U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 06:48 AM

407 posts, read 726,871 times

Advertisements

I will be attending my first race(B of A 500) with son, DIL, and 5yr old grandson(who has become a huge NASCAR fan especially #20). They are flying in tomorrow. We will be departing from the Birkdale area, Huntersville Rt 73.
QUESTIONS
Best way to the Speedway? Best way out?
What time should we get there?
What to bring? Coolers, Backpacks okay?
Where to park?
Do you think a 5yr old would make it to the end of the race?
Is it best to leave before the end of the race? To me this is preferable than getting stuck in traffic for hours.
Any other advise welcome?
Too impatient to peruse and pick thru all the possible search results.
THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 07:59 AM

807 posts, read 2,041,608 times
I've only come into the speedway from 49 off of 485 and take Moorehead St. to parking lot Q. Its free parking but, a little bit of walk to the gates, very easy to get in with little traffic even close to race time. The trip out is not too bad but, at least 30 minutes to get back to 485.

I've taken my 5 year old to the the 600 and he lasted the whole race. Headsets/hearing protection is a must, it will become painfull after a while without it. You can rent the scanners outside the gates and listen to the drivers or radio, RE is the best company for hearing quality. You could also go to Home Depot (to support your #20) and buy the radio headsets, personally, I'm lost watching the race without the radio. Sometimes reception can be spotty.

You are allowed to bring a soft cooler 14x14 into the race filled with food or any beverage (including beer) as long as its not glass. Have fun.

I should mention we sit in the diamond tower (turn 2), if you are sitting in the front stretch or turn 4 you may want to consider parking closer to that side of the track.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:18 AM

3,774 posts, read 6,988,172 times
Just a heads up, that race has a horrible track record of getting rained out. Be ready to watch a Monday race, lol. I know I have...

Old 10-11-2012, 08:38 AM

106 posts, read 274,205 times
Rent a scanner and headset(s). You will not be able to talk to each other once the race starts and the cars spread out and without something to listen to, it is kind of like being deaf. There is also good stuff on the radio. You can listen to whatever driver/crew you want to and/or listen to the radio coverage. I have my own scanner, so I don't know how much the rentals are anymore, but having one adds significantly to the experience. You may also be able to rent a pair of headsets with intercoms, so you can actually talk to each other, but I'm sure that costs more.

I also always bring my own beer-filled cooler. More so than saving money is not having to leave the action, which has no commercial breaks. When there's a caution, everyone runs for the bathroom and the concession areas.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:42 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,270,905 times
I second the scanners, although the noise isn't so bad, except for starts when the cars are grouped together, unless you're sitting under the suites, or down at the edge of the track. Eventually the cars get stretched out around the track and it becomes a constant drone.

Scanners cut down on noise. They also keep you in touch with what's happening on the track. You won't hear much from the PA system, so without a scanner you may not understand what's happening.

I worked for a Charlotte based company that provided scanners to corporate clients at all the races. They can add a lot to the enjoyment of watching a race.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:43 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,465,585 times
Coming from Huntersville, I dont know if you ever taken Huntersville Concord Road before but that would be your best route and avoid as much of Hwy 73 as possible.
From 73 take a right on Hwy 115 before the tracks by CVS and go to downtown Huntersville and take left like your heading to Vermillion, take a right on Popular Tent , turn right either on Cox Mill Rd or Derita Rd both will go to Bruton Smith.

This route will have less traffic than taking Hwy 73 to 85 due not only the race but the Renaissance Festival is also going on.

We parked at free parking by the Drag way and thought we exited in a timely manner.
Weather for this weekend is clear skies.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:44 AM

642 posts, read 986,384 times
When I went to the BOA 500 a couple of years back (they only race I've attended at Lowes CMS) there were several categories of seats. Some were quite high priced whilst there were others reserved for families that were a lot cheaper. You should definitely check the Charlotte Motor Speedway website to see where you wish to sit.

yrgm mentioned scanners and ear mufflers. the lattter are an absolute MUST have. I also saw a number of folk with video scanners and these looked really cool. It seeemed that you could select cameras both inside and outside the cars - neat.

The previously mentioned drinks coolers had a further requirement and that was they had to fit under your seat so as not to obstruct the passage of other specatators past your seat.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:55 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,940,327 times
There is some big news conference on TV this morning with Dale Jr. and Rick Hendrick where Earnhardt ins't going to be in the Charlotte race due to medical reasons.

I agree with Sunny about the route to the track from Huntersville. You will want to avoid Hwy 73.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:50 PM

44 posts, read 96,118 times
Take a coat!!!

Old 10-11-2012, 04:17 PM

642 posts, read 986,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janedoe726 View Post
Take a coat!!!
Yo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or