Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 01:33 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Hmm I don't see where they are a joke. I do see where it's being stated that if a polling organization predicts that a certain candidate pulls ahead, then said polling organizaiton is discredited. 2nd pollester where this has happened now.

Obama won because he got 18,000 more votes than McCain/Palin (a horrible ticket) in a state with over 6 million voters. The urban areas, while holding the 1/2 of the urban population, do not result in 1/2 of the net votes because they tend to cancel themselves out. In Mecklenburg, while over 400,000 people voted, Obama only netted 100,000 votes from Mecklenburg, the most populous county in the state. However these votes were canceled out by the net votes from Iredell, Gaston, Cabarrus, Union and Lincoln counties, 5 of the 6 counties in the Charlotte metro. If I had added in York county in SC, this metro netted votes for McCain, one of the worst tickets in memory. So the idea that urban areas make this election isn't true.

I tend to believe what the math says.
why would you include SC?

Obama definitely has to win the urban area to win... not sure why you trust the math of one poll that is +6 when every other poll including Rassmusen on Oct 10th still has it at 3 to 4 points.

I think I know why but hey... in Garvin you trust. LOL...

unbelievable... not really, but it's unbelievable to trust a huge jump from a polling place with 4 employee's in FL when their numbers are way off compared to all the other polls.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:47 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,844,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Also remember in 2008: Obama, however, did not take the traditional Democratic path to victory. Instead, his main margins came from the cities, where he did particularly well throughout the country. While Obama only won 35 of North Carolina's 100 counties, these counties contained more than half of the state's population.

Who said this originally? Democrats always get most of their support from cities. High population density correlates to Democratic votes more than anything else. (And likewise, low population density correlates to Republican votes more than anything else.)

If you look at county-by-county election results throughout the country it almost perfectly matches a population density map.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Who said this originally? Democrats always get most of their support from cities. High population density correlates to Democratic votes more than anything else. (And likewise, low population density correlates to Republican votes more than anything else.)

If you look at county-by-county election results throughout the country it almost perfectly matches a population density map.
wiki...lol.

I get what you are saying but I believe they are talking about the trend with the last Dem to win in NC (Carter) and Bill Clinton almost winning NC vs Obama.

it was proceeded by this:

Republicans have traditionally done well in the western part of North Carolina that is a part of Appalachia, while Democrats are stronger in the east. When a Democrat wins in North Carolina, almost everything from Charlotte eastward is usually coated blue. Even when Democrats lose, they often still retain a number of counties in the industrial southeast (alongside Fayetteville), the African-American northeast, the fast-growing I-85 Corridor in the Piedmont, and sometimes the western Appalachian region next to Tennessee. For example, a map of Bill Clinton's narrow 1992 loss in North Carolina shows him narrowly winning all these regions.[19]

Old 10-12-2012, 02:13 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
I guess you didn't read 2 pages back when I wrote:
I don't think Dem registration numbers mean it's all Obama... but the DEMS did a great job registering a ton of voters in 2008.

Maybe they won't vote this time around because the "history in the making" has worn off but Mitt is far from likable... I can't see a bunch of Southern Christians voting for a Mormon.

But feel free to keep telling me what I think... lol.
Actually, I gotta tell ya . . . you are misunderstanding "southern Christians" if you think folks won't vote for Romney b/c he is Mormon. The LDS folks have a lot of respect in this state, b/c they are very generous w/ their resources and time for the whole community wherever they live. Plus, there may be some folks who still don't think Mormons are Christians but everyone I know either couldn't care less what Romney's religion is or they think Mormons are good people and have no bias against their religion.

I think you are off on this one, Felt. Of course, we are both just speculating here, but I believe you are selling religious folks short to assume a Christian doesn't see anyone else but someone who is their brand of Christian as a moral human being.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:17 PM

821 posts, read 1,855,159 times
I do find a little humor in the fact that the DNC closed out their convention and a few weeks later the National Funeral Directors held their annual conference here. Aw, come on folks, you have to admit it's a little funny whether you be a D or R...or like yours truly a recovering D and recovering R and now fully recovered to Unaffiliated/Independent.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
The only poll that matters is the one on election day. Any trash talk from either side before then is useless and immature. Let's just be adults, vote for the candidate whom each of us prefers individually, and respect the free will of one another to make that decision for themselves without turning this into silly play-by-play gamesmanship.
^ ^ ^ Speculation may be entertaining, but you are so right . . . and this state is a toss up. Fact.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Actually, I gotta tell ya . . . you are misunderstanding "southern Christians" if you think folks won't vote for Romney b/c he is Mormon. The LDS folks have a lot of respect in this state, b/c they are very generous w/ their resources and time for the whole community wherever they live. Plus, there may be some folks who still don't think Mormons are Christians but everyone I know either couldn't care less what Romney's religion is or they think Mormons are good people and have no bias against their religion.

I think you are off on this one, Felt. Of course, we are both just speculating here, but I believe you are selling religious folks short to assume a Christian doesn't see anyone else but someone who is their brand of Christian as a moral human being.
If this we true I think Romney would have beat McCain in 2008...

I don't think people are in love with Romney... I think they are in hate with Obama. LOL...

Old 10-12-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
wiki...lol.

I get what you are saying but I believe they are talking about the trend with the last Dem to win in NC (Carter) and Bill Clinton almost winning NC vs Obama.

it was proceeded by this:

Republicans have traditionally done well in the western part of North Carolina that is a part of Appalachia, while Democrats are stronger in the east. When a Democrat wins in North Carolina, almost everything from Charlotte eastward is usually coated blue. Even when Democrats lose, they often still retain a number of counties in the industrial southeast (alongside Fayetteville), the African-American northeast, the fast-growing I-85 Corridor in the Piedmont, and sometimes the western Appalachian region next to Tennessee. For example, a map of Bill Clinton's narrow 1992 loss in North Carolina shows him narrowly winning all these regions.[19]
Here is the truth - I don't care what Wiki says.

North Carolina has only had - what? - 3 Republican Governors SINCE 1880!!!

Please.

No one on a GOP ticket could get elected in Western NC for Dog Catcher until the 70s, and even then it was uncommon. There were only pockets that voted anyone Republican into any position at all, even into the 90s.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
^ ^ ^ Speculation may be entertaining, but you are so right . . . and this state is a toss up. Fact.
being quiet and waiting for election day is boring...lol.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Here is the truth - I don't care what Wiki says.

North Carolina has only had - what? - 3 Republican Governors SINCE 1880!!!

Please.

No one on a GOP ticket could get elected in Western NC for Dog Catcher until the 70s, and even then it was uncommon. There were only pockets that voted anyone Republican into any position at all, even into the 90s.
Not sure if they were including local elections since they sighted Bill Clinton's narrow loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte