Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 11:22 AM

5,125 posts, read 7,254,948 times

Advertisements

You may be capable of performing the job requirements for some of the jobs you have applied for. But truth be told, politics and personality do play a role in the selection process, in addition to qualifications. The qualifications may get you in the door for an interview, but the politics and personal factors may influence the hiring decision. Who you know, being in the right place at the right time, age and personality do indeed play a role. I've been told before I was very qualified, but they wanted a younger person. Or that another personality seemed to be a better fit. Or they preferred a female. Or how good looking you are and how well you dress. Or come to find out they hired a friend of another worker. Or I was overqualified. So it can be about luck, and timing, and who you know. I know it can be frustrating at times when life doesn't seem fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 11:46 AM

15,361 posts, read 12,554,856 times
if you can't pass the personality test at walmart retail isn't for you...

try stocking at a grocery store.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:15 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,117,408 times
Maybe he has a reading problem or is dyslexic! I don't think folks shoudl be so dismissive.

If he DOES have a reading disability, is dyslexic, or has a vision problem, companies are required by law to make accommodations, i.e., read the questions to him. Some people do better when the question is read to them.

I don't think we should assume these are personality tests, either. They could be overall skill level tests.

You can find a job but you will need to consider every aspect of your appearance and presentation. And as others have mentioned, perhaps hone in on a set of skills and a type of job you would do well in. For example, let's say you love being outdoors. Go to Orvis or Dick's, for example, and tell them you know something about the various equipment lines they sell.

It is not easy to find any work right now - you need to have an edge, whether personality or skill set or friends who can recommend you where they work. That is the state of the economy at this point in time.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:30 PM

18 posts, read 20,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
You may be capable of performing the job requirements for some of the jobs you have applied for. But truth be told, politics and personality do play a role in the selection process, in addition to qualifications. The qualifications may get you in the door for an interview, but the politics and personal factors may influence the hiring decision. Who you know, being in the right place at the right time, age and personality do indeed play a role. I've been told before I was very qualified, but they wanted a younger person. Or that another personality seemed to be a better fit. Or they preferred a female. Or how good looking you are and how well you dress. Or come to find out they hired a friend of another worker. Or I was overqualified. So it can be about luck, and timing, and who you know. I know it can be frustrating at times when life doesn't seem fair.

Its more than politics or personality.

Its discrimination and you know it.

These guys who are hiring are only looking for one of the golden boys. and like most managers told me. They usually hire someone within the company and then put up "now hiring" signs. to meet a government quota of how many applicants they must review.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:39 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,117,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockguns View Post

These guys who are hiring are only looking for one of the golden boys. and like most managers told me. They usually hire someone within the company and then put up "now hiring" signs. to meet a government quota of how many applicants they must review.
Well, now . . . this post sounds like you have an attitude. Golden Boys?

Every company would only be right - fair and equitable - to give folks already working there a chance to move up in the organization.

And yes, they may open up the process to the public, whether by mandate or b/c of company policy, b/c someone "out there" really could be the right person for the job (or the job being opened once the inside person gets the new position).

But to act like it is unfair that folks already working for a company get preference for a lateral or even promotion move . . . that is not sensible.

As far as people hiring folks they know or friends of people who work in a company . . . that is often the best way to find a new hire b/c of recommendations f/ people who don't want THEIR reputation ruined if they would suggest considering a friend or former coworker as being the person for the job.

There is more to your story. I don't know what your qualifications are . . . how old or how long you have been looking . . . your work history . . . how you present yourself.

There are jobs to be had, but here's what I advise people: you worked 40 hours a week. When you are out of work, you need to work at securing a job for 40 hours a week, cause finding work IS your job at that point.

You can't stop in to 24 establishments over several months and decide you can't find a job. How about 24 establishments a week? You have to get organized, make a plan, and go talk to managers, HR folks, etc. ANd as others said, decide what type of work you are even geared towards.

It may be the best thing you can do is go back to school for additional training, and do whatever work you can get in the meantime. You would be surprised how open managers are when they find out someone is actually doing something other than sitting around complaining (getting a degree!) . . . that could be the factor that lands you a job right there. Anyone trying to hone up on their skills, get a new license or degree has a plan, drive and determination - and those are qualities that are often at the top of the list when deciding on who to hire.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:52 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,828,039 times
Hello

I've had some experience in HR and was involved in the Hiring and Interview process at my last job. First of all, I'm sorry about your situation!

Secondly, right now North Carolina has amongst the highest unemployment in the nation which could be factoring into your situation.

However, without sounding accusatory I have to ask- how do you present yourself when you come in and ask for an application? Even in this day and age, we live in a highly superficial world and image is everything even in the minimum wage retail / service sector.

If you come in wearing Jeans and a Sweatshirt, I (and other hiring managers) wouldn't take you as seriously as someone who came in wearing a nice freshly ironed pair of pants, button up shirt/ blouse, clean shoes and neat and clean hair. You don't need to look like you've stepped out of a fashion magazine, but 'professional casual' is always the way to go no matter what the job or place of employment.

Tattoos and Piercings are another one. I'm not one to judge because I also have tattoos and piercings- however, for the sake of work and for the sake of interviews I always make sure my piercings are kept to my lower lobes and my tattoos are covered. If you don't have any though, that's absolutely fine too

I'm sorry that you're having all of these issues though.

Best of luck to you and I hope that you can find some employment soon!

Kindest Regards & Best Wishes,
A

Old 10-10-2012, 02:59 PM

247 posts, read 376,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Hello

I've had some experience in HR and was involved in the Hiring and Interview process at my last job. First of all, I'm sorry about your situation!

Secondly, right now North Carolina has amongst the highest unemployment in the nation which could be factoring into your situation.

However, without sounding accusatory I have to ask- how do you present yourself when you come in and ask for an application? Even in this day and age, we live in a highly superficial world and image is everything even in the minimum wage retail / service sector.

If you come in wearing Jeans and a Sweatshirt, I (and other hiring managers) wouldn't take you as seriously as someone who came in wearing a nice freshly ironed pair of pants, button up shirt/ blouse, clean shoes and neat and clean hair. You don't need to look like you've stepped out of a fashion magazine, but 'professional casual' is always the way to go no matter what the job or place of employment.

Tattoos and Piercings are another one. I'm not one to judge because I also have tattoos and piercings- however, for the sake of work and for the sake of interviews I always make sure my piercings are kept to my lower lobes and my tattoos are covered. If you don't have any though, that's absolutely fine too

I'm sorry that you're having all of these issues though.

Best of luck to you and I hope that you can find some employment soon!

Kindest Regards & Best Wishes,
A
Would you look at that! Excellent advise, sprinkled with valid suggestions and a general air of civility. Nicely done!

And to the OP - good luck with the job search, it really is pretty tough out there!

I see jobs listed for my company all the time, and 90% of the time (if not more) I am unable to send the jobs to freinds who are looking because they have to list the job for a set time as an internal position only.

You can't reply to the job posting unless your email comes from a company address.

It is not a great time to be looking for a job, that's for sure.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:00 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,502,149 times
Not to be funny, but have thought about how you are answering the questions to these personality tests? If you are constantly failing them, perhaps it is because your answers need to be changed.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:18 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,110,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockguns View Post

This word again. It may come as a surprise that hiring a better applicant for valid reasons is not discrimination. But maybe here we see a bit of the problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Not to be funny, but have thought about how you are answering the questions to these personality tests? If you are constantly failing them, perhaps it is because your answers need to be changed.
Damn you and your logic!!!

Old 10-10-2012, 03:24 PM

2,753 posts, read 5,106,559 times
If you have so much hard time after so many trials, you need to change your approach (only thing you can control). Blaming things you cannot control are not going to be helping you get a job.

As they say, first impression is very important - very true in job searching. So first you need to make sure you have a very clean presence (clothes, hair) and second be very pleasant during the meetings with your potential colleagues. Smile as much as you can and behave and treat everybody like you already have a job there (and you really like them and have known them for long time).

Once they are comfortable and like you, your chance of getting that job has exponentially increased.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte