U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2007, 10:16 PM

2,227 posts, read 7,539,647 times

Advertisements

"I don't want to be around people who blow their horns at the drop of a hat. That is so low class."

stay out of orlando then. it is an absolute mess driving in orlando
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 11:03 PM

92 posts, read 287,021 times
Tailgaters are an awful breed. I do 5-10 over speed limits and still have dummies crawling up my tailpipe. I don't care if I was 90 yrs old and doing 40 on the interstate. What is the point of tailgating besides saying I'm a bully.

People that cut off tractor-trailers. Big truck doesn't equal big brakes. Big truck and ignorant car driver equals accident.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:23 PM

92 posts, read 287,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Groove, I have heard this is common is bigger cities with carjacking problems. People now do this to leave themselves an "escape route" in case someone approaches their car while they are stopped.
Also, in addition to leaving room. Always lock your doors. Most come with an auto lock now but if your car doesn't, just get in the habit. If a carjacker can't open your door, they can't get their hands on you.

Also, I personally never try to be caught in the middle lane(s) of a more than a 2 lane highway. I usually ride the right lane unless I have to be in the left for an upcoming turn or exit. But the outer lanes give me an out void of traffic for accidents or car jacking at red lights...etc...this way has helped me out once in my life.

I was in the left lane at a light and a guy walked up on me and tugged on my door and even though it was locked, I just nailed it and went into the median and had to wait to break into oncoming traffic but he ran away. Screw him...I was smarter than him that day. I just hate thinking what could have happened had my doors not been locked.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:47 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,841,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
In a round about sort of way I get what you're saying, but in NO WAY is it safer to try and put your car in neutral and then rev it, first of all, that is just dangerous and you could accidently do things wrong here and wind up causing an accident and second of all the person in front of you will still probably not get the hint. If a car as been stopped for 1.5 minutes at a light, why would they think getting a little tap of the horn would be something that is alerting them to danger?...they were not moving in the first place. If someone is going to try and kill you because of a little tap on your horn, then they are a ticking time bomb and obviously they don't care for human life in the first place and are just waiting for the next person to pi$$ them off in anyway. Could be the clerk at the grocery store who was not fast enough, or a co-worker who was late on a report making them look bad, etc, etc.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this subject.
I can see you haven't been on West Blvd. in Charlotte. Actually, I just wait patiently. In my opinion, shooting a person, or crashing into them are the only two things worse than blowing a horn at them. It is noise pollution for everyone in the area. I am a very peace loving person and horns just ruin a peaceful trip. Sort of like a back seat driver and since they are not in the car talking to you, you never know exactly why they have blown the horn. I think it is a form of road anger or bullying and I dislike both of them.

I saw a very dangerous trend on I-485 and I-85 this weekend. We were in the far right lane most of the way from Highway 16 to Highway 321 and several times cars would come up behind other cars, leaving no space for stopping and just ride the bumper of the car in front of them. It wasn't that the cars they were tailgating were just riding in the left lane, they had pulled out to pass at the safe speed limit. I know they were at least doing the speed limit, because we were doing the speed limit and they were going faster than we were. The question comes to mind, "Where's the fire!" I don't think so many cars need to be somewhere, I think it is a very bad and dangerous habit. Yes, driving in the Charlotte area and other places can be very scary. However, I noticed it more in the Charlotte area than the other areas on our little trip. Some of the drivers in the other towns we passed through were just absolutely courteous, letting people in and leaving space between cars. Maybe the people in the mountains are just more intelligent.

Last edited by NCN; 10-21-2007 at 11:02 PM..

Old 11-14-2007, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,176 times
Default Way too slow down here

I have lived here for about 2 years(yes, another northern transplant) and my number 1 complaint is that there are some very slow drivers in the Charlotte area. I have to drive I85 and I77 during my daily commute. Not a drive goes by without seeing multiple people driving 15+ under the speed limit with no one in front of them. Does not matter which lane they are in, not uncommon to see some idiot in the left lane doing 45 in a 65 zone. Every evening on I85N the highway comes to a stop for no reason; after many miles of stop and go traffic usually you see people trying to get by some idiot driving 35(literally, no exaggeration) in, you guessed it, a 65 MPH zone. About a month ago I even had some guy in a truck merge onto the interstate doing the speed limit and as soon as he got onto the highway started braking and decided to drive 10 under, there was no one in front of or behind me for at least 1/8th of a mile so there was no reason except to be an *****hole. The side roads are not any better, at least not in Kannapolis. It seems that about half maintain a constant 10 miles under the speed limit. I have driven a significant amount of time driving in most of the major cities on the east coast and living in and around DC, Baltimore and New York, and can honestly say I have never seen a city where there are this many people driving well under the speed limit. Me and my girlfriend often have people come in to visit from out of town and no matter where the are from, they all make a comment that people drive slow around here.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:02 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncjuggalo View Post
I have lived here for about 2 years(yes, another northern transplant) and my number 1 complaint is that there are some very slow drivers in the Charlotte area. I have to drive I85 and I77 during my daily commute. Not a drive goes by without seeing multiple people driving 15+ under the speed limit with no one in front of them. Does not matter which lane they are in, not uncommon to see some idiot in the left lane doing 45 in a 65 zone. Every evening on I85N the highway comes to a stop for no reason; after many miles of stop and go traffic usually you see people trying to get by some idiot driving 35(literally, no exaggeration) in, you guessed it, a 65 MPH zone. About a month ago I even had some guy in a truck merge onto the interstate doing the speed limit and as soon as he got onto the highway started braking and decided to drive 10 under, there was no one in front of or behind me for at least 1/8th of a mile so there was no reason except to be an *****hole. The side roads are not any better, at least not in Kannapolis. It seems that about half maintain a constant 10 miles under the speed limit. I have driven a significant amount of time driving in most of the major cities on the east coast and living in and around DC, Baltimore and New York, and can honestly say I have never seen a city where there are this many people driving well under the speed limit. Me and my girlfriend often have people come in to visit from out of town and no matter where the are from, they all make a comment that people drive slow around here.
Maybe they all remember that old ad campaign - SPEED KILLS

Old 11-14-2007, 03:03 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,771,335 times
NC, my experience is most people around Charlotte drive 20 miles over the limit, 30 if they are in a pick up truck.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:39 PM

7,183 posts, read 11,206,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyn2shoes View Post
What is the point of tailgating besides saying I'm a bully.
As a road warrior with lots of miles driven, I find myself tailgating at times just to bother the slowpoke ahead of me into moving over to the right lane and stop impeding the flow.

Yes, I am wrong for tailgating, just as much as they're wrong for blocking the lane (albeit deliberately or naively).

That being said, I consider myself to be a very focused driver. I always watch the flow of traffic in my mirrors and through the cars in front of me. I usually observe the traffic laws and yield to other drivers when it is normal or out of courtesy. You know, it's kind of funny that when I'm "working on" the guy in front of me, I'm usually more in tune to the road than he is and I'm more prepared for panic stops or unexpected happenstances.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:39 PM

3,662 posts, read 8,672,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post

That being said, I consider myself to be a very focused driver. I always watch the flow of traffic in my mirrors and through the cars in front of me. I usually observe the traffic laws and yield to other drivers when it is normal or out of courtesy. You know, it's kind of funny that when I'm "working on" the guy in front of me, I'm usually more in tune to the road than he is and I'm more prepared for panic stops or unexpected happenstances.
You summed up this issue wonderfully and got a rep from me! I could elaborate, but think you said everything necessary. Excellent post and I share your sentiment!

Old 11-15-2007, 06:55 AM

23 posts, read 61,059 times
Default "Here's your sign!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
In re to number 5: Driving down I-277 the night of Van Halen. A car in front of me, about 4-5 car lengths & absolutely no one behind me. Speed: about 45 miles per hour. A FREAKING State Trooper pulls in between us (exactly 2 flashes of his turn signals). Of course, this irritates me, so what do I do? Flash the lights! (I know, I know- not the brightest thing Ive ever done). Anyone care to guess what happens?? I get a ticket for following to close!!! Arent these jokers supposed to be role models?? Does a badge automatically give you the right to disregard the law, regardless of the circumstances?? Anyone know a good traffic defense lawyer??
hahahaha.....wait, I'm still drying my eyes from laughing at this one. I can't believe nobody has commented on this after 6 or so pages! Let me get this straight, you flashed your high beams at a STATE TROOPER after he merged in front of you? (regardless of how closely) Please tell me it was an unmarked car and you didn't know... please say you forgot to mention that! LOLOLOL I wouldn't get my hopes up on having that one pleaded down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or