have the resources for this - just privatize it and the person taking the test pays a set test fee (or the money saved by reducing the role of the DMV could partially pay for testing).

>People refer to the lanes as 'fast' or 'slow'. It shouldn't be open for interpretation. How about calling the 'fast' lane the 'passing' lane and the only time that you are allowed in it is when you are in the process of passing someone.

>Police apathy. I've never heard of anyone ticketed for cruising in the 'passing' lane, tailgating or running red-lights......I've sat next to cops at a red-light, seen someone blatantly run the light, I look at the cop to make sure that they saw it, but then no action is taken. Apathy just creates repeat offenders and all of the aggravations listed in this thread should be handled in a more severe way by the police.
(Harris & N Tryon has to be the worst intersection for red-light running, BTW)

My two cents.....

Old 10-08-2007, 05:55 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,304,227 times
In re to number 5: Driving down I-277 the night of Van Halen. A car in front of me, about 4-5 car lengths & absolutely no one behind me. Speed: about 45 miles per hour. A FREAKING State Trooper pulls in between us (exactly 2 flashes of his turn signals). Of course, this irritates me, so what do I do? Flash the lights! (I know, I know- not the brightest thing Ive ever done). Anyone care to guess what happens?? I get a ticket for following to close!!! Arent these jokers supposed to be role models?? Does a badge automatically give you the right to disregard the law, regardless of the circumstances?? Anyone know a good traffic defense lawyer??

Old 10-08-2007, 06:43 PM

673 posts, read 2,434,469 times
Nobody mentioned yet the 2-lane curvy, hilly, narrow roads with no median in between them. I am so worried I am going to get in a head on collision one day, especially at night when the roads are pitch black. The main road near my house is like a roller coaster, and you can't see cars coming until they are on top of you. Even in the daytime, I have had people almost run me off the road in my lane, because they were riding the middle. Last week I got a flat tire because of this - a truck didn't move over, and I had to move to the shoulder where I ripped a whole in my tire.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:04 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,765,382 times
I hate when I am the only car driving along the road and someone turns right out of a side street quickly to get in fron of me. Not only does it bother me that they could have waited two seconds but they ALWAYS go slow in front of me. It doesnt make sense to me to be in a big hurry to slow down.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 4,453 times
Angry Charlottinian drivers--this is not a raceway!!

Driving at all here scares me to death. Nearly literally--the first week I was the only visible vehicle and someone turned onto the road in front of me. They should have waited longer to avoid clipping my front end. Since there is a speedway here, most drivers think they have to be ahead of everyone else. The strange thing is when I slow to let people pass me: rather than pass, some just honk their horns. Tailgating is second only to speeding. These activities are enhanced and made even more frightening by the insane road naming system here. It is pretty hard to follow directions if you are new here; when all the roads have the same name, or dirivitives of the same word. Is Mallard the only word you folks know? When I am looking for a specific place it is also annoying that so many things are no visible from the road, but dropped down in behind something else.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:43 PM

3,902 posts, read 4,619,140 times
Cavega1 - as I said in my prior post, Charlotte isn't the only place where tailgating and speeding happen. It happened when I lived in NoNJ, and it also happened when I lived in the DC metro area. So don't blame the bad driving on LOCATION.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or