U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-11-2012, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Union County, NC
2,115 posts, read 6,440,324 times
Reputation: 1129

Advertisements

This is such a trivial matter, but it's seriously bothered me since we moved here. Our house has one of those recesses, presumably for a TV, over the fireplace. And yes, we do have a TV there.

But I've always hated being forced to put the TV in that specific spot. Just a stupid design IMO. Can I be the only one?

I just keep thinking if we ever get to join the rest of the world in the current century and get a nice flat screen, I don't know where we are going to put it! It wouldn't fit properly there and the living room will end up being awkward if we put it elsewhere. If we wall mounted it, it would end up either over the loveseat or over the sofa, which means if you were sitting in one of those chairs, you wouldn't see the TV because it's over your head. Ugh ...

Has anyone ever filled in that spot over the fireplace??? Am I making any sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-11-2012, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
1,077 posts, read 2,199,835 times
Reputation: 992
pretty sure there's another thread on this but I mounted my flatscreen over the front of the nook, if that makes sense. built a wood frame inside the nook, flush with the front of it and slapped my tv on there, but you can't see the frame. I'm about to finish it off with a nice glass shelf right above it, you know, for the ladies, I could care less.

however, I did ponder, for a very brief moment, mounting it on the flat wall right next to the fireplace/nook, but I"m happy with what I have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2012, 04:00 PM
 
Location: Union County, NC
2,115 posts, read 6,440,324 times
Reputation: 1129
I have a window on either side of my nook. Trying to visualize the frame/set up you're describing. Thank you for the insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2012, 04:03 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
714 posts, read 2,026,476 times
Reputation: 793
If you're up for filling in that nook and mounting a flat panel there, I think you should totally do it. I really hate those nooks that were designed for bigger televisions. They had to know flat panels were coming, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2012, 04:16 PM
 
642 posts, read 986,570 times
Reputation: 640
Well. Those little nooks for 20th century TVs were almost certainly a construction choice made by a previous owner of your property who owned a hangover TV.

Above the fireplace the TV is far too high for optimal viewing. Your head, neck, eyes, etc. should be about in a straight line to the middle of the screen when you are looking level at the TV. Above the fire is a bit like watching a NASA launch, imo.

Clearly you could put an aquaruium, grandfathers ashes, flowers or a picture up there in place of the TV. However since you have the alcove already built, you could just stick a flat screen TV over the hole and still keep the ancestral ashes quite safe behind then noew TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2012, 04:16 PM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
1,077 posts, read 2,199,835 times
Reputation: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
....Trying to visualize the frame/set up you're describing....
think of a rectangle made out of wood. then the tv mount is bolted to that wood frame, then that entire frame gets mounted in the middle of the nook, "inside", so the tv mount sits just outside the opening, then mount the tv. the tv ends up being flush up against the outside of the nook, since the tv is bigger. hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2012, 05:03 PM
 
3,914 posts, read 3,941,444 times
Reputation: 1272
I don't like those nooks. I think TVs should be eye height when sitting down. I'd have it walled over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2012, 05:12 PM
 
8,402 posts, read 20,276,166 times
Reputation: 6774
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
This is such a trivial matter, but it's seriously bothered me since we moved here. Our house has one of those recesses, presumably for a TV, over the fireplace. And yes, we do have a TV there.

But I've always hated being forced to put the TV in that specific spot. Just a stupid design IMO. Can I be the only one?

I just keep thinking if we ever get to join the rest of the world in the current century and get a nice flat screen, I don't know where we are going to put it! It wouldn't fit properly there and the living room will end up being awkward if we put it elsewhere. If we wall mounted it, it would end up either over the loveseat or over the sofa, which means if you were sitting in one of those chairs, you wouldn't see the TV because it's over your head. Ugh ...

Has anyone ever filled in that spot over the fireplace??? Am I making any sense?
As you're seeing, the fireplace is the focal point of the room. Any other place the TV could have gone is a much better spot for sitting furniture. This is why the TV ended up over the fireplace in many rooms. There may be useful options...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
pretty sure there's another thread on this but I mounted my flatscreen over the front of the nook, if that makes sense. built a wood frame inside the nook, flush with the front of it and slapped my tv on there, but you can't see the frame. I'm about to finish it off with a nice glass shelf right above it, you know, for the ladies, I could care less.

however, I did ponder, for a very brief moment, mounting it on the flat wall right next to the fireplace/nook, but I"m happy with what I have.
You might consider putting a colored glass shelf in there, then uplighting it with a dimmable lamp. Or use a clear shelf and colored bulbs. The right color can help reduce eyestrain when watching TV in a darkened room.

I've built a frame that sits back far enough to use a swingout bracket. Then the DVD/cablebox/sat box/etc., can sit on the bottom of the nook, or on a shelf above the new frame, and the TV folds back against the wall and hides the other gear. Good stuff.



Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post
If you're up for filling in that nook and mounting a flat panel there, I think you should totally do it. I really hate those nooks that were designed for bigger televisions. They had to know flat panels were coming, right?
Then where would the big CRT TVs go until the homeowners replaced them? Builders have to go with what is current when an item like a TV is in question. Niches over the fireplace are still being installed in some tract homes. The intent there is to set the flat panel inside the niche. Shortsighted, if you ask me, but they didn't consult me for my professional opinion.

Last edited by vmaxnc; 10-11-2012 at 05:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2012, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Indian Trail
539 posts, read 1,311,086 times
Reputation: 266
Thankfully mine is in the corner. Have the plasma hung on the wall and have a beautiful wooden ship model that my dad built in the nook. Would never put a TV in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2012, 09:04 PM
 
Location: Indian Trail, NC
924 posts, read 1,853,830 times
Reputation: 374
We had one of those in a house we used to live in. It would hold a 37# flat screen, but before we got that, we had our tv in an entertainment center and I got a big plant and filled the hole in the wall. Now, the tv is in the bedroom and we have a bigger one in the living room. We didn't realize how small the tv was until we moved into another house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top