U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 12:57 PM

185 posts, read 534,942 times

Advertisements

The one thing more dangerous than the narrow roads are the narrow minds !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 01:06 PM

241 posts, read 681,855 times
Um, have you driven in RI, CT, or MA? Charlotte pales in comparison to those areas. I-95 in RI is like "bumper cars" at your local amusement park. To give you an idea, the cars in the slow moving vehicle lanes go above the speed limit! Trust me, Charlotte can be a challenge, but my blood pressure has dropped since my relocation.. You guys have it good here; real good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavega1 View Post
Driving at all here scares me to death. Nearly literally--the first week I was the only visible vehicle and someone turned onto the road in front of me. They should have waited longer to avoid clipping my front end. Since there is a speedway here, most drivers think they have to be ahead of everyone else. The strange thing is when I slow to let people pass me: rather than pass, some just honk their horns. Tailgating is second only to speeding. These activities are enhanced and made even more frightening by the insane road naming system here. It is pretty hard to follow directions if you are new here; when all the roads have the same name, or dirivitives of the same word. Is Mallard the only word you folks know? When I am looking for a specific place it is also annoying that so many things are no visible from the road, but dropped down in behind something else.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:28 PM

153 posts, read 432,390 times
I LOVE your name, chesneygirl1180!

Answer to post: I guess I can sum it up with one word -- ATTITUDES.

I wish every driver would have a better, more respectful attitude. If those who drive recklessly or pay more attention to their cell phones than their driving would have more respect for their own lives and the lives of those around them, and if those who are transgressed upon would have a better attitude and not go into road rage/revenge mode, the roads would be safe for all. (I could use the same argument for these boards, too! LOL!) Let's all try to be careful, safe, and respectful!

Old 10-09-2007, 04:50 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,726,281 times
Girl, if it happened in New York or New Jersey it is bound to happen to Charlotte, 25% of the city comes from that area.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:01 AM

245 posts, read 197,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
You pretty-much covered it but I'll add a couple:

7-People don't know how to handle four-way stops. If you're at a four-way stop and I'm approaching it, you DON'T have to wait for me to get there before you go.
But the reason I think for the delay is because no-one uses turn signals and your not sure what the next move is going to be. Its like a stutter!

Old 10-10-2007, 06:39 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,534,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Girl, if it happened in New York or New Jersey it is bound to happen to Charlotte, 25% of the city comes from that area.
Is it really only 25%?????

Old 10-10-2007, 06:41 AM

8 posts, read 20,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavega1 View Post
Driving at all here scares me to death. Nearly literally--the first week I was the only visible vehicle and someone turned onto the road in front of me. They should have waited longer to avoid clipping my front end. Since there is a speedway here, most drivers think they have to be ahead of everyone else. The strange thing is when I slow to let people pass me: rather than pass, some just honk their horns. Tailgating is second only to speeding. These activities are enhanced and made even more frightening by the insane road naming system here. It is pretty hard to follow directions if you are new here; when all the roads have the same name, or dirivitives of the same word. Is Mallard the only word you folks know? When I am looking for a specific place it is also annoying that so many things are no visible from the road, but dropped down in behind something else.
Yes, Mallard is the only word "us folks" know.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:51 AM

755 posts, read 2,245,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKNArea View Post
But the reason I think for the delay is because no-one uses turn signals and your not sure what the next move is going to be. Its like a stutter!
That makes absolutely no difference at a four-way stop. You stop. You go when it's your turn. If there's no one else at the intersection, you stop and then you go. It's really very simple.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:52 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,534,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ima49er View Post
Yes, Mallard is the only word "us folks" know.
That's you folks up on the north end. Here in the south end the only word we know is "Sharon"

Old 10-10-2007, 06:54 AM

245 posts, read 197,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
That makes absolutely no difference at a four-way stop. You stop. You go when it's your turn. If there's no one else at the intersection, you stop and then you go. It's really very simple.
They should just put round-a-bouts in anywho... Traffic Circles.

Reason for the road names have to do with the farmers that owned the land before. I'll see if I can find the link for the reason behind all the Sharon's in South Charlotte has something to do with the Church I believe

Link:

Street Stories: Secrets and legends behind Charlotte's long and winding roads:

Last edited by LKNArea; 10-10-2007 at 07:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or