Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2015, 07:16 AM

343 posts, read 686,066 times

Advertisements

If I happen to be driving in the left lane and someone comes up behind me moving at a faster pace, I move over to the right to let them pass. But what irks me is they don't give me a chance to move over sometimes. They try to pass me in the right lane as I'm, doing the right thing, moving into the right lane. Then they toot at me as though I cut them off.
At least stay in the left lane and give me a chance to move out of your way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 05:48 PM

17 posts, read 35,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unthought_known View Post
When I drive from Charlotte to NY, there are plenty of times that I see a sign that says "Slower traffic keep right". If slower drivers are supposed to be in the right lane, then what does that make the left lane?

The speed limit is the same in each lane, but it's commonly accepted that drivers should not be moving into the left lane to drive slower than the flow of traffic.
Slower traffic means people going slower than the speed limit. The definition being the fastest you can go not the bottom. This is the confusion people have. If the speed limit is 65, it's not "legal" to go 75 in the left lane. That's why it says that.

That being said, Charlotte has hardly the worst drivers in the world. Oh don't get me wrong, it's bad but coming from living in NYC the last 11-years, Charlotte isn't near as bad. I will say most people are far too under aggressive here. Some people need to grow a pair and go instead of waiting for the exact perfect alignment of the sun and stars to pull out. Also, parking lots are apparently kryptonite too many drivers here. I don't know what many people would do if they had to park in the miniature spots in queens and Brooklyn because the can't traverse the easy spots here.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:14 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,240,080 times
Is driving at night with no headlights some sort of trend now?

Turn. Your. @#$%^&*. Lights. On. When. Driving. At. Night.

I don't get it, this is not only the law, it is common sense!

Old 07-16-2015, 05:23 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,815,129 times
So I got into a small accident a few days ago. Was driving straight and stopped for a red light along with some cars in front of me when someone rear ended me. No biggie. Had zero damage in my car but his was moderate.

What the biggie was the guy came out of his car yelling his head off about how I slammed on my brakes and made him crash into me. Police arrived as I refused to get out of my car with this lunatic. Police listened to him, me and all the witnesses that stayed. Told the guy that he was 100% at fault and that even if I did slam on my brakes, he would still be at fault. Police report filed citing him with the accident.

Idiot called MY insurance company listed on the report and tried to make a claim. Since I already called them and they had the online accident report, they turned him down flat. Today I got a call from his insurance company stating I had to pay for the accident since my insurance company denied him. Um yeah, they denied him because I wasn't at fault. Turned out they didn't know there was a police report filed nor did they know there were several witnesses and that he was cited very clearly with the accident.

Sigh. I hate driving, I really do.

ETA And I am actually incensed that less than 4 hours after the accident, I got inundated with calls from attorneys and body shops soliciting business from me from the accident report! Then my mail had literally 50-60 pieces of mail daily from said companies. WTH? That is scary that my kids names, my name and address/phone number was released like that to the public!

Old 07-17-2015, 08:38 AM

527 posts, read 919,564 times
Too all the folks .. cool down..

I come from Mumbai (Bombay) , India. I drove in Mumbai. Believe me, you.. the driving here is like eating an ice cream in 100 degrees!!! Its easy breezy.

Dirivng out there is like being ina war zone... no lane concept, cows, people even monkeys.. then the bus drivers who will hit you for no reason!!!

So chill out and drive safe!

Old 07-17-2015, 09:27 AM

49 posts, read 66,274 times
The least favorite parts of my commute from Billy Graham Parkway to Concord Mills has to be the entry to 85 Northbound. There's an access from Mulberry Church Rd onto Billy Graham. Drivers merging onto BG are supposed to stop at the posted stop sign..instead, they don't, causing utter chaos getting onto 85 North with the right lane exiting directly onto 85.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:58 AM

398 posts, read 984,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
So I got into a small accident a few days ago. Was driving straight and stopped for a red light along with some cars in front of me when someone rear ended me. No biggie. Had zero damage in my car but his was moderate.

What the biggie was the guy came out of his car yelling his head off about how I slammed on my brakes and made him crash into me. Police arrived as I refused to get out of my car with this lunatic. Police listened to him, me and all the witnesses that stayed. Told the guy that he was 100% at fault and that even if I did slam on my brakes, he would still be at fault. Police report filed citing him with the accident.

Idiot called MY insurance company listed on the report and tried to make a claim. Since I already called them and they had the online accident report, they turned him down flat. Today I got a call from his insurance company stating I had to pay for the accident since my insurance company denied him. Um yeah, they denied him because I wasn't at fault. Turned out they didn't know there was a police report filed nor did they know there were several witnesses and that he was cited very clearly with the accident.

Sigh. I hate driving, I really do.

ETA And I am actually incensed that less than 4 hours after the accident, I got inundated with calls from attorneys and body shops soliciting business from me from the accident report! Then my mail had literally 50-60 pieces of mail daily from said companies. WTH? That is scary that my kids names, my name and address/phone number was released like that to the public!
I had an accident last year - I was going straight and was hit by a lady making a left turn without checking if oncoming traffic was clear. Was told by the cop that NC is a no-fault state so he couldn't cite fault in the report... so if the insurance investigators find even a 1% fault attributable to you, then the other party's insurance company will deny. This is the bull I was fed.

I was bombarded by mails also. Completely painful process from start to finish.

Old 07-17-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djshinodalp View Post
I had an accident last year - I was going straight and was hit by a lady making a left turn without checking if oncoming traffic was clear. Was told by the cop that NC is a no-fault state so he couldn't cite fault in the report... so if the insurance investigators find even a 1% fault attributable to you, then the other party's insurance company will deny. This is the bull I was fed.

I was bombarded by mails also. Completely painful process from start to finish.
Are you sure NC is a no fault state? The police officer clearly noted I was not at fault and cited the other person with the accident verbally and in the report.

Old 07-17-2015, 02:38 PM

ETA I googled it, these are the only states with no fault:

No-Fault States:
Florida
Hawaii
Kansas
Kentucky
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
New Jersey
New York
North Dakota
Pennsylvania
Utah

Read more: Fault and No-Fault Car Accidents: Understanding State Liability Laws
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @FreeAdviceNews on Twitter | freeadvice on Facebook

Old 07-18-2015, 08:53 PM

65 posts, read 71,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA_NC View Post
Too all the folks .. cool down..

I come from Mumbai (Bombay) , India. I drove in Mumbai. Believe me, you.. the driving here is like eating an ice cream in 100 degrees!!! Its easy breezy.

Dirivng out there is like being ina war zone... no lane concept, cows, people even monkeys.. then the bus drivers who will hit you for no reason!!!

So chill out and drive safe!
Lol, good point, all about perspective. I think the thing here is you have a false sense of security, big roads, big cars, nice traffic signals, everything should move smoothly. The scary thing is, it doesn't. There are some downright phenomenally bad drivers here. Speeding 60-70 weaving in and out on a 45mph road...really!? There is no reason to do this, just tone down the aggression a bit :-) Running red lights, tailgating, using mobile phones, doing make up as you drive! Slowing down or stopping to let people in - there's a way to cause a tail end crash right there.

Haven't driven in Mumbai, but Poland, UK, Germany, Spain, Sicily, Rome, London, Sydney and plenty of other places. This is definitely one of the places where I'm always on my guard expecting something to happen. I have two young ones under 1 year....you bet I drive defensive :-)

Oh yeah, I've driven across 32 States on a Harley here......hate riding through Charlotte :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte