Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 07:39 PM

156 posts, read 309,306 times

Advertisements

HI everyone

We are HOPEFULLY relocating to NC next summer. I have visited Charlotte numerous times. We were first set on the Lake Norman/Davidson area but then visited Marvin. I really liked Marvin Creek & Providence Down but wonder if there are other developments that I may be overlooking. We are looking for a larger home...at least 4 bedrooms on a 1/2 acre lot. Need amenities in the subdivision for the kids. Pool, sports courts, etc are a must!! $450-600,000 price point. We prefer Union County. any suggestions??
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 08:29 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,166,732 times
Both good choices. You may also want to consider Kingsmead, Marvin Creek and Canterfield Creek. Depending on what's on the market when you are ready to buy you may be able to think about Firethorne as well.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:52 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
Also look at Weddington Chase, a step above Marvin Creek.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:04 AM

156 posts, read 309,306 times
I REALLY like Weddington Chase. The homes are amazing. My concern with that community is the high voltage power lines. They seem awfully close to the homes...and I think the rec center too if I'm not mistaken???

Old 10-06-2012, 09:03 AM

531 posts, read 1,079,144 times
There are high voltage power lines in ballantyne country club community too That said I would say check out how far are you from those lines.
Weddington chase is good - the things you are looking for, esp rec center, pool are out there. There are meetups scheduled and the community is well maintained. At 600 and bit above you will end up with a Colonade home. Those are built by luxury builders and they work with John Weiland Homes in all their communities. I believe usually those homes are built only a small section of the community. The only issue we did see this summer was that the houses were selling like hotcakes if they were maintained well

Old 10-06-2012, 04:11 PM

430 posts, read 803,972 times
Providence Down South is nice too.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:04 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,166,732 times
Yes agree on Weddington Chase, can't believe I left it out (it was in my head but somehow didn't get to my fingers...)

Old 10-08-2012, 01:27 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Many nice areas in the UC region.
All that have been suggested are very desirable locations in the area.

If school choice is a priority, I would also look at proximity to schools and check neighborhood distances to various schools. This would minimize redistricting opportunities as the economy and home construction crank back up over the next two or three years.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:30 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingLItoNC View Post
I REALLY like Weddington Chase. The homes are amazing. My concern with that community is the high voltage power lines. They seem awfully close to the homes...and I think the rec center too if I'm not mistaken???
The power lines are kind of close (but none is very close to them) only to very few properties, from most homes no power lines are even visible. There are no power lines close to rec centre.

Looks like out of a total of almost 300 homes in WC, at present only one is available (used to be 15 available homes last summer)...

Old 10-09-2012, 11:01 AM

985 posts, read 1,900,869 times
I agree if it is for schools pick carefully as nothing is guaranteed. Currently the Marvin Ridge Middle school is over capacity and they are using one of the trailers for classes.

I have heard although I have not confirmed it that Cuthbertson is not full so there is room there if redistricting is needed.

I would also offer up that the class size at Marvin Ridge is growing at a pretty large rate. Not that this makes the school bad or anything but eventually I think they will have to reduce the number of students there and share the student population more equally among the schools in the area, Weddington, Marvin Ridge and Cuthbertson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte