U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-10-2012, 11:40 AM
NDL NDL started this thread
 
Location: Gaston County
3,130 posts, read 3,612,932 times
Reputation: 2050

Advertisements

Map shows electricity use across Charlotte | CharlotteObserver.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-10-2012, 01:34 PM
 
3,774 posts, read 6,990,604 times
Reputation: 4402
Lo and behold! Unsurprisingly it's the South Charlotte/Ballantyne residents boosting averages across the whole metro. We ALL ingest the pollutants from coal-fired power stations, we ALL breathe the toxic fumes from their minivans and SUVs as they drive from their far-flung suburbs and we ALL pay higher prices because of the demand their presence brings to bear on the market. God forbid any of THEIR taxes pay for improvements in other parts of the city though, lol. Awww hell naw!

Y'all poor people shut up! If it weren't for them we'd all still be driving tractors and working in the mills. Aw wait, nevermind... jobs shipped out for profits. Gotta make those Benjamins somewhere, those power bills aren't paying themselves!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2012, 01:44 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times
Reputation: 22370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Lo and behold! Unsurprisingly it's the South Charlotte/Ballantyne residents boosting averages across the whole metro. We ALL ingest the pollutants from coal-fired power stations, we ALL breathe the toxic fumes from their minivans and SUVs as they drive from their far-flung suburbs and we ALL pay higher prices because of the demand their presence brings to bear on the market. God forbid any of THEIR taxes pay for improvements in other parts of the city though, lol. Awww hell naw!

Y'all poor people shut up! If it weren't for them we'd all still be driving tractors and working in the mills. Aw wait, nevermind... jobs shipped out for profits. Gotta make those Benjamins somewhere, those power bills aren't paying themselves!
If people would not be jerks about having wood stoves, that right there would cut down on energy consumption. However, someone in the neighborhood would start whining about pollution (wood smoke is not nearly as bad as most other emissions and it is a renewable resource).

The energy consumption in many homes in the areas you have cited might be b/c folks are working at home. Almost all my neighbors are now working from home, and computers, cinema monitors, laser printers, etc do drain the energy. My bill goes way down when no one is working here at my house.

Of course, there are large homes in that area, too . . . so that is part of the situation. More square footage, more consumption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2012, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Matthews, NC
14,693 posts, read 23,075,368 times
Reputation: 14332
FTA:

The city is sifting through other factors at play, such as correlations between energy use and household size, housing square footage and income.

Read more here: Map shows electricity use across Charlotte | CharlotteObserver.com

What about grow houses? Are they going to factor those in, too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2012, 02:07 PM
 
3,774 posts, read 6,990,604 times
Reputation: 4402
Also interesting about the map. The most power consumed downtown (least efficient) is in second ward. What is in second ward, you ask? Govco, lol.

Lawza, we're doomed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2012, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
9,114 posts, read 15,640,589 times
Reputation: 3690
I mean is it any surprise that more affluent areas w/larger homes use more electricity?

The question I have is so what? If they use more they are going to pay more.

I have a decent size home however we try very hard to conserve to save money....if it helps the environment, well thats an extra benefit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2012, 02:23 PM
 
3,774 posts, read 6,990,604 times
Reputation: 4402
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
The question I have is so what?
What is the problem?

Go back and look at my rant!! It has the following NEGATIVE consequences for society:

higher costs for everyone
more pollution for everyone

The "trade-off" is supposed to come with community investment. But the teabaggers have convinced a lot of poor saps that paying for a sidewalk in a poor neighborhood where everyone has to walk to work/bus stop/grocery store/school is some sort of robbery or class warfare/envy.

Hell, look at Ballantyne's whining about secession.

Revolution - The Beatles - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2012, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
716 posts, read 1,906,663 times
Reputation: 463
Central air during the hottest summer on record in a >1000 sq ft home is probably a major contributing factor.

I also agree with the fact that more professionals are working from home now. (Which of course requires the AC in the summer.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2012, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
714 posts, read 2,026,683 times
Reputation: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet* View Post
Central air during the hottest summer on record in a >1000 sq ft home is probably a major contributing factor.

I also agree with the fact that more professionals are working from home now. (Which of course requires the AC in the summer.)
Don't forget space heater in the winter. No reason to heat this whole house when I just need my room during the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2012, 02:39 PM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
9,114 posts, read 15,640,589 times
Reputation: 3690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
What is the problem?

Go back and look at my rant!! It has the following NEGATIVE consequences for society:

higher costs for everyone
more pollution for everyone

The "trade-off" is supposed to come with community investment. But the teabaggers have convinced a lot of poor saps that paying for a sidewalk in a poor neighborhood where everyone has to walk to work/bus stop/grocery store/school is some sort of robbery or class warfare/envy.

Hell, look at Ballantyne's whining about secession.

Revolution - The Beatles - YouTube
People like you who think they know better and try to dictate to me what to do are the problem with society.

I wonder how much you pay extra in taxes to Govco ON YOUR OWN.....I thought so.

Many people want to spread the wealth w/other peoples money but when it comes to their own, fuggedaboutit......


Go to Europe and pay your $8/gallon of gas if you'd like.....lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:25 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top