U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 10:13 AM
NDL NDL started this thread

3,115 posts, read 3,607,600 times

Advertisements

City votes to give money to company for NoDa mill project - News 14

I'm trying to figure out which factor is more boggling: that the City is giving a developer funds for a property that was sold "as is" -or- that the best way to revitalize a crime ridden area, is to bring in low income housing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 10:19 AM

4,760 posts, read 6,406,696 times
Note to self: buy trash properties and get free money from city.

What a stupid move.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:42 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,270,905 times
I honestly believe that the city council does not understand where this money comes from. They throw it away like it grows on trees. In private business this would never happen.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:19 PM

2,352 posts, read 4,024,535 times
It's misleading to say "the city" is giving the money. From the article - "It does not use property tax, it uses a federal fund that has to be spent in this type of a neighborhood." If the money is here already, and it needs to be spent on that type of neighborhood (not sure what that means!), then NoDa seems a good place for the money to go, especially with light rail heading there. I do have a concern about the viability of the property, and I hope any building issues are easily fixed.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:29 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

3,115 posts, read 3,607,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
It's misleading to say "the city" is giving the money. From the article - "It does not use property tax, it uses a federal fund that has to be spent in this type of a neighborhood." If the money is here already, and it needs to be spent on that type of neighborhood (not sure what that means!), then NoDa seems a good place for the money to go, especially with light rail heading there. I do have a concern about the viability of the property, and I hope any building issues are easily fixed.
The title came directly from the source article.

I can't understand why the City would want to provide 'affordable housing' in an area they're trying to rehabilitate.

Affordable housing often means an increase in crime, and an increase in crime will thwart the rehabilitation of the area - in what ought to be a prime location.

If the grant money has to be spent, it could've been put to use toward other needful projects. I think it's absolutely nuts that a developer can assume a property 'as is', and later claim they don't have the funds to finish the project due to unseen damage. Caveat emptor.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:36 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,270,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
My statement still stands. Whether it was through city or federal taxes, WE paid for that fund. Is there not a better way to spend that money besides what should have been a privately funded project?

Old 10-09-2012, 04:45 PM

467 posts, read 1,285,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post

I can't understand why the City would want to provide 'affordable housing' in an area they're trying to rehabilitate.

Affordable housing often means an increase in crime, and an increase in crime will thwart the rehabilitation of the area - in what ought to be a prime location.

If the grant money has to be spent, it could've been put to use toward other needful projects. I think it's absolutely nuts that a developer can assume a property 'as is', and later claim they don't have the funds to finish the project due to unseen damage. Caveat emptor.
There is a big push to incorporate affordable housing into all neighborhoods, even affluent ones, so that people are able to live near their employer. This is supposed to reduce blight in challenged neighborhoods, reduce traffic, pollution, etc. The method to do this without alarming the higher income residents is to build multi family with a percentage of the units designated low income. Theoretically, you wouldn't know that the low income units are there. They say its working... I haven't verified this...

I think it's great that the mill is being renovated, even with taxpayer dollars. This is a part of town that is important to charlotte's identity, and with the lack of history in the city the restored mill will be a nice addition. The city is also in desperate need of affordable housing, regardless of the location.

The part that I DO DISAGREE with is that low-income folks get to pay subsidized rent to live in a gorgeous restored mill. Subsidized housing should not be nicer than the average home. In fact, it probably should be worse so that there is some motivation to get off the system instead of becoming a lifer.. I spend a lot of time with people receiving assistance for food, housing, etc.. and most of them squander the money they earn on iphones, flat screens, and use the money that working taxpayers earned to pay their bills. Everyone should get a tour of these lifestyles before election time...

Old 10-09-2012, 10:04 PM

1,356 posts, read 2,288,517 times
Yes, it's our money we paid to them... therefore, they can do what they want with it.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:12 AM

1,547 posts, read 2,169,061 times
We pay taxes so elected Idiots can decide how to use the funds.
Way to Go!!!!

Go, Go, Go!

We need 4 more, we need 4 more, 4 more,
rah, rah, rah!

Old 10-10-2012, 12:55 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,708,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post

Investing in "affordable" housing in the area where the blue line will transit gives a good reason to not ride the rail after dark. It is part of the current trend of "Tax the suburban and spend on the urban." I certainly see why Ballyntyne wishes to be its own city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte