Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 06:15 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,427,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
I discovered a few years ago that it's cheaper to use electric space heaters than run the furnace this time of year. I live alone, so all I need is some heat where *I* am. Even in the winter, I leave the thermostat around 62 degrees, and then space heat where needed.

We uSe our wood stove from late Nov -ish to around end Feb.
It will burn non-stop for around 4 days. It keeps most of the house (1800 sqft) at about 74 degrees but our bedroom at one end of the house can be a little chilly (for me)sometimes so we have an electric oil filled radiator to use at shower times etc.

The stove isn't that efficient as it's older and doesn't have that much thermal mass or a fan that blows hot air going up the flue back into the room.
If we ever get to remodel the house I want a stove in a masonry chimney, whole house ventialtion and some solar power, at least for hot water.

In the Spring this year a HUGE limb came off the oak tree in the neighbors garden and that will keep us going in firewood for maybe 2 months this winter.

Funnily enough I was looking at a website for a company in Asheville that build hemp houses. Sounds like brilliant stuff to use -very efficient for insulation and when used on walls is breatichable,Also non-toxic and non-allergenic!

Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 06:42 AM

714 posts, read 2,305,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
These types of informational programs are really effective and were initally designed by a company called O-power. They encourage people to become more aware of their energy consumption by comparing your energy usage with neighbors (on average), frequent reminders to unplug power supplies, turn off lights, etc.
Thanks for the background on these.

Question for you though: Say I'm Duke Energy. Don't I want my customers to be mindless energy hogs for my bottom line? If I'm saving money, how does it benefit the power company? I'm impressed by and interested in the notices, and I use them to compare how we're using energy, but how does Duke make a profit off of that?

Old 10-11-2012, 06:50 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,717,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post

Question for you though: Say I'm Duke Energy. Don't I want my customers to be mindless energy hogs for my bottom line? If I'm saving money, how does it benefit the power company? I'm impressed by and interested in the notices, and I use them to compare how we're using energy, but how does Duke make a profit off of that?
I can shed light on duke incentives. Duke will pay companies a rebate for switching to energy efficient lighting. The pot of money does not come from duke. It comes from all companies who pay an additional "rider" in their power bill. So basically duke is not paying out of the goodness of their heart. Anyone who works in acctg and has access to their companys power bill, you should check the breakouts...very interesting.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:48 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,412 times
Quote:

Absolutely, but (always a but) they want the energy hogging to occur at a certain time of the day. The utility companies perform a balancing act everyday to match supply with demand. Again, flattening the load or usage curve at peak times avoids having to fire up those costly reserve units or purchasing energy from the wholesale market.

Also, it cost millions of bucks to build a new so-called "clean coal" plant, billions of dollars to build a nuclear plant...so the goal is to defer capital intense investment facilities via lowering energy consumpton (during certain times of the day). Renewable energy (especially solar) is becoming a major player in the mix coupled with a movement from centralized generation to decentralized generation as the newer technology evolves (energy storage, electric vehicles, etc)...their business models will also have to evolve.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:16 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,190,813 times
Quote:

not necessarily. Duke isn't losing money, I assure you. If people use power inefficiently they can't serve as many customers with the infrastructure they already have in place. It's all about serving as many customers as possible without having to invest in capital infrastructure.

They are also under heavy federal regulation, and the federal government is responsible for making sure that these large monopoly-like companies aren't fleecing their customers just because they can. Again, Duke Energy isn't paying me to metabolize their pollutants so they can turn a higher profit. As much belly-aching as goes on about "gubmint", they serve a valuable role in civilized society. If it weren't for environmental regulations companies would pollute like crazy so they could turn a higher profit for their shareholders or owners. There has to be protections for the people who are just completely uninformed about the dangers of the pollutants out there, and the very real economic impact they have. When companies pollute, we ALL pay the price... but only the company gets the profits.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:23 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,937,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
It's also more dangerous. Do you run them at night?
No at night we use the bbq...

Old 10-11-2012, 09:41 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
As much belly-aching as goes on about "gubmint", they serve a valuable role in civilized society. If it weren't for environmental regulations companies would pollute like crazy so they could turn a higher profit for their shareholders or owners. There has to be protections for the people who are just completely uninformed about the dangers of the pollutants out there, and the very real economic impact they have. When companies pollute, we ALL pay the price... but only the company gets the profits.
Actually the three coal power plants in the Charlotte area operated by Duke Energy were on the list of the 25 dirtiest in the USA for much of the 20th century. They managed to get waivers at will for any "regulations" placed on them. The point being is that reliance on government to solve problems leads to a bunch of unintended results. Government doesn't solve problems, it creates dependence. Dependence that people, businesses and companies learn to exploit over and over.

Just this week, it's come out this week that the massive amount of money given to Solyndra, in another misguided attempt by the government to favor one business over another, has resulted in failure, bankruptcy to the tune of 1/2 billion dollars, and for all that money spent, there is nothing to show for it.

I'm not buying these as some sort of excuse, like affinity grocery store cards, that government has to dictate how we us power in our homes.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:16 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,637,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Actually the three coal power plants in the Charlotte area operated by Duke Energy were on the list of the 25 dirtiest in the USA for much of the 20th century. They managed to get waivers at will for any "regulations" placed on them. The point being is that reliance on government to solve problems leads to a bunch of unintended results. Government doesn't solve problems, it creates dependence. Dependence that people, businesses and companies learn to exploit over and over.

Just this week, it's come out this week that the massive amount of money given to Solyndra, in another misguided attempt by the government to favor one business over another, has resulted in failure, bankruptcy to the tune of 1/2 billion dollars, and for all that money spent, there is nothing to show for it.

I'm not buying these as some sort of excuse, like affinity grocery store cards, that government has to dictate how we us power in our homes.
Do you have to use a grocery store card to shop at a store? I don't think so...

as far as Solyndra goes... well, why else would a person donate millions of dollars to a campaign and why would a guy like Romney with tons of money run for a position that pays 250K a year?

Old 10-11-2012, 11:38 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Do you have to use a grocery store card to shop at a store? I don't think so.
Why wouldn't I carry then? It's irrelevant to the point made. If you want to know why Romney wants to run for president then I recommend you ask him. It's also irrelevant to the point made. This isn't about Presidential politics. It's about government intruding, at every angle, into people's lives with the misguided notion they are going to make people have better lives.

It's really sad that you argue that such notions are perfectly fine.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:45 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,333,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Why wouldn't I carry then?
Is this English?

No one says you have to have a grocery store loyalty card. You can get most of the discounts by asking to borrow the cashier's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte