U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-14-2012, 07:23 AM
 
28 posts, read 26,002 times
Reputation: 49

Advertisements

I assume it is some sort of tool for the airport/pilots, but I hope it is some kinda alien portal ... It better not be "art".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-14-2012, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Matthews, NC
14,693 posts, read 23,068,833 times
Reputation: 14332
A Google search netted me this:

ed carpenter studio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2012, 09:34 AM
 
Location: The 12th State
22,974 posts, read 58,465,585 times
Reputation: 14917
Its another cool thing on Charlotte landscape, why do you not want art?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2012, 12:58 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
2,352 posts, read 4,024,535 times
Reputation: 3035
It's artwork that was dedicated to the memory of Susan Burgess, a city councilwoman & Mayor Pro Tem who served Charlotte for many years -

Ascendus Dedicated in Honor of Susan Burgess A Vibrant Cultural Life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2012, 05:19 PM
 
642 posts, read 986,384 times
Reputation: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
It's artwork that was dedicated to the memory of Susan Burgess, a city councilwoman & Mayor Pro Tem who served Charlotte for many years -

Ascendus Dedicated in Honor of Susan Burgess A Vibrant Cultural Life
I think it looks very cool. I have only seen it via the link you posted but, what I see there, I like. Like the plane in the pic too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2012, 07:57 AM
 
820 posts, read 1,528,460 times
Reputation: 617
If you see it from one angle as your approach, it looks like giant Cicada wings, which were in full throat at the time I first saw it and I thought appropriate. Art, yes, it is important. Then, so are sidewalks that have the benefit of improving pedestrian safety and maybe saving a life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2012, 12:31 PM
 
3,914 posts, read 3,940,327 times
Reputation: 1272
Art is in the eyes of the beholder. I can accept that. Art is important to cities. I can accept that. However, I don't think this thing will found in many picture books of interesting modern art. It ranks up there with those hideous plows at Scaleybark station or the that yellow "art" at UNCC which cost a fortune which is now hidden in the woods due to embarrassment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2012, 07:51 PM
 
1,547 posts, read 2,169,061 times
Reputation: 1400
A Bananna Split for the Chiquita Execs at Chiquita Bananna Company
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2012, 09:20 PM
 
Location: The 12th State
22,974 posts, read 58,465,585 times
Reputation: 14917
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
If you see it from one angle as your approach, it looks like giant Cicada wings, which were in full throat at the time I first saw it and I thought appropriate. Art, yes, it is important. Then, so are sidewalks that have the benefit of improving pedestrian safety and maybe saving a life.
Those are impotant amd come out of capital improvement budgets. This art doesnt cost the tax payer a dime. It comes out fees of users and vendor of the airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Art is in the eyes of the beholder. I can accept that. Art is important to cities. I can accept that. However, I don't think this thing will found in many picture books of interesting modern art. It ranks up there with those hideous plows at Scaleybark station or the that yellow "art" at UNCC which cost a fortune which is now hidden in the woods due to embarrassment.

It wont be found in books because it new. Your right art is in eye of beholder, I would love to see it lit up with 90 LED lights.

Best part it honors the late Susan Burgess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2012, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Just over the horizon
7,976 posts, read 2,736,268 times
Reputation: 4276
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Its another cool thing on Charlotte landscape, why do you not want art?
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Art is in the eyes of the beholder. I can accept that. Art is important to cities. I can accept that. However, I don't think this thing will found in many picture books of interesting modern art. It ranks up there with those hideous plows at Scaleybark station or the that yellow "art" at UNCC which cost a fortune which is now hidden in the woods due to embarrassment.

Exactly!

Art is very subjective and a hot button for a lot of people.
What constitutes art in your eyes may not be worthy of display in the eyes of others.... especially when funded with taxpayer dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:52 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top