U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-11-2012, 01:24 PM
 
3,914 posts, read 3,945,062 times
Reputation: 1272

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
making up lies?
Yep. You said I equated Charlotte to a concentration camp and were quoting Russians to prove it. Not only is this a lie, but it is insulting especially considering the implications of what that means. Please stop the personal attacks.

 
Old 10-11-2012, 01:25 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,046,730 times
Reputation: 22371
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Indeed. It was a bad miscalculation given the state reasons for holding it in Charlotte. I've noticed a marked drop in Obama adverts on TV in the last few days which is an indication they have already given up here. They might have wanted to stick with Cleveland instead given the goal they gave for holding the election in Charlotte.
I dont know, FREW. I think they feel they have it sewn up here in this state.

Face it - the DEM registration far exceeds GOP registered voters. Maybe they feel they have done all they can do and they have a solid base here. Maybe they know the voting machines are all rigged and no sweat, LOL.

I am sure getting phone calls. I have already had 5 polling calls today and I am not kidding. I have been posting about it on FB for weeks - I get 3 - 7 calls a day - very interruptive. I am now ignoring all I can filter.
 
Old 10-11-2012, 01:29 PM
 
3,914 posts, read 3,945,062 times
Reputation: 1272
But Democratic registration has always exceeded that of the GOP in NC. That has more to do with NC state politics rather than national politics. I'm a registered democrat myself but haven't changed it because I haven't had the motivation to do so. While there are a lot of straight party voters I think there are a lot of people who don't vote this way either.

I do have another observation. This election will be decided by White suburbanites. The GOP and the Democratic party both have their constituencies sewn up. However it is this group that will go both ways in this state and based on just the yard signs I'm seeing, this election is completely different than the one in 2008 where Obama just scraped by. I think the fact that Walter Dalton is doing so badly in the polls against a mayor from Charlotte isn't a good sign for the DNC's prospects.

(I haven't gotten a single polling call on any of my phones. Testimate I guess to the success of pulling out of the system.)
 
Old 10-11-2012, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,723 posts, read 9,351,910 times
Reputation: 5231
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Indeed. It was a bad miscalculation given the state reasons for holding it in Charlotte. I've noticed a marked drop in Obama adverts on TV in the last few days which is an indication they have already given up here. They might have wanted to stick with Cleveland instead given the goal they gave for holding the election in Charlotte.
Given up? Isn't the Western part of NC leaning blue?

If he held it in Cleveland it would be the same thing... you don't buy tons of ads in the city if you held the convention there. That area is pretty much locked up.
 
Old 10-11-2012, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,723 posts, read 9,351,910 times
Reputation: 5231
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Yep. You said I equated Charlotte to a concentration camp and were quoting Russians to prove it. Not only is this a lie, but it is insulting especially considering the implications of what that means. Please stop the personal attacks.
you are right.. I apologize..

I was being sensational like saying the USA should be called the USSR...
 
Old 10-11-2012, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,723 posts, read 9,351,910 times
Reputation: 5231
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I dont know, FREW. I think they feel they have it sewn up here in this state.

Face it - the DEM registration far exceeds GOP registered voters. Maybe they feel they have done all they can do and they have a solid base here. Maybe they know the voting machines are all rigged and no sweat, LOL.

I am sure getting phone calls. I have already had 5 polling calls today and I am not kidding. I have been posting about it on FB for weeks - I get 3 - 7 calls a day - very interruptive. I am now ignoring all I can filter.
exactly... why invest in an area you have locked up? They put that money in different states and different parts of this state.

I don't think Dem registration numbers mean it's all Obama... but the DEMS did a great job registering a ton of voters in 2008.

Maybe they won't vote this time around because the "history in the making" has worn off but Mitt is far from likable... I can't see a bunch of Southern Christians voting for a Mormon.
 
Old 10-11-2012, 01:37 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,888 posts, read 27,167,930 times
Reputation: 8955
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes, no way I would be making predictions. The DEM registration in this state, overall, far outweighs the GOP. Folks here traditionally vote how they see it - not according to party lines. There are pockets, of course, where you can count on straight line tickets, but that is not true when the state as a whole is considered. So you are right - no way to tell what is going to happen in NC come election day.

I have also noticed (and you probably have, too!) that just b/c people are being quiet doens't mean they haevn't made up their minds. As it typical in this region, the majority of folks dont' really want everyone to know their political leanings, as people get angry with one another - they take their politics seriously! Local politics is one thing . . . but state and national . . . the folks I grew up around rarely say too much about who they are voting for - or just nod and agree even if they do NOT agree - just to keep from getting into a disagreement.
Actually, more people have talked politics to me this year than any time in my life. It's not so much politics per say as voicing their anger about the legislature & the federal congress. It's no secret in Kings Mountain that people here don't like McHenry. I doubt that this area is being polled for any race.

Based on the mood here, I would not want to guess who would win the top of the ticket. If the mood is the same as here statewide, NC is going very blue. If this area does not reflect the rest of the state it could go very red.
 
Old 10-11-2012, 02:05 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,046,730 times
Reputation: 22371
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Actually, more people have talked politics to me this year than any time in my life. It's not so much politics per say as voicing their anger about the legislature & the federal congress. It's no secret in Kings Mountain that people here don't like McHenry. I doubt that this area is being polled for any race.

Based on the mood here, I would not want to guess who would win the top of the ticket. If the mood is the same as here statewide, NC is going very blue. If this area does not reflect the rest of the state it could go very red.
Well, I have my own private predictions on a PER COUNTY red/blue vote . . . as that is how this state works (especially in the rural areas).

My thing is . . . voter turn out. There are counties that I feel about 100% sure will go red and those I would bet on to go blue . . . and believe it or not, in 40 years, I have never been wrong about the counties I was sure about, lol. But the thing is this year . . . head count. We have 100 counties . . . and side by side counties can have very different voting patterns (as you know, SB).

It will be very interesting to see how this all turns out. I don't think I am going to be surprised (on a county by county basis) but the volume of voters . . . that is what I have no clue about and that is going to be the key.
 
Old 10-11-2012, 02:16 PM
 
4,222 posts, read 6,713,872 times
Reputation: 1560
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
The Chairman of the DNC Convention, former governor of Virginia Tim Kaine, said the reason for choosing Charlotte for the 2012 convention was this.
It appears this will not be the case. WCCB, TV channel 18, is reporting that Suffolk University City Polling center will no longer conduct polls in NC because there is no chance Obama can win in this state. I've not seen this coverage on the other channels but it may be there.
I hope Charlotte doesn't receive blame for this debacle.
Sweet
 
Old 10-11-2012, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,723 posts, read 9,351,910 times
Reputation: 5231
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, I have my own private predictions on a PER COUNTY red/blue vote . . . as that is how this state works (especially in the rural areas).

My thing is . . . voter turn out. There are counties that I feel about 100% sure will go red and those I would bet on to go blue . . . and believe it or not, in 40 years, I have never been wrong about the counties I was sure about, lol. But the thing is this year . . . head count. We have 100 counties . . . and side by side counties can have very different voting patterns (as you know, SB).

It will be very interesting to see how this all turns out. I don't think I am going to be surprised (on a county by county basis) but the volume of voters . . . that is what I have no clue about and that is going to be the key.
the voting maps on CNN are great... it's crazy when they show some of these huge rural counties and you see 5,000 votes... then they show an urban district that is miniscule in comparison and the voting numbers are 300K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:22 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top