Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 08:05 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulok View Post
Mawi if you're from NY or anywhere up north, this is nothing, we are still in the 60s but since you're from Florida I would say bring your layers LOL

And congrats Tiffany!!! Sounds like you got an awesome deal
Thanks Bulok ... 60s I can take :-) Originally a northerner, so you're right, your current weather is doable!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 08:15 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
Congratulations to you and you boyfriend!

Especially since both of you guys proved that finding a job is never an issue for someone who really wants to get a job!
Easiest thing in the world is to complain and expect the "perfect" job...wish others would be as mature and determined like you.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:37 PM

153 posts, read 195,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
Probably South Meck High School too. You pretty much stole that house
It is South Meck High but the middle school is Quail Hollow.. not sure about that one.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
TiffanyT5814 ... congrats to you! We're just a little bit ahead of you in the house purchasing process - cleared the hurdles of inspections, appraisals, loan approvals and such, and we close in about two weeks. But now there's apparently another hurdle -- how cold is cold???? We're relocating to the Charlotte area from northeast Florida and I'm still wearing shorts and t-shirts ... should I keep my sweatshirts and longjohns at the top of the pile for an easy grab??? :-)

Seriously though ... you've had what sounds like a wild summer, so your new house and all its wonders sound like a great reward for patience and perseverance! Enjoy and best wishes!
I'm waiting for my contract to be ratified by HUD and then I'll be doing inspections and closings within the next few weeks! Really, it's not THAT bad.. but I can see where it's heading lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulok View Post
Mawi if you're from NY or anywhere up north, this is nothing, we are still in the 60s but since you're from Florida I would say bring your layers LOL

And congrats Tiffany!!! Sounds like you got an awesome deal
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Congratulations to you and you boyfriend!

Especially since both of you guys proved that finding a job is never an issue for someone who really wants to get a job!
Easiest thing in the world is to complain and expect the "perfect" job...wish others would be as mature and determined like you.
Thank you. I caught a lot of **** for moving here without a job, but I had saved, and I knew I'd either find my HR job within a month, or I'd do something at a lower level or wait tables. I turned down two receptionist positions because I was giving myself that month to get something in HR. BF also had two other sales job offers that he turned down because the job he wanted took FOREVER to let him know.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:49 PM

Location: Winston-Salem, North Carolina (But originally from Long Island)
76 posts, read 231,309 times
Yes, the JOB part can be really tough. I own a Party decorating business, and do really well here on Long Island, and I also ship all over - but when we first started looking in NC (our search was in Raleigh first - then decide on Charlotte) I realized that my business was NOT going to do well in North Carolina at all. (I do alot of Sweet 16s - Mitzvahs - Baby & Bridal Showers - etc which is not celebrated the way it is here in NY and NJ) It was almost a complete deal breaker for me, as I really enjoy what I do....but decided that I really did love NC the best of all the other places we looked into (we considered North and South FL & PA) and that I will just stick with the shipping end of my business. My husbands job is what was most important, so I wanted to focus more on what would be good for him.

I am excited for you....keep us posted!

Old 10-15-2012, 10:26 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Big Congrats on the move, the jobs and the house! It is really uplifting to hear a story that has worked out so well. Of course, you were prepared and did your homework but still . . . not everyone can put it all together as quickly as you have . . . so that is cause for celebration. Also very helpful to hear that you got job offers in a short period of time.

You got a great deal on your home and I know you are going to enjoy the area. Let us know if there is anything we can help with as you settle in. :-)

Old 10-16-2012, 06:49 AM

28 posts, read 36,999 times
Congratulations!! I'm moving to Concord from Long Island in three weeks! So excited I can barely contain myself!!
Enjoy the process!!

Old 10-16-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Big Congrats on the move, the jobs and the house! It is really uplifting to hear a story that has worked out so well. Of course, you were prepared and did your homework but still . . . not everyone can put it all together as quickly as you have . . . so that is cause for celebration. Also very helpful to hear that you got job offers in a short period of time.

You got a great deal on your home and I know you are going to enjoy the area. Let us know if there is anything we can help with as you settle in. :-)
Thanks! I did get job offers pretty quickly. I know you already live here, but for other people reading.. I didn't just move here without a job and hope it would work out. I had been networking my behind off for months. I'm in HR, so I had spoken to numerous HR Directors that weren't even hiring that agreed to send out my resume and take me to SHRM meetings as their guest. I registered at 3871904 staffing agencies.. I even got someone to interview me on a Sunday once. I visited for interviews a few times. If there was a company I was interested in, I found out the name of someone in their HR department, and sent them a short introductory email. I had my bf do the same, and one of the people that agreed to meet with him (to talk things over, she wasn't hiring) ended up being the fiancee of his current boss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmomma View Post
Congratulations!! I'm moving to Concord from Long Island in three weeks! So excited I can barely contain myself!!
Enjoy the process!!

Old 10-16-2012, 07:52 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyT5814 View Post
Thanks! I did get job offers pretty quickly. I know you already live here, but for other people reading.. I didn't just move here without a job and hope it would work out. I had been networking my behind off for months. I'm in HR, so I had spoken to numerous HR Directors that weren't even hiring that agreed to send out my resume and take me to SHRM meetings as their guest. I registered at 3871904 staffing agencies.. I even got someone to interview me on a Sunday once. I visited for interviews a few times. If there was a company I was interested in, I found out the name of someone in their HR department, and sent them a short introductory email. I had my bf do the same, and one of the people that agreed to meet with him (to talk things over, she wasn't hiring) ended up being the fiancee of his current boss.
I am really glad you shared how much effort and time (and persistence!!!!) you put into your job search. I have told folks who are considering a move here that looking for a job IS a fulltime job. You are proof that having a solid plan for finding a job - networking, following up - is everything. Plus, as you said - you even reached out in innovative ways to make connections to get known and get your resume in the right hands.

I am very impressed at your attack plan and I, personally, would be interested in hiring someone with your very logical approach to landing a position. That alone shows me you are a dedicated employee with management skills and I know others would see this, as well!

Getting a job interview is tough no matter what the economy . . . .and you managed to not only figure out how to get interviews, but get job offers! You and your fiance.

PLUS THE HOUSE!!!! You guys are going to be fine here in Charlotte - I see you settling in, finding your niche, and creating a good life for yourselves.

And I think you have shared info that lets others know . . . if they are serious about moving here and finding a job, GET A PLAN!!!! IT PAYS OFF!!!!

Again, best wishes and please keep posting about your experiences, any questions we may be able to help with . . . nice to have you on this forum.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:07 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyT5814 View Post
You are the type of person any company looks to hire. Successful companies need outstanding people.

What most job applicants don't get is that employers (specially small business owners) are always on the look to hire people with potential. But these outstanding/high potential people have to prove their worth: have a plan, passion, skill and determination in the process!

Unless you have special skills (hard to find technical skills), just sending a resume and waiting for the phone call it's not going to cut it anymore.

Congrats to you and your BF!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte