Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 12:53 AM

18 posts, read 20,644 times

Advertisements

For the past year I've been taking the bus around charlotte and looking for a job.

Typical day for me. I'll go into a place like wal-mart or somewhere. ask to speak with a manager.

I say "hello sir/ma'am, i'm looking for employment in your store" and I keep getting the same run around.

They tell me to go online to do these "tests" and its a 100+ question personality indicator. I always end up failing these.

So then I go to other places like taco bell. and they have a hiring sign in the window. but when I've gone to ask for a job. they tell me that we arent hiring actually. the corporation makes us run applications to meet a regulation.

I was also told by a k-mart manager that they've been laying off employees and that the hiring sign was also due to a regulation from corporate. (this was the gastonia one)

So im just wondering whats going on in this state / city.

are we out of jobs here or what? can the american man find a job? let me know what my options are right now.

Thanks and much love to everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 05:47 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,537,139 times
Gun sales are at an all time high, Glock. Hint Hint

Old 10-10-2012, 06:40 AM

86 posts, read 229,670 times
First of all, I am sorry to hear that you are going through this. I know most retails are hiring around this time because of the holidays. Check out these two sites: Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed.com and Job Search | View All Job Openings | Snagajob. You can find jobs on these two sites that are hiring. The more applications you put in, someone will give you a call. I wish you all the luck.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:50 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,916,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockguns View Post
For the past year I've been taking the bus around charlotte and looking for a job.

Typical day for me. I'll go into a place like wal-mart or somewhere. ask to speak with a manager.

I say "hello sir/ma'am, i'm looking for employment in your store" and I keep getting the same run around.

They tell me to go online to do these "tests" and its a 100+ question personality indicator. I always end up failing these.

So then I go to other places like taco bell. and they have a hiring sign in the window. but when I've gone to ask for a job. they tell me that we arent hiring actually. the corporation makes us run applications to meet a regulation.

I was also told by a k-mart manager that they've been laying off employees and that the hiring sign was also due to a regulation from corporate. (this was the gastonia one)

So im just wondering whats going on in this state / city.

are we out of jobs here or what? can the american man find a job? let me know what my options are right now.

Thanks and much love to everyone.
“So im just wondering whats going on in this state / city.” Nothing, this city and state is just like any other place in this country.

“are we out of jobs here or what?” It would be the or what.. jobs are out there but employers have a larger pool to choose from and seems like you are not making the cut.

“can the American man find a job?” Some can however it would greatly help if you could pass a personality test.

“let me know what my options are right now”.. go online and find nonprofits that help with employment searches, not a forum for people to chit chat about Charlotte.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:23 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,803,896 times
Sorry but that sounds a bit fishy to me. I know for a fact that most of the stores at Carolina Pavilion are hiring right now as are most of the other stores at the malls. Does that mean full time hours? Probably not. If you're looking for full time hours apply to any of the security companies in the area. They are all hiring right now too & will give you as many hours as you want.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Sorry but that sounds a bit fishy to me. I know for a fact that most of the stores at Carolina Pavilion are hiring right now as are most of the other stores at the malls. Does that mean full time hours? Probably not. If you're looking for full time hours apply to any of the security companies in the area. They are all hiring right now too & will give you as many hours as you want.
If he continually fails a personality test, a security job probably is not the best line of work for him.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:35 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,061,213 times
One of my husband's part time jobs is in retail, right on Independence in Charlotte. They've been hiring non-stop since August or September, in anticipation of Christmas. Funny thing is, husband says no one wants to do to work and applicants, particularly men, are few and far in between.

Really not sure why you're having so much difficulty but perhaps retail just isn't your calling, in light of not being able to pass the personality test (not required by all retailers, paper applications are still available too).

Good look in a more suitable field!

Old 10-10-2012, 08:41 AM

I am sure there is more to this story that is keeping jobs out of reach for this individual, perhaps criminal record, bad to no credit, lack of job history, past job problems, etc.., all the stuff when put on paper automatically sends it to the no pile.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:01 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,108,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
I am sure there is more to this story that is keeping jobs out of reach for this individual, perhaps criminal record, bad to no credit, lack of job history, past job problems, etc.., all the stuff when put on paper automatically sends it to the no pile.
No doubt in my mind that you're right. With all due respect to most Walmart employees, they will hire anyone that can fog a mirror.

How does one fail a personality test? Does that mean OP has no personality?

Old 10-10-2012, 09:44 AM

21,004 posts, read 27,009,485 times
For a few years, I looked for a job relevant to my field, interest and pay. I found entry level positions irrelevant to my interest with fewer hours and pay to be less than appealing. I settled on a job not relevant to my field, but something I enjoy doing. I still search for a job in my relevant interest should something arise.

The last thing you want to do is shoot off hundreds of applications not knowing what you want to do. Instead, get a plan together of skills and trades you are able to do that can be your career, see if you have the education and experience relevant to those fields, network with friends or acquaintences who may know of people in your desired career, and apply with employers who specialize in those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte