Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 12:58 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,879,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trademarked View Post

The part that I DO DISAGREE with is that low-income folks get to pay subsidized rent to live in a gorgeous restored mill. Subsidized housing should not be nicer than the average home. In fact, it probably should be worse so that there is some motivation to get off the system instead of becoming a lifer.. I spend a lot of time with people receiving assistance for food, housing, etc.. and most of them squander the money they earn on iphones, flat screens, and use the money that working taxpayers earned to pay their bills. Everyone should get a tour of these lifestyles before election time...
Exactly!! I've had the tour. You are right on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 01:06 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,958,267 times
I don't think Noda has a problem with affordable housing. Walk just a couple of blocks over to neighboring Howie Acres (Dinglewood) and if you survive the trip, you will find plenty of affordable housing.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:15 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,879,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
The title came directly from the source article.

I can't understand why the City would want to provide 'affordable housing' in an area they're trying to rehabilitate.

Affordable housing often means an increase in crime, and an increase in crime will thwart the rehabilitation of the area - in what ought to be a prime location.

If the grant money has to be spent, it could've been put to use toward other needful projects. I think it's absolutely nuts that a developer can assume a property 'as is', and later claim they don't have the funds to finish the project due to unseen damage. Caveat emptor.
Next, you will want prisons to take phones, televisions, and computers out of cells.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:22 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,367,000 times
A private developer should have handled this, unless it is a loan from the federal government. We are trillions in debt and yet the Feds continue to hand out money like we were rolling in cash.

I don't care how worthy the project: subsidized housing means folks on vouchers (underwritten by the Federal gov't, i.e. our tax dollars) are going to be living in it. My mind is just boggled by the attitude that has seeped into our city government (all over this USA). Yes, we all need affordable housing, but here we are giving out vouchers . . . PLUS making sure they have nice accommodations. THe private sector could be providing the rentals, just like ALL OF US have to rent or buy a home.

Why is it taxpayers are responsible for not only underwriting a person's rent, but also providing them with a place to spend those dollars? It is just wacked!

Now, elderly housing and housing for the disabled is a different matter. But this is just another "project" that is on the books b/c the Feds are handing out the money, so . . . someone figured out a way to "use" the money - OUR TAX DOLLARS.

Until we start - at the local level - to REFUSE Federal dollars - we are never going to get this country out of debt. It has to start somewhere. Yet, our leaders seem to think this is good fiscal management.

All I can do is just shake my head.

Don't get me wrong - I am all for seeing neighborhoods renovated. But this ain't the way to do it.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:53 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,972,482 times
Would this be a good thread, to also whine about the city council rolling out the red carpet for Richardson to tick off a wish list of stadium improvements? And buying that decrepit motel off Independence? And continuing to debate the streetcar in the capital plan?

I know some people on the forum might defend some of these various goodie bags. But the council in the last year seems to be falling all over itself looking for ways to spend money.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:39 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,189,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
...But the council in the last year seems to be falling all over itself looking for ways to spend money.
Gee, I wish I'd thought of a statement like that.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:29 PM

372 posts, read 721,701 times
Johnson Mills, Mecklenberg Mills and Hoskins Mills (Now Foxridge) have all received a ton of money over the years from the city. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 million plus already between the 90's and now. The owner defaulted (Bankruptcy) and the city sucked it up. The one survivor of the 3 is Hoskins. As for the others, Atherton has done ok and so has Highland.

So here's another million. Only time will tell.

I certainly hope this time, the developer gets on top of this and stays on top. It used to be one of the top calls for service in the district. Hopefully, it doesn't turn out that way again.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:14 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,820,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I don't think Noda has a problem with affordable housing. Walk just a couple of blocks over to neighboring Howie Acres (Dinglewood) and if you survive the trip, you will find plenty of affordable housing.

I bet NoDa has a HUGE problem with "affordable housing." I know I do. I have spent thousands of dollars trying to make chicken salad out of chicken spit. Thanks to the city, I am now looking at having some more chicken spit. (yeah, replace the "p" with an "h").

NIMBY - Not In My Back Yard. It's time this doesn't just apply to the more affluent areas of town. Too many people have invested too much money to just have the city screw it up by requiring some supposed "affordable housing".

Bottom line is the developers shouldn't have got a nickel from the taxpayers. So, I stand by my first post. "Note to self: buy crap property, demand city money", or something similar. Maybe I'll buy some property on Lake Norman and rent it to Section 8 tenants. I could always petition the county to help make lake living affordable for those who are just a little less fortunate. (I see a huge income opportunity here)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte