Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 03:09 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
What is unrealistic about hanging clothes to dry? I guess if you have a small apartment maybe you would have an issue but almost everyone could get creative if it was related into real dollars savings. Anyone with a large house should be able to find somewhere to put stuff.

Same deal with cardboard and paper recycling. It's sometimes a pain to find somewhere to put it but when you realize how much you save in not buying as many garbage bags, it becomes worth it.
People aren't going to hang clothes when they have a dryer right next to their washer... its not realistic. Lowering or.raising the thermostat is more ideal IMO.

Its too convenient to use the dryer...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 04:32 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,607,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
People aren't going to hang clothes when they have a dryer right next to their washer... its not realistic. Lowering or.raising the thermostat is more ideal IMO.

Its too convenient to use the dryer...
Yeah, it's real hard to hang the clothes that I am going to hang anyway.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:34 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
People aren't going to hang clothes when they have a dryer right next to their washer... .
My mom who is in her 70s does it even though she has a brand new dryer. She says that not only does it keep the power bills down, it also keeps her young. I use a temporary clothes line myself as I like hanging clothes and I have a gas dryer which costs a lot less than an electric dryer to run.

Not using the clothes dryer is an easy way to save a significant amount of electricity that requires very little investment. It's a lifestyle choice. It's easy to talk conservation. Quite another to practice it.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:36 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,607,644 times
If anything, it's easier for me to hang straight from the washer. Skips the step of putting it into and taking out of the dryer.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Yeah, it's real hard to hang the clothes that I am going to hang anyway.
lol... what's the point of telling people who hang clothes to hang clothes...

Obviously I was talking about people who use dryers and it takes more time to hang clothes vs throwing them in the dryer.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
My mom who is in her 70s does it even though she has a brand new dryer. She says that not only does it keep the power bills down, it also keeps her young. I use a temporary clothes line myself as I like hanging clothes and I have a gas dryer which costs a lot less than an electric dryer to run.

Not using the clothes dryer is an easy way to save a significant amount of electricity that requires very little investment. It's a lifestyle choice. It's easy to talk conservation. Quite another to practice it.
I'm letting you know its a practice I won't participate in... and I doubt others will as well. The older generation hold onto plenty of traditions and most have nothing to do with cost. They don't use microwaves, they unplug televisions and don't use the phone during thunderstorms. I recently had a conversation about an elder wishing she still had the old washing machines with the scary ringer press wheel.

You aren't going to convince 20 to 40 year olds to hang their clothes IMO. People who believe their clothes dry better by hanging will continue to do so but the average American isn't going to spend an hour hanging clothes when they can toss them in the dryer and turn a knob.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:26 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
I'm letting you know its a practice I won't participate in...
Dear Heart, the universe doesn't revolve around you. I have no interest your personal shortcomings.

My commentary is for people looking for ways to save money and conserve energy and this one ranks up there with the very easy to do for the amount of energy saved.

If this doesn't apply to you, then so be it. Move on. No need to stomp your feet, and blow steam on why you deserve the luxury of modern convenience over energy conservation.

Last edited by frewroad; 10-17-2012 at 02:29 AM..

Old 10-17-2012, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Dear Heart, the universe doesn't revolve around you. I have no interest your personal shortcomings.

My commentary is for people looking for ways to save money and conserve energy and this one ranks up there with the very easy to do for the amount of energy saved.

If this doesn't apply to you, then so be it. Move on. No need to stomp your feet, and blow steam on why you deserve the luxury of modern convenience over energy conservation.
OK...lol. However, like a previously said... powerstripping your TV and computer, raising the AC temp a few degrees are far more realistic solutions to save energy.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:43 AM

One can also go online and order free energy efficient bulbs from Duke Energy (1X only)...

Old 10-17-2012, 06:55 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,721,860 times
Quote:
One can also go online and order free energy efficient bulbs from Duke Energy (1X only)...
Or even one better. You can get a free home energy audit from Duke, and they will give you the swirls (ie Fluorescent bulbs) for free
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte