U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2012, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,003 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are planning a possible move to Charlotte from Brooklyn. I grew up in San Francisco and my husband in Florida. We have preschool/elementary school aged children so good schools are very important. I know Charlotte has many interesting and desirable neighborhoods - can you recommend ones that are progressive with young-families and not "cookie-cutter" homes? We don't have jobs yet but I assume they'd be centrally located - a relatively short commute is high on our list of wants. I'd like to find a place with a sense of community, close to farmer's markets and maybe some interesting shops. Our price range is around $400K and we certainly do not need a new home. Thanks - we're excited about the prospect and hope to find a pocket of like-minded people. Places to avoid wold be helpful, too. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 03:12 PM

6,272 posts, read 10,036,716 times
Noda, Dilworth, Elizabeth, Plaza Midwood, Wesley Heights, 1st Ward, 4th Ward, Madison Park... Baxter Village in Fort Mill SC could work too.

As you probably already know, nothing in Charlotte will be built up quite like Brooklyn and San Fran. So come with an open mind and a desire for something new and different. If you can do this while finding what suits you best, you'll be fine here.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 10-04-2012 at 03:25 PM..

Old 10-04-2012, 03:38 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,389,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleengine View Post
We don't have jobs yet but I assume they'd be centrally located - a relatively short commute is high on our list of wants.
10% unemployment in the Charlotte metro area. You're not going to be able to be picky unless you have a specific skill that's in demand in the area.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:54 PM

7,109 posts, read 9,746,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleengine View Post
Hi,
We are planning a possible move to Charlotte from Brooklyn. I grew up in San Francisco and my husband in Florida. We have preschool/elementary school aged children so good schools are very important. I know Charlotte has many interesting and desirable neighborhoods - can you recommend ones that are progressive with young-families and not "cookie-cutter" homes? We don't have jobs yet but I assume they'd be centrally located - a relatively short commute is high on our list of wants. I'd like to find a place with a sense of community, close to farmer's markets and maybe some interesting shops. Our price range is around $400K and we certainly do not need a new home. Thanks - we're excited about the prospect and hope to find a pocket of like-minded people. Places to avoid wold be helpful, too. Thanks.

You are my idol!! No job and a 400 grand casa. When I reach that level....why....um....well I arrived!!!

Old 10-04-2012, 10:21 PM

87 posts, read 108,794 times
Moved here from NYC myself. Dilworth sounds the best for you. Of the places listed above, it has historic homes, proximity, and decent schools. Fourth ward has bad schools and no three bedrooms. Dilworth has a few fixer uppers for under 400. Plaza midwood does have that progressive flavor as well, BUT, add private school tuition to the mix.
The CMS school web site will give you the elementary school maps and progress reports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or